Toronto Eglinton Line 5 Crosstown West Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Huge bike garages may not be needed right now, but a reasonable amount of bike parking spaces is always a good idea. In the urban area, suburban area, or even rural at a GO station. Bike parking costs peanuts compared to anything else: car parking, bus bays, even kiss-n-ride.

The shortage of dedicated bike lanes is unfortunate, but it does not prevent the cyclists from taking a short trip to a rapid transit station.

This is exactly why you can't just drop higher order transit in certain areas and expect density and accessibility to come with it.

A lot of our suburbs were designed for motorists - not pedestrians, cyclists or efficient transit.

Culturally speaking I think we still have a ways to go before something like that (the bike garage) is considered a sensible investment for a suburban transit station.
Something on that scale? Certainly. But we can provide that quality of investment in bike parking. As it stands, we give people crappy insecure outdoor parking, or make them go on a waiting list for a very small pool of lockers that they have to pay for whether they use or not. Imagine we forced GO users to go on a waiting list for a parking spot and pay for it every day regardless of whether they use it.

Huge bike garages may not be needed right now, but a reasonable amount of bike parking spaces is always a good idea. In the urban area, suburban area, or even rural at a GO station. Bike parking costs peanuts compared to anything else: car parking, bus bays, even kiss-n-ride.

The shortage of dedicated bike lanes is unfortunate, but it does not prevent the cyclists from taking a short trip to a rapid transit station.
There is a good argument for providing inexpensive/free, high quality bike parking. It is cheaper than providing free parking or a subsidized bus ride. It doesn't need to be quite as splendid as these examples, but providing some weather protection, some security (cameras, restricted/controlled access, etc.) and modest amenities like bike repair/air pump would go a long way.

There is a good argument for providing inexpensive/free, high quality bike parking. It is cheaper than providing free parking or a subsidized bus ride. It doesn't need to be quite as splendid as these examples, but providing some weather protection, some security (cameras, restricted/controlled access, etc.) and modest amenities like bike repair/air pump would go a long way.
There’s a biking garage downtown Quebec City. That is one hilly place to bike.

From link.
20201005_station_maps_r3_page_1.jpg

"Tunnel boring machines (TBMs) are assembled and lowered into the ground at the launch shaft. Launch shaft construction is expected to begin in the summer of 2021 and the TBMs are expected to launch in spring 2022."
20201005_station_maps_r3_page_002.jpg

20201005_station_maps_r3_page_003.jpg

20201005_station_maps_r3_page_004.jpg

20201005_station_maps_r3_page_005.jpg

20201005_station_maps_r3_page_006.jpg

20201005_station_maps_r3_page_007.jpg

Headwalls for the Martin Grove, Kipling, Islington, and Royal York station boxes will be constructed during the advance tunnel work, expected to begin in summer 2021.

Realignment of Eglinton Avenue West at Scarlett Road​

• During the advance tunnel work, Eglinton Avenue West will be realigned to the south between Scarlett Road and the pedestrian bridge to make room for the tunnel portal and elevated guideway. Temporary lane and turn restrictions, closures and traffic detouring will be required during construction.
  • During the realignment, the access ramp on the southeast side of the pedestrian bridge will be moved to the southwest side. Access to the bridge will be maintained throughout construction but there may be a short, temporary closure during the switch over.
  • During the stations, rail and systems contract, expected to begin in 2025-2026, we anticipate impacts to the driveway serving the condominium properties on the north side.
Road realignment work is expected to begin in the fall of 2022.
20201005_station_maps_r3_page_009.jpg

An elevated station structures for Scarlet Road and Jane would be wider than the guideway to accommodate passenger space and would also have a larger at-grade footprint to function as station entrances.

Last edited:
RE: The elevated alignment around Scarlett Road, I wonder how the LRT will interact with the new development that's supposed to take place literally right next to tracks (link).

RE: The elevated alignment around Scarlett Road, I wonder how the LRT will interact with the new development that's supposed to take place literally right next to tracks (link).
The new development at Scarlett Road & Eglinton Avenue West is to the north. They will be realigning Eglinton Avenue West to the south, to make room for the portal.

image_20_view_of_eglinton_ave_at_scarlett_west_5.jpg

image_21_view_of_eglinton_ave_at_scarlett_east_4.jpg

Now they'll have to remove the tree saplings on the south side (and part of the north side) of Eglinton Avenue West, and replant with new saplings after everything.

See link for better information.

43895-129685.jpg

43895-129687.jpg

The site is an irregularly shaped parcel located on the northwest corner of Eglinton Avenue West and Scarlett Road. The property is currently occupied by two attached, but functionally separate 20-storey rental apartment buildings, home to 366 residential units and two ground floor commercial units, surface parking, and a large open area on the Eglinton frontage. The elevated Scarlet station on the Eglinton Crosstown West Extension, for which the first construction contracts are expected to be awarded later this year, will be at the site's doorstep.
The existing twin 20-storey conjoined twin buildings on the site would remain.

Well, I tried to explain the situation in the SSE thread, without much success. But will try one more time.

There is no point building parking garages in the middle of Etobicoke. Eg West LRT will get a substantial percentage of its riders just walking to the stations. For those who live too far to walk, central Etobicoke has a decent bus network, and every bus route crossing Eglinton will connect to at least one EWLRT station.

The interceptor parking garages need to be built at the edge stations. In case of EWLRT, the natural location is at the Renforth Gateway. If someone is driving from Bolton via 427, or from Milton via 401, they can leave the car at the edge of 416, and take the LRT if it goes where they want to go. For example, to the Yonge & Eglinton area. If there is no parking there, they will drive all the way to their destination. They will not switch to their local bus that runs once in 90 min, or to GO that only runs to Union.

The policy of not having parking spaces at the edge stations is effectively pro-emission (encourages more car-kilometers driven), even though its proponents are kidding themselves into believing they are pursuing the green agenda.
Its in the burbs, not many people will be walking up compared to bus transfers.

I can understand putting parking lots at the extremities of transit lines (eg Kipling-Islington which is close to one continuous parking lot these days), but mid-route locations should not have them. Scarlett is doubly inappropriate given topography. If absolutely essential, put it in the flats at Jane. (although the last thing we need is to sacrifice parkland for parking lots).

I do wonder if a direct Dixon-Scarlet bus, perhaps express, might draw well. Dixon to Mount Dennis will mean a much slower grind down Lawrence, and it's a 2-ride jog to access the Crosstown via Weston. A fare-integrated high frequency 2WAD RER will help connect to Dixon at Weston, but that's a ways away.

Having seen Keele and Old Mill used for decades as a convenient park-and-ride for commuters... only to have demand exceed supply... I would say, don't create a situation we will have to back out of once the lot is full.

- Paul

I can understand putting parking lots at the extremities of transit lines (eg Kipling-Islington which is close to one continuous parking lot these days), but mid-route locations should not have them. Scarlett is doubly inappropriate given topography. If absolutely essential, put it in the flats at Jane. (although the last thing we need is to sacrifice parkland for parking lots).

I do wonder if a direct Dixon-Scarlet bus, perhaps express, might draw well. Dixon to Mount Dennis will mean a much slower grind down Lawrence, and it's a 2-ride jog to access the Crosstown via Weston. A fare-integrated high frequency 2WAD RER will help connect to Dixon at Weston, but that's a ways away.

Having seen Keele and Old Mill used for decades as a convenient park-and-ride for commuters... only to have demand exceed supply... I would say, don't create a situation we will have to back out of once the lot is full.

- Paul
If it wasn’t for the hydro wires I would not understand the parking situation at Kipling and am happy to see islington parking go. Crazy to think EGLINTON WEST had parking a decade ago.

If it wasn’t for the hydro wires I would not understand the parking situation at Kipling and am happy to see islington parking go. Crazy to think EGLINTON WEST had parking a decade ago.
The hydro wires could be raised higher, if needed. Eglinton Avenue West, east of the 427, is not directly under a flight path to or from the Pearson Airport runways.

Agreed; I would not put any parking lots mid-route in Etobicoke. Not even at Jane; the space is available there, but the roads leading there are not very wide and will be additionally clogged by cars going to the parking lot.

The only good place for a parking lot or a parking garage on the Eg West extension, is at Renforth Gateway.

Back