• Start date
P1230482.jpg

P1230483.jpg

P1230467.jpg

New trees loving an early summer...

P1230464.jpg

Staircase railing work...

P1230469.jpg

Upward-pointing large spots (four in this section)...

P1230471.jpg

P1230470.jpg

P1230473.jpg

The seating with under-lighting almost seems like the lobby's travertine...

P1230474.jpg

P1230478.jpg

(And from last evening...also note the crane to the right of L-Tower.)..

P1230428.jpg

P1230435.jpg

Photos taken June 5th, 2021:

First, a focus on those very expensive Dawn Redwood trees at the corner:

1622906833121.png

1622906862585.png

Upclose, still looks healthy......but may need a bit of pruning:

1622906925978.png

More new trees along the Bay Street frontage:

1622906977831.png

1622907006235.png

1622907027516.png

All the visible tubing above is irrigation. But the fact that it's above ground, after planting suggests it's temporary.

I'm not overjoyed at the height of the rootball (burlap) of the tree seeming to be above-grade. I can't see what is really where since it's covered by the burlap, but I want all the roots below-grade. Hopefully that works out.........

As one can see, a ground cover has been planted; that's true for the planter w/the Redwood as well, as can be seen in the pic below:

1622907242910.png

Now for some construction photos on the new phase:

1622907289248.png

As can be see, crews were at work this morning:

1622907320939.png

1622907347616.png

All the visible tubing above is irrigation. But the fact that it's above ground, after planting suggests it's temporary.

I'm not overjoyed at the height of the rootball (burlap) of the tree seeming to be above-grade. I can't see what is really where since it's covered by the burlap, but I want all the roots below-grade. Hopefully that works out.........
I generally defer to your opinion, but I have seen more and more of these irrigation tubes on the surface (or covered only by mulch.) I suspect they MAY be permanent and that they MAY be covered by mulch.

I generally defer to your opinion, but I have seen more and more of these irrigation tubes on the surface (or covered only by mulch.) I suspect they MAY be permanent and that they MAY be covered by mulch.

While possible, it isn't likely.

The City often requires irrigation for the first 2 years (which also happens to be the warranty period of the trees, normally) .

Tubing on or near the surface, sometimes covered w/mulch is classic for a short-term system.

Permanent systems tend to be below-grade.

If for no other reason than aesthetics.

But they are also more prone to damage when at the surface, from weather or humans or other animals.

That said, I've seen stranger things..

Last edited:
Photos taken June 5th, 2021:

First, a focus on those very expensive Dawn Redwood trees at the corner:

View attachment 325420

View attachment 325421

Upclose, still looks healthy......but may need a bit of pruning:

View attachment 325422

More new trees along the Bay Street frontage:

View attachment 325423

View attachment 325424

View attachment 325425

All the visible tubing above is irrigation. But the fact that its above ground, after planting suggests its temporary.

I'm not overjoyed at the height of the rootball (burlap) of the tree seeming to be above-grade. I can't see what is really where since its covered by the burlap, but I want all the roots below-grade. Hopefully that works out.........

As one can see, a ground cover has been planted; that's true for the planter w/the Redwood as well, as can be seen in the pic below:

View attachment 325429

Now for some construction photos on the new phase:

View attachment 325437

As can be see, crews were at work this morning:

View attachment 325438

View attachment 325439
Great shots, I love the focus on the plantings. Those Dawn Redwoods really add some life and colour to an otherwise drab corner. Love it.

Does anyone have a bird's eye view of the overbuild park? I’m dying for an update here.

I think last we heard they were pumping soil up there.

great photos thanks for posting 👍
I always see all these concept photos of trees on top of roof tops , but won't roots damage the roof and cause leaks ??

The overbuilt park is giving me mega Hong Kong vibes. Particularly IFC, exchange square area.

Obviously not exactly the same but it really reminded me of this for some reason (none of these are my photos. All from google most are stock photos 2nd is from NYT)

exchange-square-plaza-with-the-forum-and-henry-moore-sculpture-hong-M7F98R.jpg

merlin_162357051_d152fd38-98e4-46c3-ad1b-611bc0256279-articleLarge.jpg
hong-kong-march-stainless-steel-sculpture-above-clouds-ren-zhe-hong-kong-exchange-square-above...jpg
artist-ju-mings-tai-chi-series-bronze-sculpture-holding-a-whip-crouching-GJ5YFX.jpg

It's probably just the fact that this is an over built park with geometric shapes and staggered layers which is why those construction photos reminded me of it, but I digress

great photos thanks for posting 👍
I always see all these concept photos of trees on top of roof tops , but won't roots damage the roof and cause leaks ??
The trees are in planters just like house plants. Just really big versions. Waterproofed, with drainage and such to contain the roots and keep that all separate from the building beneath it.

The banks have delivered yet another stunning addition to our skyline. Sometimes I wish they were responsible for all the new buildings in our city 😄

The street level is shaping up very nicely as well. Those trees will look great as they grow along that stretch.

Back