News   Apr 19, 2024
 333     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 558     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 932     3 

Evocative Images of Lost Toronto

Yonge south of Dundas, west side, between 1970-72. All demolished a few years later for the Eaton Centre. Love the signage (and the cars).

s1465_fl0312_it0066.jpg

Building the Spadina subway south of Eglinton 1975. Caption in the TPL:

A huge hole where the Spadina subway will be running some day is all that remains of Everden Rd., in the Eglinton-Bathurst area. The noise and dirt in houses Metro owns in the construction area are so bad that a Metro report recommends rent cuts of up to $46 a month. One residents says: I guess I'm just easygoing. When they start the machines at 7 in the morning. I put the pillow over my head. A neighbor with a baby has moved away.

tspa_0115685f.jpg

There is now a No Frills just a little to the north of St Clair at Alberta Ave, east of Oakwood Ave. It was formerly the site of a football stadium built in the 1920s, but the team that had been using it folded in 1949. In 1951 it was used as a stock car racing speedway. I guess some nit-picking busybody must have complained about an unlicensed speedway operating in their neighbourhood and having racing there on Friday nights. It seems the City of Toronto forced it to shut down before they had even finished their first season of racing. How rude of them. 🤣
(There's some photos with these articles.)
https://stclairwest-oralhistory.com/journal/history-of-oakwood-speedway
Edit: A June 1, 1951 Globe and Mail article headlined “Oakwood Car Racing Gains Respite in Court” had it that “100 residents of the area around the stadium protested earlier in the week that the races were noisy and smelly… the loud-speaker used to announce … the races … made even more noise than the races themselves.”

Last edited:
Construction of Bremner Boulevard, looking west from York Street. (1997?)

Since I had no idea who he was, here's a link about Mr. Bremner:
Scan_20200622 (14).jpg

acc7.jpg

Pile of dirt from construction up against the east side of York St.

acc8.jpg

Last edited:
Construction of Bremner Boulevard, looking west from York Street. (1997?)

Since I had no idea who he was, here's a link about Mr. Bremner:
View attachment 322092

Fun fact: It was originally named The Esplanade West. Inside the Rogers Centre by one of the gates there is signage indicating an exit to "the esplanade".

Last edited:
True!
In early plans for what became Southcore, The Postal building was more intact - usually depicted as the taxidermied base of a new skyscraper. The Esplanade bent at Yonge, went along the Postal Building's north side as it emerged from under the tracks, and then joined to where Bremner is today.

Back