Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

The first idea I heard for the yard is still the best. Build the Obico yard to service line 2. Then the Greenwood yard would be freed up to service this relief line. Of course that would require the same rail gauge and train width to service both lines. And then that would deny people the credit they would so rightfully deserve for inventing the wheel once more.

The first idea I heard for the yard is still the best. Build the Obico yard to service line 2. Then the Greenwood yard would be freed up to service this relief line. Of course that would require the same rail gauge and train width to service both lines. And then that would deny people the credit they would so rightfully deserve for inventing the wheel once more.
Depends on the width of the Ontario Line trains. If the Ontario Line trains are narrower they could run it in the Line 2 tunnels, but only if they decide on using dual gauge tracks.
dual-gauge-track-example-that-allows-the-passage-of-trains-of-two-different-track-gauges-narrow-gauge-railway-and-broad-gauge-railway-with-freight-wag-T9RM9W.jpg

From link.

1920px-Mixed_gauge_Sassari.jpg

From link.

Yeah, why is this minority community complaining? They should just shut up and do whatever the government demands.

I'm amazed at how easily people accept the government doing these things without any community consultation.
See you misunderstand what "community consultation" means to some people

community consultation is now the new nimby

You use "community feedback" to say "we are opposed to this being near us therefore cancel the project"

take for example the leslieville, There litterally was a question in the AMA webinar a few weeks ago

"If enough people are against this project will you cancel the ontario line running beside the GO tracks"

I know this thread has bashed on the leslieville complaints over and over again, but at some point you gotta say "okay there are now sound walls and we paid every business owner 5x their annual income we good now?"

The rail yard thing is even dumber, Metrolinx has already said they negotiated with the 5 or so businesses to move them, you dont hear the businesses complaining, The people are litterally complaining for them

You use "community feedback" to say "we are opposed to this being near us therefore cancel the project"

take for example the leslieville, There litterally was a question in the AMA webinar a few weeks ago

"If enough people are against this project will you cancel the ontario line running beside the GO tracks"

I know this thread has bashed on the leslieville complaints over and over again, but at some point you gotta say "okay there are now sound walls and we paid every business owner 5x their annual income we good now?"

The rail yard thing is even dumber, Metrolinx has already said they negotiated with the 5 or so businesses to move them, you dont hear the businesses complaining, The people are litterally complaining for them
There comes a time when enough community consultation has been done, and I think we're already past that. If we want to retain any hopes of a 2030 opening, it is imperative that there's no more legal obstacles stopping construction from starting as planned. In the long run, we'll see that adding the Ontario Line was a net positive to the city (By far), and by then such arguments won't even be remembered.

Depends on the width of the Ontario Line trains. If the Ontario Line trains are narrower they could run it in the Line 2 tunnels, but only if they decide on using dual gauge tracks.
dual-gauge-track-example-that-allows-the-passage-of-trains-of-two-different-track-gauges-narrow-gauge-railway-and-broad-gauge-railway-with-freight-wag-T9RM9W.jpg

From link.

1920px-Mixed_gauge_Sassari.jpg

From link.
that probably wouldn't be a solution. What you are showing is called a gauntlet track it's where fright traffic is switched to a secondary set of rails around a passenger platform. Also, TTC gauge is 4 ft 10 7/8 inches well standard gauge is 4 ft 8 1/2 inches there isn't really enough space to be able to have both gauges on it.

Community consultation is the responsibility of the government.

This government isn't consulting, they're making decisions without any community input and then sharing the news.

It's a strip mall with a parking lot they want to "save". They will move the stores to new and larger facilities close-by.

They are not touching East York Town Centre nor the high-rise buildings.

This is irrelevant.

We are deciding for these people that their community isn't important just because it's a strip mall.

There's a long history of Canadian governments damaging, destroying or "moving" minority/marginalized communities based on their own interests instead of what's actually best for the community.

All of this could've been avoided with real consultation with this community and developing a plan with them.

Isn't one of the Ford mantras "Respect For Taxpayers"? I think these particular taxpayers deserve respect too.

There's a long history of Canadian governments damaging, destroying or "moving" minority/marginalized communities based on their own interests instead of what's actually best for the community.
There is a big difference between what you are implying and land being expropriated for public transit use.

All of this could've been avoided with real consultation with this community and developing a plan with them.
The general public aren't transit planners and designers. The team working on the design is clearly considering community feedback, there is evidence of this throughout the process. I expect Metrolinx is going directly to community groups and business owners instead of soliciting general feedback when in the early phases of a project.

I'm sorry but there is a difference and to imply that there isn't then that is incredibly wrong.

I think to deny the similarities is incredibly wrong and short-sighted. And quite sadly it's why this kind of thing keeps happening.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

The general public aren't transit planners and designers. The team working on the design is clearly considering community feedback, there is evidence of this throughout the process. I expect Metrolinx is going directly to community groups and business owners instead of soliciting general feedback when in the early phases of a project.

Apparently not.

I think to deny the similarities is incredibly wrong and short-sighted. And quite sadly it's why this kind of thing keeps happening.

We'll have to agree to disagree.
They are not similar at all and I think that you should stop suggesting that it is. With expropriation they have to give fair market value for the land and buildings. What we did when you are implying is get them drunk hand over a bunch of stuff like blankets and beeds and have them sign something in a language that the didn't understand.

Back