News   Mar 28, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 571     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 874     0 

UrbanToronto Rules Of Conduct

Yes I have vaguely noticed the issue (it did spill over on Twitter). The outcome of the trial is interesting, almost Solomonic.

AoD
In reading back in some of the earlier forums at this site, not only do I find far more ...mmmm...'extreme' language than what I've been 'punished for' (one merely asking a question and being accused of "sexist comments") but they still stand! Perhaps 'moderating' was done differently in the 'early days' of these fora, but it certainly appears to be a moving criteria, especially when one asks another poster the reason for their outrage at my using the term "babes".

If "babes" used third person upsets the powers that be at this publication, then they live in an alternate reality to actual events.

P. S. Just curious... What were the moderator-made edits to my previous post?
Oh now I know the answer: it removed the following image:

Attachments

• upload_2017-7-7_12-51-55.png
    upload_2017-7-7_12-51-55.png
    697.2 KB · Views: 507
What do mods have against bat flips made by a Jay whose number isn't 19?
When I first attached it to my post, it was there, but soon, it was removed. At the bottom of the post it reads:
Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2017

As for what they might have against it, look at behind the pitcher's mound.

TI

I'd like to propose something. When posting a link to something in Twitter, users should include a one-sentence description of what is in the linked post. "Photo of the building" or "news about the public information session." It's annoying to have to go to another site to find out whether what's there is of interest or not.

We need to be able to control the members to keep the discussion from going to hell. Telling a mod to go buy an iphone is not going to get you banned but telling them to f-off will. Of course telling another member to f-off will also get you out of here pretty fast.

We are not going to be too heavy handed with this and everyone will be warned first.

I had an issue with a MOD today and have to tell you I'm extremely disappointed with respect to how this rule is being enforced. I made a post that was sort in the gray area of being "Netiquette" as he put it. Seeing as there's tons of posts similar to the one I made, where I agreed with someone instead of just hitting the like button, things can get murky when engaging in a discussion like this.

I was quoted with a very disrespectful response. I replied back to the MOD in a diplomatic way while at the same time just letting him know I didn't think his response for a MOD was appropriate. I was PM'd with a warning that by simply talking back to MOD, I could be banned. I must say, this seems like abuse of power and over the top to expect your members to be spoken to in a certain way, and threatened to be banned if they have an issue with it.

I had an issue with a MOD today and have to tell you I'm extremely disappointed with respect to how this rule is being enforced. I made a post that was sort in the gray area of being "Netiquette" as he put it. Seeing as there's tons of posts similar to the one I made, where I agreed with someone instead of just hitting the like button, things can get murky when engaging in a discussion like this.

I was quoted with a very disrespectful response. I replied back to the MOD in a diplomatic way while at the same time just letting him know I didn't think his response for a MOD was appropriate. I was PM'd with a warning that by simply talking back to MOD, I could be banned. I must say, this seems like abuse of power and over the top to expect your members to be spoken to in a certain way, and threatened to be banned if they have an issue with it.
I am not (thank god) a mod but I think you need to remember that this is not a 'democratic' site and is actually owned by someone. Like it or not, the Rules exist and are enforced (maybe not always exactly equally) and, in general, must say the mods do a great job of 'editing' and organising. If you do not like the Rules or find that you are being muzzled you can always go and post on another site - the internet has many!

I am not (thank god) a mod but I think you need to remember that this is not a 'democratic' site and is actually owned by someone. Like it or not, the Rules exist and are enforced (maybe not always exactly equally) and, in general, must say the mods do a great job of 'editing' and organising. If you do not like the Rules or find that you are being muzzled you can always go and post on another site - the internet has many!

Of course I can, but given the nature of the site ( a site that was created to encourage discussions about buildings in Toronto) I just feel like if they want members to participate, no need to be treated with disrespect and then being threatened to be banned because you expressed your opinion about it. I generally speaking do a pretty good job at being ""Netiquette" so have a MOD speak to me or a simple "I agree" post, is unethical and counter productive to the nature of this site. He could have made his point in a much more diplomatic way.

I'm not asking for a lot, just to be treated in a respectful way.

In my admittedly limited experience, a forum rule that prohibit debating, questioning, etc. a moderator's decision action is pretty standard. They are people - they volunteer.

does your limited experience think it's okay to be talked to disrespectfully? Because that's what we're talking about it.

does your limited experience think it's okay to be talked to disrespectfully? Because that's what we're talking about it.
One person's "disrespectful' is another's "forceful argument". If you post on public fora like this you need to expect some posts (or mod comments) that 'attack' in one way or another.

One person's "disrespectful' is another's "forceful argument". If you post on public fora like this you need to expect some posts (or mod comments) that 'attack' in one way or another.

Regardless, the lines are quite blurred in here sometimes, no members should be felt like they're being treated unfair.

I really can't comment because I wasn't there. Being "disrespectful" is a usually matter of perspective and context.

Doesn't matter if you were there. Do think MOD's treat people with respect? Simple question that deserves a yes or no answer.

Anyway, the issue has been cleared up with the MOD in question.

Back