Toronto Yonge at Wellesley Station | 129.2m | 41s | Plaza | BDP Quadrangle

I'm OK with it. It's got clean lines, let's see how the materials look once construction is in gear. I agree with others that not all infill projects have to be dazzlers. This one seems to be sensible enough. In a few years' time I rather doubt anyone will be moaning that it ruined that part of the city.

I'm sort of annoyed by prim, squat podiums.

Are they "deferring" to the scale of 3 & 4-storey houses on Maitland? Seems retrograde for site so centrally located.

Reactions: xy3
This looks decent and will fit in. I like how the podium matches the heights of the apartment buildings on the street

It would be nice to see some retail in the base. It looks like a lot of open space around it though? Might just be the rendering, but would cool for pedestrian mews and/or space for patios.

They really need to co-ordinate the plans for this one with the plans for the Green P, at least in a general sense. If the Green P's eventual development is going to include a large open space at the south end there exists an excellent opportunity for this building to engage with that. Having a lively edge housed in the podium could generate a lot of animation in that square.

I don’t get why there are no balconies on the south side. I’d rather have a south-facing balcony in this unit because you know what the buildings to the south will be like for the next 10-20 years but the west side is a gamble - you could end up staring at the next building over.

What was agreed to:

1620393461613.png

1620393538502.png

1620393661553.png

What are we saying about the chances of the parking lot next door being expropriated (or bought) for use as a public park?

It certainly won't be expropriated.

That lot is owned by the Toronto Parking Authority, of which the sole owner is The City of Toronto.

Will it become a park?

Maybe; the TPA had been looking to sell it at one point, as that would be a lot of coin........

However, a park is certainly a possibility.

If you wish to push for that outcome, be sure and email the local Councillor.

What are we saying about the chances of the parking lot next door being expropriated (or bought) for use as a public park?

From the report, good chances I’d imagine!

“[16] Along the west lot line, Mr. Smith said the Settlement Proposal introduces a 279 sq m on-site public park (10 percent of the Subject Site), with a minimum frontage of 5.31 m on Maitland Street, which is to be conveyed to the City of Toronto and combined with a new public park on City-owned lands immediately to the west (15 Wellesley Street East). To accommodate the park, the west face of the proposed podium has been shifted east by 3 m to a total setback of approximately 8.3 m from the existing lot line, providing a 3 m setback to the park.”

From the report, good chances I’d imagine!

“[16] Along the west lot line, Mr. Smith said the Settlement Proposal introduces a 279 sq m on-site public park (10 percent of the Subject Site), with a minimum frontage of 5.31 m on Maitland Street, which is to be conveyed to the City of Toronto and combined with a new public park on City-owned lands immediately to the west (15 Wellesley Street East). To accommodate the park, the west face of the proposed podium has been shifted east by 3 m to a total setback of approximately 8.3 m from the existing lot line, providing a 3 m setback to the park.”
Yeah, this seems like the perfect lot to turn into a park. 11 Wellesley will take over being TPA parking for the area when the garage there opens. The existing lot is over a subway line which sucks for development anyway, plus it's a major site for event space for Pride (there's usually a stage set up there), and there's a lack of other available new park space in the area..

I wonder what used to be there before it became a parking lot. Anyone knows?

Not sure, couldn't come up w/something quickly.

But the place to look would be records for the Yonge Subway construction.

The subway tunnel is directly under the parking lot, which is why it is City owned.

It was acquired for the subway.

So what was there was likely demolished ~1950'ish.

That’s a massive increase in studio apartments and a massive drop in 1/2 bedrooms. Shouldn’t this concern TO Planning and Council? Is this the effect of delays in the planning process - or was the first proposal never gonna get built?

Back