Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

Anyhoo, back to the *real* - that Exhibition station looks really wanting - an illegible mess in an area that is already quite messy.

AoD
I'm not sure why they don't just close off the south side of Atlantic to make it pedestrian-only, and extended it elevated to create a nice pedestrian bridge/Station Concourse. That pedestrian connection needs to be built to handle high numbers of people, and ramping up off Atlantic seems like the best way to do that.

Something to point out during today's meeting is that Metrolinx envisions a western extension of the line on Roncesvalles or Dufferin with somebody else suggesting an extension of the line to Mimico. This can be found at 1:02:04.

I made a few different scenarios of a western/northern extension of the line on Google My Maps. Link: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=14H-dpkml_ZV4DkGB1EEgoxpMcw_dy-ng&usp=sharing

Ontario Line North (Don Mills Rd)

View attachment 316065
Stations:
Don Mills (Lawrence Ave)
York Mills East
Sheppard-Don Mills
Van Horne
Finch-Don Mills
Seneca College

Ontario Line West Scenario #1 (Dufferin St)

View attachment 316066
Stations:
Dufferin Loop
King-Dufferin
Queen-Dufferin
Little Portugal
Dufferin Mall
Dufferin
Dupont West
Corso Italia
Rogers
Fairbank
Glencairn West
Lawrence-Dufferin
Yorkdale West
Wilson

Ontario Line West Scenario #2 (Roncesvalles)

View attachment 316067
Stations:
Dufferin Loop
Queensway
Roncesvalles
Dundas West

Ontario Line West Scenario #3 (Jane St)

View attachment 316068
Stations:
Dufferin Loop
Queensway
Windemere
Jane
Annette
St Clair-Dundas
Alliance
Jane-Eglinton
Jane-Lawrence
Wilson West
Exbury
Jane-Sheppard
Yorkwoods
Jane-Finch
Shoreham
Pioneer Village

Ontario Line Scenario #4 (Mimico)

View attachment 316069
Stations:
Dufferin Loop
Queensway
Windemere
Humber Loop
Park Lawn
Mimico

Sorry for such a long response!
I've always envisioned this going up Dufferin at some point.

At the very least, they have to do something about Dufferin because the development along that corridor is nonstop and the traffic & bus congestion a complete nightmare.

For everyone questioning why some Ontario Line communities are upset (excerpts):

"The project will reduce commute times by up to 22 minutes and bring the subway closer to the people who will live in the centre of vibrant new communities in heart of York Region in the coming years, curbing traffic congestion as those burgeoning neighbourhoods grow."

"As Metrolinx brings big transit benefits to communities in York Region and Toronto that will be impossible to ignore, there’s a strong focus on how to design and build a subway the neighbours barely notice."

Deep Work

"One important factor that will help the extension keep a low profile is the underground tunnels below residential areas are proposed to be built at a depth where there would be no direct impact on the homes above using the latest, state-of-the-art tunnel boring machines that will carefully eat their way through soil and rock. The exact details of the depth will be determined through further study, but early plans suggest the bottom of the tunnels – where trains create noise and vibration as they pass over the tracks – will be at least 20m. below the surface through the section of the route that leaves Yonge Street. That’s roughly as deep as a six-storey building is tall.

A big benefit to the new tunnels is that they’ll be based on modern and up-to-date industry standards, which have significantly improved since the first subway lines in the GTA were built many decades ago. They’ll be surrounded by thick reinforced concrete and will be built to strict design and engineering standards. This proven technology will ensure future subway services won’t be a disruption for the community."

Great job Metrolinx!

It appears some communities are more important than others.

Last edited:
"One important factor that will help the extension keep a low profile is the underground tunnels below residential areas are proposed to be built at a depth where there would be no direct impact on the homes
Stop right there, or I'll punch the computer screen and break it. This hypocrisy is the main reason why I cannot back this project.

Stop right there, or I'll punch the computer screen and break it. This hypocrisy is the main reason why I cannot back this project.

Actually, it should be hypocrisy made it impossible to back the other projects - and also hard to take the proponent in good faith. The merits of this project should stand (and fall) on its' own.

AoD

Actually, it should be hypocrisy made it impossible to back the other projects - and also hard to take the proponent in good faith. The merits of this project should stand (and fall) on its' own.

AoD
True. If this was another city, I would have the plan changed back to DRL, because I don't see much merit in the OL. If we do that, though, we will set this project back another 5-10 years.

With Ford's re-election looking less likely, although, still fairly likely, any thoughts on what other parties may propose here? I doubt any party will want to go back to DRL for the sake of time and cancelling contracts. BUT... I can see at least the NDP devising something different for Leslieville/Riverside, perhaps also moving the MSF too.

How dare metrolinx dare to run trains in a rail corridor that they already own. Absolutely shameful.

That rail corridor would be better reserved for more frequient GO service. Placing the OL in the same corridor takes space away from additional GO tracks.

Some medium-term cost savings for OL, but makes it harder to expand the GO service in the future.

With Ford's re-election looking less likely, although, still fairly likely, any thoughts on what other parties may propose here? I doubt any party will want to go back to DRL for the sake of time and cancelling contracts. BUT... I can see at least the NDP devising something different for Leslieville/Riverside, perhaps also moving the MSF too.

If the Liberals or NDP were to win Queens Park in 2022, and the OL construction wouldn't be totally signed off by that time .. yes, they would probably go for tweaks that keep the locals happier, but retain the main OL design elements to avoid delaying it much.

For everyone questioning why some Ontario Line communities are upset (excerpts):

"The project will reduce commute times by up to 22 minutes and bring the subway closer to the people who will live in the centre of vibrant new communities in heart of York Region in the coming years, curbing traffic congestion as those burgeoning neighbourhoods grow."

"As Metrolinx brings big transit benefits to communities in York Region and Toronto that will be impossible to ignore, there’s a strong focus on how to design and build a subway the neighbours barely notice."

Deep Work

"One important factor that will help the extension keep a low profile is the underground tunnels below residential areas are proposed to be built at a depth where there would be no direct impact on the homes above using the latest, state-of-the-art tunnel boring machines that will carefully eat their way through soil and rock. The exact details of the depth will be determined through further study, but early plans suggest the bottom of the tunnels – where trains create noise and vibration as they pass over the tracks – will be at least 20m. below the surface through the section of the route that leaves Yonge Street. That’s roughly as deep as a six-storey building is tall.

A big benefit to the new tunnels is that they’ll be based on modern and up-to-date industry standards, which have significantly improved since the first subway lines in the GTA were built many decades ago. They’ll be surrounded by thick reinforced concrete and will be built to strict design and engineering standards. This proven technology will ensure future subway services won’t be a disruption for the community."

Great job Metrolinx!

It appears some communities are more important than others.
There's an existing rail corridor at Riverdale/Leslieville along the OL routing. Doesn't have one for the Yonge extension - except for the final section at Richmond Hill, which requires a new route to connect with Yonge.
Please suggest an alternative that doesn't involve expropriation.

How dare metrolinx dare to run trains in a rail corridor that they already own. Absolutely shameful.

Doesn't apply to this situation.

The issue is not the rail corridor, but their hypocrisy when it comes to which communities 'deserve' complete quiet and those they pretty much ignore.

Putting the community aside, there's very clear merits to leaving the relatively tight GO corridor for GO/VIA traffic.

There's an existing rail corridor at Riverdale/Leslieville along the OL routing. Doesn't have one for the Yonge extension - except for the final section at Richmond Hill, which requires a new route to connect with Yonge.
Please suggest an alternative that doesn't involve expropriation.

There's a very long section of rail corridor they could attempt to utilize.

If York Region wants higher order transit then expropriation should absolutely be on the table.

Back