News   Apr 24, 2024
 216     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 523     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 3.1K     7 

Dundas St Rapid Transit (Metrolinx, Mississauga, Halton Region, CoT)

What's the plan exactly?
As I know, transit gets signals first or remain on tell transit cross the intersection when approaching it. More to be flush out in the next year or so.

Reactions: jys
Last edited:
... the 403 busway because there isn't much around it, nor was there much established ridership...
I think the busway in Mississauga has shown people do not necessarily have to live or work right beside a station to find them useful. Most people using them will probably connect to another local route at one or both ends for their complete journey, much like with the subways in Toronto. It gets more people where they're going faster than using purely local bus routes.

Last edited:
I think the busway in Mississauga has shown people do not necessarily have to live or work right beside a station to find them useful.
I'm sure some find them useful, but do enough find them useful?

I haven't seen any ridership numbers yet. Are they available? How do they compared to predicted?

I think the busway in Mississauga has shown people do not necessarily have to live or work right beside a station to find them useful. Most people using them will probably connect to another local route at one or both ends for their complete journey, much like with the subways in Toronto. It's still quite useful for getting people where they're going faster than using purely local bus routes.

Yes and no - Mississauga doesn't have as well-rounded feeder system as Toronto and most of the local routes doesn't run as frequently - which weakens the proposition of using the busway routes this way. Routes that connect destinations while using the busway to shorten the trip tend to be stronger in ridership.

AoD

I'm sure some find them useful, but do enough find them useful?

I haven't seen any ridership numbers yet. Are they available? How do they compared to predicted?
It just seemed that from my admittedly somewhat limited experiences that it was gradually getting used more all the time, particularly when it was getting closer to rush hour.
Here's something with a guy mentioning a number for 2018, though I suppose he probably wouldn't be proudly announcing it was a failure it that was the case, and I would assume some neutral analysis might provide a more realistic assessment.
“Our annual ridership on the Mississauga Transitway is up 14 per cent last year with 4.7 million of our riders selecting this option,” transit director Geoff Marinoff said.

Last edited:
That's a pretty health growth rate (prepandemic), over 10% annually.
Given how the system been cut up and routes removed, Riders have no choice but to use the Transitway to get to/from faster with few transfer than before.

If you take a close look at ridership, the ridership for Stations on the Transitway are less than the growth of the routes that travel it. 107 replace the 7 & 18, 109 east of Renforth is less than than to the west and is more west of Sq One. 110 is a failure before it hit the road south of UTM and still is.

2040 calls for 25,000 hourly at peak times for ridership west of Renforth and why I said it needs to be LRT, not BRT. This is for Mississauga and GO Transit Systems with GO having higher numbers.

Given how the system been cut up and routes removed, Riders have no choice but to use the Transitway to get to/from faster with few transfer than before.

If you take a close look at ridership, the ridership for Stations on the Transitway are less than the growth of the routes that travel it. 107 replace the 7 & 18, 109 east of Renforth is less than than to the west and is more west of Sq One. 110 is a failure before it hit the road south of UTM and still is.

2040 calls for 25,000 hourly at peak times for ridership west of Renforth and why I said it needs to be LRT, not BRT. This is for Mississauga and GO Transit Systems with GO having higher numbers.
25k peak hour should be light metro. And ideally it gets built somewhere more useful than the traffic sewer 403 ROW.

Personally I don’t have a huge problem with it since Mississauga is trying to push people towards hurontario where the lrt is and the city centre where people can walk more. There are only so many new buildings which can be built in a year. Now if this brt was expensive that would be a totally different story.

Personally I don’t have a huge problem with it since Mississauga is trying to push people towards hurontario where the lrt is and the city centre where people can walk more. There are only so many new buildings which can be built in a year. Now if this brt was expensive that would be a totally different story.
Mississauga needs to intensify across the board. I don't think the solution is to push MCC up to 100k per sqkm and leave the rest of the city a suburban wasteland.

As soon as you're going past lowrise, I don't see why you would limit to less than 12 stories. Dundas is very wide ROW, it can handle the height.

As soon as you're going past lowrise, I don't see why you would limit to less than 12 stories. Dundas is very wide ROW, it can handle the height.
I agree. Dundas should allow higher, and there should be a transition zone behind that allows 6-storey, followed by the area behind allowing missing-middle use and low-effort lot-splitting.

One can dream.

Back