Toronto Emerald Park Condos | 128.92m | 40s | Bazis | Rosario Varacalli

So will residents see their condo fees spike up in order to cover all the damage that was done? I presume a lawsuit can be filed against the builders if it can be proved shoddy workmanship is responsible, but it'll take years before residents see any money from that. These repairs need to be done right away.

What an absolute nightmare! This just confirms to me that all the condos going up over the last 10-15 years in the GTA are poorly built. Built for investors and not for living. So much corruption and "corner cutting" in the construction industry.

Would it be far fetched to theorize that a lot of the condos that have gone up over the last decade could potentially be torn down within 30 years? Builders made their money and ran off.

Reactions: xy3
Any condo built since the 2012 OBC must be sprinklered. That is a ton of extra pressurized water piping running throughout a building, with opportunity to burst. These floods will become more and more common as new buildings begin to dominate the housing stock. Obviously from a life safety perspective sprinklers are good, but it adds much more flooding risk.

I understand the buildings have issues, but at the end of the day I picture some poor young family with a baby or two, perhaps even owners of the units, having to deal with this type of disruption in their lives. Makes me sad. Hopefully it can be resolved quickly.

Of course most people would take a nice small house in the city with a backyard and green space, and less chance of shoddy workmanship, but we know that this isn't possible. Some families have to make choices on where they live and what they live in. I imagine a young family may have made the (perfectly fine) choice of living there. Ah well...such is life.

Any condo built since the 2012 OBC must be sprinklered. That is a ton of extra pressurized water piping running throughout a building, with opportunity to burst. These floods will become more and more common as new buildings begin to dominate the housing stock. Obviously from a life safety perspective sprinklers are good, but it adds much more flooding risk.

I know there is an auto-water shut down system that can minimize catastrophic loss from burst pipes.

I wonder how common the installation of that is?

This is an example of the idea:

Attachments

• 1619733938736.png
    1619733938736.png
    8.7 KB · Views: 175
Metro is coming! Major construction work is to begin next month. This sure is exciting
@abegailchan - I owe you an apology for my earlier sarcasm.

I can now confirm:
- the 2nd floor property owner Metro isn't coming to Emerald Park
- Metro's discount supermarket FoodBasics will be coming to Emerald Park!!!
- FoodBasics construction to start late summer early Fall - most likely September
- FoodBasics opening at EmeraldPark in Spring - targeting March 2022???

Yonge and Sheppard will be probably the only major intersection with 3 supermarket in such close proximity: FoodBasics at Bazis Emerald Park, WholeFoodsMarket at Tridel HullmarkCentre and Longos at RioCan Yonge-SheppardCentre - all within 100m of Yonge&Sheppard intersection.

Yonge and Eglinton has Metro at RioCan Yonge&Eglinton Centre, Loblaws at The Madison and FarmBoy at Art Shoppe Condos - all within 275m of Yonge&Eglinton intersection
Yonge and College/Carlton has Metro at CollegePark, FarmBoy at 777 Bay end and Loblaws at MapleLeafGardens - all within 200m of Yonge&College/Carlton intersection

Last edited:
Am I the weird one that gets happy when it's the discount brand that opens up nearby? Pretty much the same goods but for a cheaper price.

The flooding makes me feel really bad for the people living/owning there. Water damage is such a PITA to deal with.
My thoughts precisely. There's nothing the high end chains have which the discounters don't also stock, as far as I'm concerned. Waste of money in my view and I never skimp on groceries.

Even better if it'll have the same operating hours as the now closed Newtonbrook store.

Am I the weird one that gets happy when it's the discount brand that opens up nearby? Pretty much the same goods but for a cheaper price.

The flooding makes me feel really bad for the people living/owning there. Water damage is such a PITA to deal with.
They can pay for the special assessment by saving on groceries!

My previous FoodBasics early next year opening was based on 3 months to get building permits and 6 months interior construction,...
- they already started construction on interior of FoodBasics store at beginning of June (with partial permits) - maybe about 15 guys doing mainly HVAC, overhead electrical, etc,..
- recently started some drywalling/partitioning
- most supermarkets take 5-6 months for interior construction, they have market station with kitchen for roasted chicken & fresh pizza, in-store bakery, butcher shop, seafood section with aquariums, etc,... all with nice tile walls/flooring/decor - but Food Basics is very "no-frills" - just get the merchandise on the shelves and out the door - no food preparation
At this rate, FoodBasics could be open around Labour Day in September?

IMG_7450_june24.png

At 27,154sqft and maybe an additional 3,630sqft if they took the Mezzanine space - maybe for pharmacy?,... anyways, pretty much a smaller-Urban Food Basics store. And they have an already built 938sqft outdoor Patio area - built 6 years ago for the bailed Metro store.
EmeraldPark_2ndFloorPlan1.PNG

I think Food Basics will do very well in this location. The only other options for local people are Whole Foods and Longos... both of which sell at higher pricepoints.

It's too bad the original plan for T&T never panned out. T&T would've done *extremely* well, especially with the asian demographics in the area.

I think Food Basics will do very well in this location. The only other options for local people are Whole Foods and Longos... both of which sell at higher pricepoints.

It's too bad the original plan for T&T never panned out. T&T would've done *extremely* well, especially with the asian demographics in the area.
If Bazis kept their promised 2011 occupancy date to T&T, then T&T would have had the entire 2nd floor as the original buyer - everyone would have been happy.

With T&T parent company Loblaw's main competitor Metro as landlord here and frontage committed to LCBO, the remaining 30,000 sqft was Urban Grocer format territory - T&T is just starting to experiment with Urban Grocer format at 27,000sqft College & Spadina location to open this fall. https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...ll-with-new-college-and-spadina-location.html
One of the main reason for T&T bailing a second time here was lack of underground parking - Metro couldn't come up with the 100 parking spaces because Bazis already sold off too many of the commercial parking spaces when Lansing United Church had their dispute with Bazis and insisted on their own underground parking lot after Bazis tried to rip off the Church by overcharging for the new Community Centre by $1million.

Anyways, T&T will find another North York Centre location - just have to dot the i's and cross the t's,... hopefully announcement by year end.

Progress of Food Basics store,...

FoodBasics_June28.jpg

"It's beginning to look a lot like",.... a Food Basics Supermarket (Hey, I never said I was a song writer!) Looks like they'll be ready to open mid-to-late September!
IMG_7630.JPG

Seems done with interior painting, flooring is just polished concrete, ceiling HVAC/plumbing/electrical work seems done,... maybe add more lighting later. Seems to have started installing main shelving over a week ago

Interior construction continuing during the day, evening is for staff training/preparation work. This past week was eventful,....
- Monday evening I saw group of about 10 female staff watching training video on cashier procedure.
- Remember that temporary concrete wall/door replacing drywall when Metro refused to open in Spring 2015,... well it was finally replace with sliding glass doors on Tuesday.
IMG_7611.JPG

- "Food Basics Coming Soon" signage went up on Wednesday AM,.... I still get nightmares of <*cough*>LCBO<*cough*> "Coming Soon" signage
IMG_7676.JPG

IMG_7684.JPG

Back