News   Apr 19, 2024
 391     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 714     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 745     1 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

Yes, older people got to live their 20's and 30's without year long shutdowns of social spaces.
They care less about the lockdowns as a result.
Tens of millions of people in their 20s and 30s also got to, well, die.

"Nearly half of the dead—which numbered in tens of millions—were adults aged 20 to 40. World War I ended in the middle of the pandemic, and ultimately, more U.S. soldiers died from the flu than in combat." - from the link in my last post.

There were shutdowns during that pandemic, although you're right that they weren't like today. The fact that we didn't know much about viruses at the time and were in the middle of a world war had a lot to do with that.

Tens of millions of people in their 20s and 30s also got to, well, die.

"Nearly half of the dead—which numbered in tens of millions—were adults aged 20 to 40. World War I ended in the middle of the pandemic, and ultimately, more U.S. soldiers died from the flu than in combat." - from the link in my last post.

There were shutdowns during that pandemic, although you're right that they weren't like today. The fact that we didn't know much about viruses at the time and were in the middle of a world war had a lot to do with that.

The Spanish Flu was particularly deadly to healthy young adults - somewhat different from regular COVID, which hits the elderly and those with existing conditions the hardest.

BREAKING: Premier Doug Ford will announce that the government is pulling the emergency brake on the entire province after Good Friday. This means the entire province will enter a shutdown. It will last at least a month.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/covid-19-ontario-emergency-brake-lockdown-grey-zone-1.5972277

The restrictions would not be as tight as the provincewide lockdown that was imposed in December, according to the sources.

Still hedging. This is totally on him for releasing the brakes too early and baked in not just the spread, but the spread of the more virulent strains. What a piece of useless. The only colour we have is transparent - for contempt.

AoD

Last edited:
This thread is like Ground Hog day.

France again.... goes into another lockdown.

Germany could be headed into another lockdown.

Kyiv goes into lockdown.

The spanish flu also doesn't have a memorial day, people tended to get on with things instead of ruminating on tragedy.

Well, I guess John Tory isn't getting that haircut.

Honestly, I feel bad for businesses. Around a week ago they were given the green light to reopen outdoor dining and personal care services only to be shut right down again.

Look, I get it.. patios are a source of spread but personal care services are not. This not a game, this is peoples livelihood and it is not fair to anyone to keep treating it like a f***ing game.

Either open things permanently or don't announce it. S*** or get off the pot but don't announce things are reopening so they can spend money getting ready only to close again a week later. That's not fair to anyone and honestly the province should be compensating people for this stuff.

If this is true. This will certainly KILL the restaurant industry all across the province. At least with patios they had some income coming in.Weather is getting warmer, patio's are in demand. Restaurants aren't staying afloat with take out.

Want to know how much it cost to re-open a small bar from lockdown to red? Over $2,000 out of pocket. My friend spent that a few weeks ago to rep-open his bar to indoor dining when they moved to red. Now back to lockdown that money is down the drain.

If this is true. This will certainly KILL the restaurant industry all across the province. At least with patios they had some income coming in.Weather is getting warmer, patio's are in demand. Restaurants aren't staying afloat with take out.

Want to know how much it cost to re-open a small bar from lockdown to red? Over $2,000 out of pocket. My friend spent that a few weeks ago to rep-open his bar to indoor dining when they moved to red. Now back to lockdown that money is down the drain.

The government should never have reopened until it is confident enough that the reopening will be durable in the first place. They basically succumbed to the CFIB lobby (which is always what's it's always been about) with very little to show for it. And CFIB is being disingenuous by blaming the government now for "locking down" again (with the unspoken lobbying position that is basically keep everything open, 3rd wave or not).

AoD

Last edited:

That was my point exactly. It costs money to reopen, money that these businesses are not getting back.

I can see alot of businesses closing up shop rather than playing this game. I am fully expecting my salon to close up given the fact that they have been closed since November.

Back