Toronto The Well | 174.03m | 46s | RioCan | Hariri Pontarini

Yup it's official, I want to move into The Well.

Now if only I could get the money to afford the sky-high prices.

If it were blue glass it would blend into other developments and/or the sky. At least the green stands out and compliments the red brick.
Look at the rendering to see how much nicer blue/grey glass would have looked than the sickly green we got.
1617076235260.png

1617076397914.png

The render reminds of staring at an inviting pool on a warm Summer's day. The reality check below reminds of staring at same pool with a runaway algae problem. /sigh

What an astoundingly ugly part of the city. Grey on grey on grey, concrete, soulless glass for miles, asphalt, a jumbled mess of overhead wiring, 2 overpasses, ugly LRT stop, and pretty much 6 lanes of traffic. And this is the view from the waterfront. The only thing that could make it more depressing is grey skies.

Last edited:
What an astoundingly ugly part of the city. Grey on grey on grey, concrete, soulless glass for miles, asphalt, a jumbled mess of overhead wiring, 2 overpasses, ugly LRT stop, and pretty much 6 lanes of traffic. And this is the view from the waterfront. The only thing that could make it more depressing is grey skies.
Do people actually hate how the overhead wires look?
like seriously...it's not that bad.

While those fins are nice, I just find the blue-green glazing does not work well with their terracotta colour. In my opinion, had the building been glazed with clear or reflective glass, they would have worked quite well.

To quote the Jump Street movie--with an attitude like that, how you gon' make any friends, man?

I actually quite like this photo and its coverage of different infrastructure in this city. Some of it we may not love, but in no way is it ugly from this angle. This comment feels a little ignorant of the area and what's around there and why it's there. I will not defend the planning, as it's not great, but the Gardiner's existence only made that more challenging. I don't think the area is perfect (no one does), but there's a lovely amount of greenspace here mixed with some decent buildings. The only *ugly* part is the sad, car dominated space between the connection of Cityplace and the lakeshore.

Overhead wiring comes with streetcars, maybe I enjoy the messy chaos of things like those wires in cities, but if anything it's not that bad here as compared to an intersection like Queen and Spadina. The separated streetcar lane here is a blessing many places in the city desperately need.

The view of Cityplace does show some very average architecture with subpar quality, but there isn't spandrel littering the entire design vs many newer buildings in the city. I might be biased as I enjoy glass buildings because they take on the character of the sky, but the glass is soulless argument is so overdone and not constructive in any way. It's also only grey on grey days, I'm not seeing any grey in this photo. It's pleasantly blue actually, the well's glass is even a nice shade of blue here.

Just behind this perspective (which isn't anywhere as bad as you are putting it) is a lovely tree filled park along the lakeshore, it's older than the other spaces but the more mature trees really bloom in the summer. There are some lovely cafes/restaurants along this stretch too, with only one lane of traffic each way. it's quite pleasant.

I understand that to make things better we need to make our voices heard, but this feels like like needless negativity that isn't helping reshape the perspective on the space at all or building ideas upon how to improve it.

It will be glazed in. Not sealed so it's an indoor, climate controlled, environment, but fully covered.

I believe there will be lighting attached to the underside of the structure as well.

Back