News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 835     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.3K     3 

St. James Park Revitalization (PMA Landscape Architects)

Overall, the park feels "refreshed" and I like the upgrades, ex. the added benches, lighting, stage cover. But the design language is too chunky and contemporary for this particular park, IMO. I would have preferred a modern take on a more traditional design sensibility, something "thinner" and more refined-looking.

From my perspective, the design language of the pavilion pairs well with the new children's playground. I've lived in the neighbourhood since 2004 and I'm quite happy with the revitalisation master plan. Looks good!

The new stage is nice, but I do find it sticks out like it doesn't really belong. I'm not sure if it's the concrete base, or the large wooden arches (which I do like a lot actually).

As decrepit as the old round pavilion was, it felt at home there if that makes sense. Or maybe it's just what I'm used to versus the new thing. Overall the updates are a big plus in my book.

The new stage is nice, but I do find it sticks out like it doesn't really belong. I'm not sure if it's the concrete base, or the large wooden arches (which I do like a lot actually).

As decrepit as the old round pavilion was, it felt at home there if that makes sense. Or maybe it's just what I'm used to versus the new thing. Overall the updates are a big plus in my book.
The "old round pavilion" was actually not that old, it dated from the 1980s

20200927_112457.jpg
20200927_112516.jpg
20200927_112518.jpg
20200927_112538.jpg
20200927_112552.jpg
20200927_112629.jpg
20200927_112652.jpg
20200927_112709.jpg

May 3, 2021

2 of 9 tents scattered throughout the park. Last night, I counted 7. This past fall and winter, there were 3 to 5 on any given night arranged on the periphery of the park, possibly even on cathedral property.

When was the park’s $100,000s renovation finished? Less than 2 years ago?

I emailed my councillor’s office to find out when the tent dwellers will be properly housed. City parks aren’t housing and they aren't campgrounds.

DD90396E-16A1-4A32-8EE9-5BD87ABA88B7.jpeg

1AA30A40-157A-4ED6-A76B-4D42A01BCBE2.jpeg

I used to be adamantly opposed to CCTV but stuff like this has me convinced that we need tens of thousands of AI capable CCTV cameras deployed all over the city so vandals can be spotted and tracked in real time .... then fined/imprisoned. We all paid money, through taxation, for this to be built only to have some animal destroy it?

And yes, jail time is warranted here. If they don't care about us why should we care about them? Lock them up.

I understand frustration, but cmon.. "stuff like this", is just a bit of graffiti, that along with the slightly molding top piece of wood will get cleaned within time. But really? Just a slight nuisance you're ready to give away rights to privacy? As a rational tax payer, the cost of building infrastructure to buy "tens of thousands of AI capable CCTV cameras deployed all over the city so vandals can be spotted and tracked in real time " to fine and "imprison" petty offenders seem like the biggest waste of tax payer money I've ever heard of. That's not even considering the thousands of extra people you'd have to pay to house in a jail.

"They" and "us"? What is this planet of the apes?

I understand frustration, but cmon.. "stuff like this", is just a bit of graffiti, that along with the slightly molding top piece of wood will get cleaned within time. But really? Just a slight nuisance you're ready to give away rights to privacy? As a rational tax payer, the cost of building infrastructure to buy "tens of thousands of AI capable CCTV cameras deployed all over the city so vandals can be spotted and tracked in real time " to fine and "imprison" petty offenders seem like the biggest waste of tax payer money I've ever heard of. That's not even considering the thousands of extra people you'd have to pay to house in a jail.

"They" and "us"? What is this planet of the apes?

CCTV is both intrusive on the one hand, and rarely effective on the other.

I don't see that as a solution here.

Nor does jail seem appropriate to the degree of offense.

That said; I would treat it seriously, I like the suggestion (were the offender caught) that they should have to clean it; and pay the cost for same. That doesn't seem unreasonable; though it seems rather unlikely they will be caught.

But the offending graffiti is a blight on an attractive design. One doesn't want to see that sustained. Nature will not fade it for months or longer; and in the meantime its presence may encourage others.

As such it should be removed with all due haste.

Back