News   Mar 28, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 562     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 854     0 

St Lawrence Market

Starbucks is permanently closing 25 locations in the downtown next week, including two in the St. Lawrence Market, specifically 81 Front St East (between the Market and the former Jersey Giant) and the King & Sherbourne location. I'm not a Starbucks drinker and I prefer to support the indie shops, but having these prominent retail units empty or converted to cannabis retailers is not good for the neighbourhood.

The Urban Barn location at Princess & King also closed this week. It's been a prominent retail since that condo building opened about a decade ago. Another large empty space.
I live in East Lofts so I'm not entirely upset Urban Barn is gone. It was a dead zone and did terribly compared to EQ3 down the street. The size of the space they occupy would be perfect for some sort of restaurant or dynamic retail. By dynamic retail I mean a bank of course (sigh).

The Starbucks location on king and sherbourne was beautiful even if I dislike Starbucks. Hopefully a coffee shop takes over (Balzac's maybe?).

I live in East Lofts so I'm not entirely upset Urban Barn is gone. It was a dead zone and did terribly compared to EQ3 down the street. The size of the space they occupy would be perfect for some sort of restaurant or dynamic retail. By dynamic retail I mean a bank of course (sigh).

The Starbucks location on king and sherbourne was beautiful even if I dislike Starbucks. Hopefully a coffee shop takes over (Balzac's maybe?).
I agree, all furniture stores are kind of dead zones for pedestrian traffic. But I suspect condos like them because they are quiet, close early in the evenings and don't smell or attract pests. I hope that someone snaps up that location and it doesn't sit vacant for years. Do you know if the East Lofts allow food businesses on the ground floor?

The one thing Starbucks does pretty well is occupying historic buildings (or in this case, facades) in a reasonably attractive way. I also like the look of the King/Sherbourne location. The contrast between that facaded storefront on the corner and that awful yellow brick of the grim nail salon next to it is shocking.

I agree, all furniture stores are kind of dead zones for pedestrian traffic. But I suspect condos like them because they are quiet, close early in the evenings and don't smell or attract pests. I hope that someone snaps up that location and it doesn't sit vacant for years. Do you know if the East Lofts allow food businesses on the ground floor?

The one thing Starbucks does pretty well is occupying historic buildings (or in this case, facades) in a reasonably attractive way. I also like the look of the King/Sherbourne location. The contrast between that facaded storefront on the corner and that awful yellow brick of the grim nail salon next to it is shocking.
Sadly, I'm not sure about what retail is allowed in the building.

Agreed on the way Starbucks occupies retail. I suspect both will be vacant for some time until retail feels confident again.

Here is the latest schedule for the TTC track and streetscape work on Wellington, it starts 8 march.
Wellingtom schedule.jpg

Anyone down to start a betting pool on how long it takes after this rebuild for them to tear up the road again and leave it a mess? I say under 2 years post completion.
Though it is good to be prepared, the underground 'stuff on (or below) Wellington from Yonge to Church has been completely renewed. That is why this project has taken 6 or 7 years. There is a new watermain, there is a new gas main, the hydro ducts and vaults are all new, the telecom ducts and vaults are all new. I guess time will tell but ....

Here is the latest schedule for the TTC track and streetscape work on Wellington, it starts 8 march.
Two and a half months for that Front and Church intersection is quite something. Is there more going on there than just ripping out and replacing the track and road foundation? Or are they working far less than 24/7 on this one because of noise concerns?

Reactions: DSC
They are rebuilding the road I think because the curbs are changing (wider sidewalks around Flat Iron Building) and I think there may be some telecom ducts to be done at same time in the intersection itself. The junction also cannot be closed so the work areas are always moving. I would not assume that a date range means they will start of Day 1 and finish on Day 100 but that the work will occur between Day 1 and Day 100.

Signs up for another cannabis shop in the hood, “The House of Cannabis”. I’m definitely going to recommend getting high and lounging on a $9000 couch at Montauk.
CA088DBF-91F6-4695-BE2B-5D8118FAF611.jpeg

Back