Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

I find this attitude extremely unhelpful.
Are you pro-union in Canada?

Because if you are, anything you say about Chinas success in infrastructure building is anti-union. You are saying you want the same building practices here in Canada to expedite work and build things at the price that China can do it. At the cost of worker rights.

Are you pro-union in Canada?

Because if you are, anything you say about Chinas success in infrastructure building is anti-union. You are saying you want the same building practices here in Canada to expedite work and build things at the price that China can do it. At the cost of worker rights.
You are again inserting your own biases and perceptions into this discussion. You can point at countless unionized European countries that build at high speeds as well.

I'm not anti-union, but you cant say unions are infallible angels either. They force too many inefficiencies by blocking new techniques and processes that are standard practice in other unionized countries among other problems.

Montreal's REM is being built without infringing on any worker rights as a local example...

It makes perfect sense for the city to pay the difference, if they want to change the plan so badly they should be the ones to pay for it.
If they don't feel like paying the extra to bury the line then they should just get over it. Many cities around the world have elevated trains and they are just fine.
It seems like they are only short of calling doomsday if the line is built as proposed.
The city is paying for it.

Where do you think the province gets the bulk of it's revenue from?

If they can find the money to bury the EWLRT and the SSE then they could've simply expanded the original plan for this project too. Strange that we're not asking the citizens in those areas to foot the bill.

It's in everyone's best interests for this line to have maximum capacity.

Last edited:
I don't remember if this was posted or not, but last November Metrolinx released the station design specifications for the Ontario Line which can be accessed here: http://www.gosite.ca/engineering_pu...itecture Design Standard - Final Draft r0.pdf

As part of this document, they released many renders of the stations and many of these look pretty cool:
Moss Park Station: Science Center Station:
There are also many renders of "generic elevated station" designs or plazas.

I don't remember if this was posted or not, but last November Metrolinx released the station design specifications for the Ontario Line which can be accessed here: http://www.gosite.ca/engineering_public/DesignStandards/November 2020_DS-09 Subway Station Architecture Design Standard - Final Draft r0.pdf

As part of this document, they released many renders of the stations and many of these look pretty cool:
Boy I can't wait for those designs to be whittled down to to bare concrete and white walls with no other colour, we can't have anything to unique. Everything has to follow a committee approved "theme". Got to cut those costs some how.

Boy I can't wait for those designs to be whittled down to to bare concrete and white walls with no other colour, we can't have anything to unique.
Wasn’t going to say it, but yeah - given how the Crosstown stations look, I think we should be prepared for a whole lot of concrete and no warm colours.

For example I would love if we gave the stations a theme based on the neighbourhood they are in or something in the area. For example the stop at Queen and Spadina could be very east asian or chinese themed to reflect the Chinatown neighbourhood. So a very liberal use of the colour red like the picture here from a station in Beijing
1280px-地铁顺义站站厅.JPG

Maybe the stop at Queen can be "Toronto" themed to reflect the area being around City Hall; so a liberal use of the colours Blue and White. Osgoode Station could have a "justice" theme to reflect the courts so it could have a lot of white contrasted with dark tones like Black or Navy Blue. As well the station could have a more imposing structure to them like instead of using round support columns use square ones instead (shame marble is so expensive since Osgoodes, justice theme would benefit from it). The station at King Street and Bathurst can be themed around the Entertainment District so that station could have a lot more corlour and any designer can get more creative with it. I am sure there are other stations that could be themed to the area they are in.

I don't remember if this was posted or not, but last November Metrolinx released the station design specifications for the Ontario Line which can be accessed here: http://www.gosite.ca/engineering_public/DesignStandards/November 2020_DS-09 Subway Station Architecture Design Standard - Final Draft r0.pdf

These look so much better than the Crosstown stations

Perhaps the elevated part could remain elevated but covered over like the High Park and Castle Frank sections on Line 2. And cover it over with reflective material so from a distance it appears to be invisible.

Perhaps the elevated part could remain elevated but covered over like the High Park and Castle Frank sections on Line 2. And cover it over with reflective material so from a distance it appears to be invisible.
You could do that, but why would you? Vancouver doesn't need to do that, nor does Montreal, Paris, Tokyo, or any other city with elevated rail...

I’m not sure why there's so much pessimism towards guideways. We have a deteriorating elevated highway running through the downtown core yet people are so against 2 elevated tracks for a kilometre or so along a rail corridor.

Back