Toronto 400 King West | 157.37m | 48s | Plaza | BDP Quadrangle

Oh joy! You can cook from the comfort of your own bed.

It's not the worst thing ever. When I was living at 150 Sudbury Street, I handily reached into my fridge every morning for my morning sip of mineral water upon waking, without having to crawl out of my bed which was actually a futon.
Never did cook from bed though. Feel like I may have missed out.

Those types of units are maybe good for a weekend crash pad in the city or for a place to stay for a 4 day work week in town. At most. Or a summer pad in the city for three months.

I lived in mine for 26 months and the only thing that made it feasible was the absolutely massive terrace (relative to the unit), which was ~75% the are of the inside.

I thought the trend of going this small had peaked a few years ago.

Also, I'm quite unsure of the mental state of the people who are still designing these flats with full size kitchens with full size stoves and all that. Why?

Google “coliving”. If it wasn’t illegal in Toronto I’m sure it would be everywhere. Rooming houses for the “rich” and hip.

They were an affordable improvement over a terrible hotel or hostel for a 1+ month (back when Craigslist was the best way to find a cheap/clean furnished room). The newly built 561 Sherbourne has spaces like this; technically student housing but they're not restricted if units are empty after October.

Last edited:
Rendering from an IG ad by Homelife Realty:

20210206_092805.jpg

Well...that got watered down considerably. Surprise they didn't wash it all away...

Last edited:
I'm tired of negative surprises. And I'll say it again why doll up a rendering in the beginning to give us a final dull surprise at the end. It seems to happens alot in the downtown core.

I'm tired of negative surprises. And I'll say it again why doll up a rendering in the beginning to give us a final dull surprise at the end. It seems to happens alot in the downtown core.
Well i think it's happening everywhere in this city because it's taking 3-5 years to get City of Toronto approvals on mostly everything submitted ,
after that long things change, mainly finances which is one of the main reasons most developments get cheapened to a pile of garbage

I'd like to know how Toronto compares to other world cities?, i believe 18 months should be the norm

screen-shot-2019-11-22-at-1-31-54-pm-png.216441

imo This is by far the best design with red brick and warm gold colour to complement the King West architecture
I think the HPA version with ‘c u r v e s’ is a better alternative tthe current design.
48 storeys coming here by HPA
lNnvZlv.png

xH96eNv.png

Not to mention the latest render with the all white tower looks like the Riu Plaza twin towers currently going up.

Marketing is getting going on this building now, so we have a front page story up here, and it includes a new rendering of the podium, while the database file also includes a new rendering, plus some closer-up detail shots. Here are the two overall podium renderings:

400KingWPodNE1280.jpg
400KingWPodNW1280.jpg

BTW, the top three floors (elevators will only go to 47) will have 6 three-floor penthouse suites. 47 gets another single-level 3-bedroom, plus a 2-bedroom, will the mechanical penthouse will only take up some of the north side of 48 and 49, effectively hidden within the building's crown.

Not that bad considering some of the back-and-forth the design of this building has seen.

I'm wondering what kind of retail this place will have, it's a pretty sizeable lot to only have 3 tenants, could use some more fine-grain retail.

And to completely counter what I just said, I'm gonna miss the temporary Kitchen Stuff Plus store at this location. Looking at the number of pickup orders they usually have–and lineups–so will the rest of the neighbourhood. Perhaps they could open a small scale KSP.

Back