Toronto Pinnacle One Yonge | 344.9m | 105s | Pinnacle | Hariri Pontarini

I was furious when this black thing appeared on the skyline, so I salute the 100 new skyscrapers that have covered it up.

2017621-skyline-1967.jpg

Link

Looking at the photo up above of Toronto in the late 60s is a reminder of how long it took to get where we are today . Starting with the city's first major skyscraper in height over 50 years ago!

it reminds me how toronto was never meant to be as big as it is now lol
I am not sure your statement? All cities are meant to grow.
I can understand not being able to imagine the size, but never doesn't make sense.
The same thought could be put forth to Toronto's size and scale in another 50-60 years when the GTA is closer to the 10million people mark. (guestimate of course)

I was furious when this black thing appeared on the skyline, so I salute the 100 new skyscrapers that have covered it up.

2017621-skyline-1967.jpg

Link
Back then when that thing appeared, the local simian population gained intelligence and eventually became the editorial team behind the Toronto Sun...

Relax. The view has not been destroyed. Things change. Did you enjoy strolling down the industrial wasteland of queens quay 10 years ago?
Skylines should get better, not worse. Call me crazy but I think the cities best architecture should be on full display from the waterfront/postcard shots.

Toronto skyline by GAC'63, on Flickr

In the future skyline, none of that will be visible!

As for that industrial wasteland, you don't need tall buildings there to improve it. Developments that meet the street well, have lots of services and amenities to offer and places to live/work come in all shapes and sizes. Shorter and better designed buildings east of Yonge along the waterfront would have done wonders for the Polson Pier skyline while still improving the area.

It is what it is so it's not worth arguing anymore but in my fantasy skyline, everything east of Yonge along Queens Quay would be much different.

I can understand not being able to imagine the size, but never doesn't make sense.
The same thought could be put forth to Toronto's size and scale in another 50-60 years when the GTA is closer to the 10million people mark. (guestimate of course)

The forecast done for the government of Ontario is also a 'guess'; albeit, one hopes an educated one.......

Here's Hemson's guess on their behalf:

1611695027679.png

GTAH (Greater Toronto and Hamilton) 11.17M in 2051............in 30 years.

Greater Golden Horseshoe (includes Niagara, K-W and Barrie) 14.87M in 30 years.

FWIW, I think their overall number is close, but their number for the City of Toronto is understated.

I expect the City to be ~4.2M

Even if you assume falling growth rates beyond that.....I think 50 years out, you can assume a materially higher number.

Toronto was not envisioned to be a massive metropolis. It took off in the 70's when the banks fled Quebec and hasn't slowed down since.

The forecast done for the government of Ontario is also a 'guess'; albeit, one hopes an educated one.......

Here's Hemson's guess on their behalf:

View attachment 296479

GTAH (Greater Toronto and Hamilton) 11.17M in 2051............in 30 years.

Greater Golden Horseshoe (includes Niagara, K-W and Barrie) 14.87M in 30 years.

FWIW, I think their overall number is close, but their number for the City of Toronto is understated.

I expect the City to be ~4.2M

Even if you assume falling growth rates beyond that.....I think 50 years out, you can assume a materially higher number.
Agree on all points. Regarding the City of Toronto, it supposedly added 46,000 people in 2019. Straight extrapolations are problematic but your estimate does look better than theirs.

Toronto was not envisioned to be a massive metropolis. It took off in the 70's when the banks fled Quebec and hasn't slowed down since.
Having little/no foresight is something that existed in the past, exists now, and will exist in the future. Not acknowledging that small things grow into big things is baffling yet there will always be people like this. Unfortunately, people like that (to my constant amazement) work in 'Planning'.

The government will be bringing over four hundred thousand new immigrants instead of over three in this country. Starting in 2021 as seen on Steve Paikin Adenda show on YouTube. And half of them will be coming to the Golden Horseshoe an extra 50 to 75 thousand more than usual. I think there might be more in some regions than the stats suggest. Eg Toronto is already over three million and could be about 3.4 million by 2031. And these specific counties like Northumberland, Simcoe, Dufferin, Wellington could add more population than the stats show. As more people will want to get out of the GTA from the intensification. Yup!!

The government will be bringing over four hundred thousand new immigrants instead of over three in this country. Starting in 2021 as seen on Steve Paikin Adenda show on YouTube. And half of them will be coming to the Golden Horseshoe an extra 50 to 75 thousand more than usual. I think there might be more in some regions than the stats suggest. Eg Toronto is already over three million and could be about 3.4 million by 2031. And these specific counties like Northumberland, Simcoe, Dufferin, Wellington could add more population than the stats show. As more people will want to get out of the GTA from the intensification. Yup!!
Townsend 2.0 anyone?

Back