Toronto Concord Sky | 299m | 85s | Concord Adex | a—A

I doubt they can go any higher with regards to shadowing.
We're in the midst of a pandemic that has killed thousands, brought our economy to its knees and has caused massive government deficits that will take a generation to pay off and the geniuses who lead us are concerned about shadowing?

We're in the midst of a pandemic that has killed thousands, brought our economy to its knees and has caused massive government deficits that will take a generation to pay off and the geniuses who lead us are concerned about shadowing?

Yes they are, as they should be.

Do you like trees in your park?

Green Grass?

That requires sunlight.

Human beings also need sun in general, its a material part of how we all get vitamin D.

That means you don't want streets that are constantly in shadow (which would also preclude street trees).

The shadowing rules are there for a reason.

They long pre-date Covid.

Of course, at times, they are applied over-zealously.

But there is a reason for that too.

We live in a country where precedent has a legal meaning.

If you allow it this time.................

Yes they are, as they should be.

Do you like trees in your park?

Green Grass?

That requires sunlight.

Human beings also need sun in general, its a material part of how we all get vitamin D.

That means you don't want streets that are constantly in shadow (which would also preclude street trees).

The shadowing rules are there for a reason.

They long pre-date Covid.

Of course, at times, they are applied over-zealously.

But there is a reason for that too.

We live in a country where precedent has a legal meaning.

If you allow it this time.................
A noble sentiment. But if we can't kick start this economy, then there will be a diminution of services and the standard of living that so many of us have taken for granted. The least of our problems will be the lack of some park space and trees in a corner of downtown Toronto.

A noble sentiment. But if we can't kick start this economy, then there will be a diminution of services and the standard of living that so many of us have taken for granted. The least of our problems will be the lack of some park space and trees in a corner of downtown Toronto.

There will be no difficulty re-starting the economy post-Covid.

Total savings are up among middle-income and high-income people.

There is pent-up demand for goods and services.

This tower is allowed to go ahead at an enormous height, and permitting a few extra floors will not materially change its economics in regards to construction.

This development was not stopped due to Covid, or due to shadowing.

It was stopped due to financial challenges faced by the developer where expenses and revenues no longer balanced.

A new developer with a healthier balance sheet will come along and this development will go ahead.

It may require refunding deposits or it may not, depending on how outstanding financial obligations are handled.

We shall see.

Last edited:

I think the City can be a bit too strict and hyperfocused on shadowing in some situations, but, respectfully, I think this argument is ridiculous.

We shouldn't sacrifice our green spaces because of the pandemic (they're needed more than ever, and will be for our ever-hotter climate change future as well!) based on a vague idea that allowing buildings to be a bit taller will be the make or break difference when it comes to kickstarting our economy. There's no evidence for that, and even if there was, we shouldn't use that as justification to not care about our green spaces anymore. That would be a major mistake that would be felt for generations.

I was speaking of shadowing in a planning regard...literally and strictly in the planning ideals city staff guide development through. It'll take a little bit for a luxury tower of this size to sell well...initially. Part of me personally hopes we see a developer who can share some podium soace with Ryerson....further integrating this part of the block with the university's services and facilities.

. Part of me personally hopes we see a developer who can share some podium soace with Ryerson....further integrating this part of the block with the university's services and facilities.

Already the plan, as I recall.

Certainly the render in the database suggests that:

1611701730222.png

The supporting documents in the application also identify 'institutional use' which is consistent w/Ryerson being a tenant here.

I'm aware, but just wondered if this new developer would have to renegotiate with Ryerson, seeing as the new developers could modify the original building plans. (Speculation talk of course)

An economy should serve the needs of the populace, not the other way around. Without healthy people there is no long-term healthy economy either.

Who ln Toronto right now is in the best position financially to take this on?

Seriously? There are many. The pandemic hasn't significantly hurt the development industry. Once covid is out of the way I suspect things to go back to normal fairly quickly.

Seriously? There are many. The pandemic hasn't significantly hurt the development industry. Once covid is out of the way I suspect things to go back to normal fairly quickly.
Yes i understand but remember we are talking 1 billion dollars here, it's not like someone is going to be throwing that kind of cash on top of what they already have going on

You think the land is worth 1 billion? They aren't buying the entire tower. They are buying the land, with approvals in place.
It's probably about a billion total development cost here, so thats not the up front cash required to buy the land but it's how much money will be needed to finish it.

But yea, there are probably about a dozen companies in the GTA, if not more, that could finance this thing with ease.

Back