Toronto 36 Fieldway | 38.49m | 10s | Alterra | Richmond Architects

PMT

Member Bio
Reaction score
36 FIELDWAY RD
Ward 3: Etobicoke-Lakeshore

To permit a 10-storey residential building that contains 123 dwelling units and two below-ground parking levels. The redevelopment proposes 9,791.10 sq. m of total gross floor area (GFA), 247 sq. m of indoor amenity space and 302 sq. m of outdoor amenity space with a Floor Space Index (FSI) of 4.39 times the area of the lot.

Current site:

1608809973833.png

Looking at the Landscape Plan..............the choices aren't terrible............but but but.........

1611099117318.png

Kentucky Coffee Tree is not native to the GTA
Tulip Tree is not native to the GTA

Most of the rest are native'ish........but cultivars.

That's not terrible.

But it's a stretch to call any tree or shrub that would not occur in nature, native.

Good soil volume per tree; everything irrigated.

For UT-ers who like betting. What are the odds of this project :
- being built without going through LPAT ?
- being built as pictured ?

It's hard to believe they are proposing a 10 storey monstrosity in a low-rise residential neighbourhood with houses. The neighbouring property is stacked townhouses no taller than 4 stories. It looks like greed is the main motivation for this developer. Please consider putting something more sensible up, like the adjacent townhouses, for the sake of the neighbourhood.

It's hard to believe they are proposing a 10 storey monstrosity in a low-rise residential neighbourhood with houses. The neighbouring property is stacked townhouses no taller than 4 stories. It looks like greed is the main motivation for this developer. Please consider putting something more sensible up, like the adjacent townhouses, for the sake of the neighbourhood.
There are 2 subway stations and a GO station within a kilometre of this site. There's a 12-storey building just to the east. Tall towers a couple hundred metres away across the tracks.
One could argue that the four-storey buildings are the problem here.
Agree with @ProjectEnd

There are 2 subway stations and a GO station within a kilometre of this site. There's a 12-storey building just to the east. Tall towers a couple hundred metres away across the tracks.
One could argue that the four-storey buildings are the problem here.
Agree with @ProjectEnd
Not that im arguing against density here, but truthfully we cant really count Kipling station as being within the catchment area of this development (unless one drives over there). The walk over is nearly 1km:
1620831225355.png

Nevertheless here are my 2 thoughts on this:

1) This proposal is absolutely butt ugly and there's absolutely no redeeming factor in it as it currently stands
2) There really needs to be some kind of consideration for a pedestrian bridge linking Fieldway and Dundas. Especially as more development gets started at Etobicoke City Centre.

2) There really needs to be some kind of consideration for a pedestrian bridge linking Fieldway and Dundas. Especially as more development gets started at Etobicoke City Centre.

This is a good idea. Hopefully as we see more development along Fieldway and its environs it would be explored.

It's not hard to believe. This is within one of four Urban Growth Centres designated by the Province. This is where density can and should go. The entire spine of Islington from Bloor south to the Queensway can host stacked townhomes like the Plazacorp project that was just finished. Sensible to me is taking advantage of existing transit infrastructure through higher density and creating walkable neighbourhoods. What does "for the sake of the neighbourhood" mean?

I'm going to try and swing by on the weekend to get some aerial shots. Still, I am not sure whether housing like this right next to a rail corridor is really a good idea. I remember growing up just to the north of here and being awakened by idling locomotives if i had the window open while shunting for the CP Obico yard was happening. I was probably a good kilometre away at the time. Why not just turn it into light commercial or office?

This proposed site definitely looks far better than what is currently there, start the project already. It is an overall win to the entire area. There should not be an auto body shop across the street from houses. It looks terrible in its current state, I live in this area.

This proposed site definitely looks far better than what is currently there, start the project already. It is an overall win to the entire area. There should not be an auto body shop across the street from houses. It looks terrible in its current state, I live in this area.
Personally i'd rather the auto body shop then the current dreck that's proposed. Once this is built there's no going back.

Oh, and welcome to UT.

Back