News   Apr 24, 2024
 699     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 913     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 560     0 

Former President Donald Trump's United States of America

I certainly prefer less superfluous pomp myself.

I could frankly do without the Speech from the Throne in terms of cutting some of that here.

So long as we are in the type of system we have (and I'm going to get engaged in that discussion) I don't mind the linkage to tradition and continuity. If nothing else, it is completely internal to the workings of Parliament. It's not like we grind the city to a halt and have a parade and ball.

That's the spirit! Electoral Reform; they key to keeping 'us in power'.................

:rolleyes:

1611087245053.png

That will inspire conspiracy theorists even more - having a non-public inauguration is bad enough (but that's under the twin issues of the pandemic and possible civil disturbance); moving it entirely to a virtual format is bad optics (incoming CIC in hiding!) and will without a doubt lead to claims of illegitimacy.

AoD

Even I'd start calling it illegitimate if it were on Zoom. Zoom?! Naaaaaah
Boring government is IMHO a good thing.

AoD
John Tory fan eh?

It'll spoil Donald's day, if Biden's inauguration has higher TV ratings than his.

:eek: 😄😄:eek:
He doesn't care....he's delusional. He will just make numbers up in his head.

I have paranoid-schizophrenic friends who are less delusional than he is.....maybe because they take their meds. 😅

I certainly prefer less superfluous pomp myself.

I could frankly do without the Speech from the Throne in terms of cutting some of that here.
Reading about the star-studded gala of an inauguration like this one and other past. Geez no wonder the average person hates their government.

That's pathetic and not the electoral reform the Americans need.

And they DO need electoral reform. Their system is quite possibly even more of a joke than ours.

I realize that their system is totally different from ours but there is nothing to stop any state from creating something akin to our Elections Canada, supported by legislation and reporting to the state legislature. It wouldn't solve everything but the independence and actual rules about electoral boundaries would be a start.

But won't happen.

It wouldn't solve everything but the independence and actual rules about electoral boundaries would be a start.
Small start. The district boundaries are a farce, for sure, but the system of electing people (FPTP) is a farce as well.
They do need to start with the boundaries though because those are just unjustly egregious.

But won't happen.
Yeaaaaaah, probably not.
I see you're a pessimist vis a vis our neighbours, like me. hahaha

Small start. The district boundaries are a farce, for sure, but the system of electing people (FPTP) is a farce as well.
They do need to start with the boundaries though because those are just unjustly egregious.

[/QUOTE]
With all of the electoral problems they have, the selection criteria/math is the least of their problems
Yeaaaaaah, probably not.
I see you're a pessimist vis a vis our neighbours, like me. hahaha

To paraphrase a line from the movie Contact, 'they are capable of some amazing dreams, and some horrible nightmares. Their system has allowed the quest of power to game it and I'm not convinced their Constitution has aged well. When you are born of revolution, it's hard to break the mould.

It's interesting when you consider that the power inherent in the PMO, or that has been gathered into over the past several governments, is quite substantial, but I suppose our lack of ego that we somehow are the 'shining city on a hill destined to save the world has kept us more grounded.

I don't know - way to philosophical for this time of night.

I realize that their system is totally different from ours but there is nothing to stop any state from creating something akin to our Elections Canada, supported by legislation and reporting to the state legislature. It wouldn't solve everything but the independence and actual rules about electoral boundaries would be a start.

But won't happen.
It's time electoral districts in the United States stop being gerrymandered and have a more impartial organization in charge of electoral boundaries like the one used here in Canada.

With all of the electoral problems they have, the selection criteria/math is the least of their problems

Well, I think it's more like with all the social polarisation they have the criteria are the least of their problems insofar as that polarisation leads to electoral strife.

To paraphrase a line from the movie Contact, 'they are capable of some amazing dreams, and some horrible nightmares. Their system has allowed the quest of power to game it and I'm not convinced their Constitution has aged well. When you are born of revolution, it's hard to break the mould.
I just don't trust people who would waste perfectly good tea, but ^ this reads well also. ;)

It's interesting when you consider that the power inherent in the PMO, or that has been gathered into over the past several governments, is quite substantial, but I suppose our lack of ego that we somehow are the 'shining city on a hill destined to save the world has kept us more grounded.
The accrual of power in the PMO is its own perversion of what should be. We've always been more grounded, calm, and reasonable than our neighbours. From the get-go as nations.

I don't know - way to philosophical for this time of night.

No such thing. One man's night is another man's morning. ;)

Back