News   Apr 25, 2024
 173     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

I didn't write that it was inexpensive, but it surely would've been more expensive if it was elevated.
If bundled with Eg West extension, I doubt it would have cost more to build it elevated except through Midtown.

If bundled with Eg West extension, I doubt it would have cost more to build it elevated except through Midtown.

Possibly, but given transit construction costs I doubt it.

I think going underground in the midtown areas was a good idea.

The street alignment is probably the best solution for urban growth in the area.

How much more expensive though? There are places where elevated metro on Eglinton would save money:
- Smaller tunnel bore because no catenary.
- Deleting useless stops like Aga Khan, Pharmacy, Hakimi Lebovic, Ionview.
- No need for complete road reconstruction on Eg East.
- Moving Science Centre and Kennedy stations above ground.
- All stations can be shorter with identical capacity and frequency, due to the inefficient seating arrangements, insufficient number of doors, and large cab dead zones on LRT trains.
- Higher frequency and reliability from full automation and grade separation. Can probably further shorten stations without impacting capacity, due to higher possible frequencies. Very low headways will probably not be achievable on Eglinton as built due to the eastern section not being reliable.

And what do we get?
- Faster speeds
- Lower possible headways
- Full automation (no driver costs)
- Better reliability (no chance of cars blocking ROW)
- No chance of drivers crashing into trains (thus saving repair costs)
- No cars driving over tracks (tracks last longer)
- Less construction disruption (underground stations are shorter, thus less excavation, above ground stations built beside road like Skytrain, no road reconstruction)
I think they meant if the surface section was elevated not if it were an elevated metro so the line would be the exact same in the underground sections. Science centre station would also probably still have to be underground with the current ontario line plan to avoid a really tall and ugly stacked interchange.

I think they meant if the surface section was elevated not if it were an elevated metro so the line would be the exact same in the underground sections. Science centre station would also probably still have to be underground with the current ontario line plan to avoid a really tall and ugly stacked interchange.

Not only should Science Centre station still be underground with the "elevated" alignment, but they should have just kept the line underground all the way until Science Centre.

Deleting useless stops like Aga Khan, Pharmacy, Hakimi Lebovic, Ionview.

A few things here...

Ionview is surrounded by apartments and will likely have alot of usage getting to and from Kennedy Station. Kennedy Station is not walkable from here.

Pharmacy is a major street in this part of Scarborough. There will likely be high demand here.

Hakimi-Lebovic has alot of commercial development around it and has a large redevelopment planned. When it opens it will be highly used.

Aga Khan is the one station I do think should have been eliminated.

A few things here...

Ionview is surrounded by apartments and will likely have alot of usage getting to and from Kennedy Station. Kennedy Station is not walkable from here.

Pharmacy is a major street in this part of Scarborough. There will likely be high demand here.

Hakimi-Lebovic has alot of commercial development around it and has a large redevelopment planned. When it opens it will be highly used.

I agree with Ionview and Pharmacy, Ionview actually services the Kennedy and Eglinton Intersection far better than Kennedy station, and Pharmacy is a pretty busy thoroughfare, and the 67 can be a really busy bus at rush hour. I don't think Hakimi-Lebovic is necessary however because Golden mile and too a lesser extanent Pharmcy already serve all that retail space. Moving both golden mile platforms to the west side of warden could be a good alternative to the hakimi-lebovic stop. Aga Khan station is useless though I do love seeing my relatively small religion and place of warship getting a ttc station named after it.

I don't think Hakimi-Lebovic is necessary however because Golden mile and too a lesser extanent Pharmcy already serve all that retail space.

True but it is likely there because of Eglinton Division being at Lebovic and Comstock. Also there are two large plazas at Lebovic/Hakimi.

I can see this being more for convenience and accessibility than anything.

A few things here...

First of all I'd just like to clarify that I was talking about hypothetical light metro stop spacing, not surface LRT stop spacing. For surface LRT, Ionview and Pharmacy are sort of justifiable, but Hakimi-Lebovic, definitely not (but either way, surface LRT is the wrong technology choice for reasons mentioned previously).

Hakimi-Lebovic is 300m from Warden. Having stops 300m apart on rapid transit is ridiculous, unless both stations have really important connections to make. Seriously. King and Queen are even 400m apart. The development argument doesn't really hold - I doubt anyone would support adding two new stations between Finch and North York Centre and another extra station between Sheppard and North York Centre, which is what you would need to get 300m stop spacing.

For Ionview, the stop keeps about 600m stop spacing, which is not too terrible and probably fine for LRT, but if the line was being built properly as a light metro, it really is not worth having. Ionview is not a major route and offers no connections. It will end up having Bessarion or Chester levels of ridership.

As for Pharmacy, I agree that it is somewhat of a major road, and an LRT stop is probably justified for the bus connection, but it's just too close to Vic Park to have a stop if the line was properly built as elevated metro. Skipping it is like how SRT skips Brimley, or how Line 2 also skips Pharmacy, or how both Line 2 and 5 sort of skip Kennedy in favour of the GO line. It's not the end of the world.

IMO, rapid transit should be fast, only stopping where there are connections or major destinations. A parallel local bus can provide local service, like on Yonge. Trying to get a line to be rapid transit and local service at the same time ends up being the worst of both worlds - long trips are slow, and local trips require much more walking.

First of all I'd just like to clarify that I was talking about hypothetical light metro stop spacing, not surface LRT stop spacing. For surface LRT, Ionview and Pharmacy are sort of justifiable, but Hakimi-Lebovic, definitely not (but either way, surface LRT is the wrong technology choice for reasons mentioned previously).

Hakimi-Lebovic is 300m from Warden. Having stops 300m apart on rapid transit is ridiculous, unless both stations have really important connections to make. Seriously. King and Queen are even 400m apart. The development argument doesn't really hold - I doubt anyone would support adding two new stations between Finch and North York Centre and another extra station between Sheppard and North York Centre, which is what you would need to get 300m stop spacing.

For Ionview, the stop keeps about 600m stop spacing, which is not too terrible and probably fine for LRT, but if the line was being built properly as a light metro, it really is not worth having. Ionview is not a major route and offers no connections. It will end up having Bessarion or Chester levels of ridership.

As for Pharmacy, I agree that it is somewhat of a major road, and an LRT stop is probably justified for the bus connection, but it's just too close to Vic Park to have a stop if the line was properly built as elevated metro. Skipping it is like how SRT skips Brimley, or how Line 2 also skips Pharmacy, or how both Line 2 and 5 sort of skip Kennedy in favour of the GO line. It's not the end of the world.

IMO, rapid transit should be fast, only stopping where there are connections or major destinations. A parallel local bus can provide local service, like on Yonge. Trying to get a line to be rapid transit and local service at the same time ends up being the worst of both worlds - long trips are slow, and local trips require much more walking.
Is there a plan to run bus service along that route?

Is there a plan to run bus service along that route?
No. This is the plan:
1610920843716.png

From TTC 5-year service plan:

The lack of bus service east of Science Centre makes sense to a degree though it is a bit of a bummer for people who live between the more spaced out stops like wynford and sloane, or sloane and O'Connor. I think a branch of the 34 or one of the eglinton east busses like the 116 or 86 that runs limited service between Science Centre and Kennedy could be really beneficial to people with physical disabilities or the elderly that live or work along the route.

There is a planned bus route for most of Eglinton for local service. Could have extended it to Kennedy and dropped a few stations to improve speed.

Wait til you get stuck for 2 minutes between stations spaced 100m apart.
Where do they have stations 100 metres apart? London?
The distance from the furthest end of the Westbound platform at Golden Mile Station and the eastern platform at Hakimi - Lebovic Station is 100m
The distance between those two intersections (Warden and Hakmi/Lebovic) is about 330 metres. It's not 100 metres. In each direction the train moves 330 metres before stopping again.

Where are stations 100 metres apart?

The distance between those two intersections (Warden and Hakmi/Lebovic) is about 330 metres. It's not 100 metres. In each direction the train moves 330 metres before stopping again.

Where are stations 100 metres apart?
The end of the eastbound platform at hakimi lebovic is 100m west of the end of the westbound platform at golden mile, making the stops technically 100m apart though 330m is a better measurement as the centre of the stops are 330m apart

Back