1.2K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 626     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 908     0 

Ontario Flag needs replacing

Here's my take.

View attachment 42133

I made it hit a few points on the grid, in case it's not evident.

View attachment 42134
I'd like to offer the following as a variation, worked out by me and couple of friends of mine, on this excellent design.

• This version preserves the colours we've had for 50 years and a lot of our history is winked at, but now it looks modern, clean, fairly simple, but expressive with FNTS's design.
  • The blue at the hoist is meant to be evocative of the Great Lakes. The red evokes Canada. The gold from current flag becomes the stamen and pistols of the trillium, which typically are yellow. We kept the trillium white, of course, and maintained the field of green, which is on the current flag and is evocative of the Franco-Ontarien flag. These colours give quiet nods to the Union Jack and the Franco-Ontarien flag without actually being either, and the only explicit iconography remains FNTS's trillium, which stands for everyone in Ontario.
  • Our thinking in reversing the trillium is a simple matter of preference: in cultures that read left-to-right, elements that face left are evocative of the past, retreat, or warning. Elements that face right tend to imply the future, progress, and hope. It also means the icon is unlikely to suffer even if the flag becomes battered and frayed.
New Ontario flag 1200.png

I'd like to offer the following as a variation, worked out by me and couple of friends of mine, on this excellent design.

• This version preserves the colours we've had for 50 years and a lot of our history is winked at, but now it looks modern, clean, fairly simple, but expressive with FNTS's design.
  • The blue at the hoist is meant to be evocative of the Great Lakes. The red evokes Canada. The gold from current flag becomes the stamen and pistols of the trillium, which typically are yellow. We kept the trillium white, of course, and maintained the field of green, which is on the current flag and is evocative of the Franco-Ontarien flag. These colours give quiet nods to the Union Jack and the Franco-Ontarien flag without actually being either, and the only explicit iconography remains FNTS's trillium, which stands for everyone in Ontario.
  • Our thinking in reversing the trillium is a simple matter of preference: in cultures that read left-to-right, elements that face left are evocative of the past, retreat, or warning. Elements that face right tend to imply the future, progress, and hope. It also means the icon is unlikely to suffer even if the flag becomes battered and frayed.
View attachment 294072

That's actually a very decent flag - one of the better proposals for Ontario that I've seen. Do you happen to have a version where all three points of the trillium are visible? I'm curious how that would look - it looks a bit odd with two of the ends cut off.

That's actually a very decent flag - one of the better proposals for Ontario that I've seen. Do you happen to have a version where all three points of the trillium are visible? I'm curious how that would look - it looks a bit odd with two of the ends cut off.
You need to go back in the thread and ask FNTS, it's actually his design. I could reverse-engineer it in Illustrator, but he's likely got the original design of it. Mind you, I understand why it's cut off the way it is. He has it set such that the point falls exactly on the 3/4 mark on the flag's 'equator', which I think is a really sharp idea.

You need to go back in the thread and ask FNTS, it's actually his design. I could reverse-engineer it in Illustrator, but he's likely got the original design of it. Mind you, I understand why it's cut off the way it is. He has it set such that the point falls exactly on the 3/4 mark on the flag's 'equator', which I think is a really sharp idea.

Ah yes, I found his original design. I like your take on it - shifting the trillium towards the hoist and adding those colours really makes it pop.

@FNTS , do you have a design with the whole trillium visible?

I took a few minutes and gave it a shot. There might be other ways of arranging things, but I have to say, I don't like either flag that shows the whole trillium anywhere near as much as FNTS's original layout. I think he's right about the size. I tried one with the right-pointing tip at the 50% point, and another at the 75% point he placed it originally, but I don't think either one is as bold, exciting, or eye-catching as his original sizing for the trillium. Personally, I think he called the shot there. But, see for yourselves...

New Ontario flag smaller trillium 1-01.png

New Ontario flag smaller trillium 2-01.png

Honestly, not a fan of the blue and green (a bit garish). I'd make it red. I do see Ontario's flag eventually being update to something along these lines, with a trillium.

Really the rest of the video is absurd. Someone who doesn't know anything about Canada (beyond the wikipedia page) commenting on an alternate history of the country breaking up. I laughed out loud when he suggested Newfoundland and Quebec would form a union.

Back