News   Apr 18, 2024
 671     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 5.9K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.4K     4 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

Ford's presser today suggests more restrictions coming next week.

View attachment 293064

Am I the only one noting the term 'average person'.............sounds like a get of jail free card for those holidays at the cottage he enjoyed......that the media have yet to say much about......

View attachment 293065

Ford also teased modelling coming out next week.............. let me save you all the wait......

View attachment 293066

To hell with the bleeding hearts I say we have a true UK style lockdown. Those who start complaining that their rights are being violated by being forced to lockdown can go f**k a goat for all I care.

The time to act is now and this BS lockdown is obviously not working.

Last edited:
To hell with the bleeding heart I saw we have a true UK style lockdown. Those who start complaining that their rights are being violated by being forced to lockdown can go f**k a goat for all I care.

The time to act is now and this BS lockdown is obviously not working.
A curfew only works if the rules are VERY clear and seen to be 'fair. In UK it is illegal to go for a walk 'after hours' BUT you can take dog for a walk 24/7. There are (probably fake) ads in UK now for the rental of 'walking dogs'.

I wonder what the plan is should there be a disruption in the supply chain. It's nice to say that you vaccinated thousands of people but when you need to ensure they have 2 doses in a certain amount of time, things need to planned out.

I hope it does not come to the point where people cannot get their second dose because we gave too many their first.
Probably not a huge issue - considering the size of the initial shipment and the expected amount to be received later.
A curfew only works if the rules are VERY clear and seen to be 'fair. In UK it is illegal to go for a walk 'after hours' BUT you can take dog for a walk 24/7. There are (probably fake) ads in UK now for the rental of 'walking dogs'.
Given it's Ontario we're talking about, we will flunk it by the way of inconsistent messaging, insincere enforcement and waterdown for palatability by the base. If you want to see how it is done - don't look at UK and their abysmal response - look at Melbourne-Victoria.

AoD

Friends of mine who drive to work. got travel lock down papers from their employer this week, just in case a curfew does happen.

Friends of mine who drive to work. got travel lock down papers from their employer this week, just in case a curfew does happen.

I was given essential travel lock down papers from my company back in March should there ever be a real lockdown implemented. I've carried it every day since then.

I spied that little exchange in the other thread way back whenever.

As a somewhat local I can tell you that the people there aren't too keen on it themselves. But they grumble about everything and are probably just apathetic about it whilst making a point of saying how much they dislike it.

I also prefer it myself. Lines up with the Slovaks.

Well of course they grumble about it - Eastern Europeans are notoriously grumpy!

Czechia is simply logical and in line with all the other European countries.

From Star:

11:23 a.m.: Premier Doug Ford says Ontario’s current lockdown may need to be extended if soaring COVID-19 case rates don’t come down.

He says the province could see more “extreme” measures put in place if residents ignore public heath rules aimed at curbing the spread of the virus.

The premier did not say Friday what additional measures the province is considering or when they could be introduced.

But he says new COVID-19 projections that will be released next week are very concerning.

If Ford has projections why not release them NOW?

Based on my Germany proxy I estimated with confidence on December 31 that we would get to 4000 cases a day in Ontario with 1000-1300 of these in Toronto. Today's numbers are an anomaly but it's reasonable to believe that we will get there next week. That would make us on a two-week-ish lag with respect to Germany. The holidays are the big x-factor in this near-clock-work progression of the pandemic. It's really not clear how this impacted our numbers; however, the Christmas/boxing day surge (if not the New Year Surge) is definitely already here.

It appears though that Germany has past a peak at the moment. Since the beginning of the pandemic there's one phenomenon I never understood: Why are Western European case surges so fast and high but short? Ours tend to be slow build-ups with lower peaks but they drag on-and-on. Theory: Maybe we have larger household sizes and they socialize outside their household more? Household size could theoretically drag-out infections because of the delayed cascade of infection while we may mingle less socially with other members of the community.

You don't need projections and estimations at this point - it's delaying policy tactic masquerading as science. What is needed is replication of actions of which efficacy has been proven - and that is hard, fast and sustained lockdown and movement control being the path. All else is insincere distraction that had lead us to where we are now. How many times have we been told "it has plateaued", only found out that it hasn't? How many times have restrictions been delayed, watered down against advice? How many times were we told we have an "iron ring" protecting our LTCs - an iron ring so effective that it wiped out 70+ lives in a single home? Why are we still putting faith into the very actors that have demonstrated their utter uselessness and bad faith in dealing with the situation? These individuals have no currency, and should be removed from power at the first opportunity - they have blood on their hands for their part in the bad faith policy failures.

And I don't give a flying **** about Germany and whether they are an epidemiological analogue - they aren't what worked. This is an emergency response to save as many lives as possible, not a ****ing sociological project.

AoD

Last edited:
I expect Ontario will get to 6,000+ new cases a day before there is any discernable drop in numbers. I have nothing to support this other than my belief that a lot of the new cases are a result of holiday gatherings. Now that the holidays are over people would be less keen to go out shopping or visiting family and friends. Maybe a deep, long cold spell will keep people in their homes.

That being said, I think more restrictions are still needed and an attempt to actually deal with the outbreaks happening in LTC homes and places of employment that have large number of workers. Enough of the "could see" this or that, just make it happen.

I expect Ontario will get to 6,000+ new cases a day before there is any discernable drop in numbers. I have nothing to support this other than my belief that a lot of the new cases are a result of holiday gatherings. Now that the holidays are over people would be less keen to go out shopping or visiting family and friends. Maybe a deep, long cold spell will keep people in their homes.

That being said, I think more restrictions are still needed and an attempt to actually deal with the outbreaks happening in LTC homes and places of employment that have large number of workers. Enough of the "could see" this or that, just make it happen.

Unfortunately further rise in cases is already baked in - the transmission had already occurred; what you want to do is short circuit future transmissions so that it doesn't worsen beyond what is already inevitable.

Your latter point is what gets my blood absolutely boiling - we have seen enough - you don't need exact science anymore - the more time spent on delaying, finessing and fine-tuning (if I am being charitable, and not succumb to the more cynical interpretations of possible motivations) the further along the ball had already rolled away. It is like no one has learned anything from March/April. Lives were lost - and continued to be lost - in vain. There needs to be an accounting of this.

AoD

Last edited:
More nominees for hypocrite of the year:

1610132388142.png

Yup. Not at all surprised by these numbers. The food processing plants and the logistics warehouses have been unsafe hell holes long before Covid hit. Sadly a lot of these workers are temp workers who are too afraid to call in sick.

A friend of mine works at a warehouse in Brampton. He posted a picture of the break room on FB. What a joke! 30 workers sitting close together with no masks in a small break room. Management, (who are all mostly working from home) won't let workers eat lunch in their vehicles or any other place in the building.

Back