Toronto Bathurst Quay Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | Kearns Mancini

silos.jpg

From Joe Cressy's January update:

I’m thrilled to share that the Bathurst Quay Neighbourhood Plan (BQNP) implementation is proceeding on schedule, and that the Western Channel Promenade, a new public space on the water’s edge, is now open to the public.

Stay tuned for details of an official opening celebration, which will take place once public health guidelines permit such events.

For an overview of the Bathurst Quay Neighbourhood Plan, click here.

From Joe Cressy's January update:

I’m thrilled to share that the Bathurst Quay Neighbourhood Plan (BQNP) implementation is proceeding on schedule, and that the Western Channel Promenade, a new public space on the water’s edge, is now open to the public.

Stay tuned for details of an official opening celebration, which will take place once public health guidelines permit such events.

For an overview of the Bathurst Quay Neighbourhood Plan, click here.
I wonder if the prime campsites are still there on the eastern edge wall?

From Joe Cressy's latest Newsletter:

We’ve reached another important milestone for the Bathurst Quay waterfront plaza: the detailed design contract has been awarded to PFS Studios, a leading Canadian landscape architecture practice. This multi-purpose public space will connect other Bathurst Quay Neighbourhood Plan improvement projects, including the recently completed waterfront promenade, an upcoming Ireland Park Foundation culture hub, and the Canada Malting Silo revitalization.

The design work is underway, and construction is expected to begin in 2022. Courtesy of Waterfront for All, you can view an update on the Bathurst Quay Neighbourhood Plan here.

From Joe Cressy's latest Newsletter:

We’ve reached another important milestone for the Bathurst Quay waterfront plaza: the detailed design contract has been awarded to PFS Studios, a leading Canadian landscape architecture practice. This multi-purpose public space will connect other Bathurst Quay Neighbourhood Plan improvement projects, including the recently completed waterfront promenade, an upcoming Ireland Park Foundation culture hub, and the Canada Malting Silo revitalization.

The design work is underway, and construction is expected to begin in 2022. Courtesy of Waterfront for All, you can view an update on the Bathurst Quay Neighbourhood Plan here.

That's great news -- PFS has done some great work both across the country and in TO, including the wonderful Grange Park revite.

That is awesome news.

It’s funny to think of an alternate history where the Metronome was built. I feel like it would have been a flop like the Olympic Spirit.

Greetings all! My name is Bryan Bowen and I am the City's lead for the Bathurst Quay revitalization project. Hope you don't mind but I've been reading your feedback and reactions here, and thought I would introduce myself. If you have any questions about these various projects please let me know and I'd be happy to respond, either on this forum or through my work email: bryan.bowen@toronto.ca Cheers and thanks for your interest and insightful posts!

By Alex Bozikovic
March 17, 2021

In 1847, more than 38,000 Irish refugees arrived in Toronto, remaking the town and establishing a connection between the city and Ireland that remains strong. By next year, three public projects will celebrate that relationship, and Toronto’s humanitarian response to that first wave of migrants.

First, a stretch of Toronto’s waterfront at Ireland Park is open again to the public. A new public promenade has opened at the park, which opened in 2007 with a memorial to victims of the Irish Famine. Next door, a former port building is becoming a new home for the Canada Ireland Foundation. Dubbed the Corleck Building, this structure will reopen in the summer of 2022 as a cultural centre. And a few minutes away, a new public park will honour a Torontonian who gave his life while helping Irish migrants. Dr. George Robert Grasett of Toronto’s Emigrant Hospital oversaw the treatment of famine victims in the summer of 1847. Many of the Irish were sick with typhus, a disease that was contagious and almost always fatal. But Dr. Grasett helped care for those suffering, but within weeks he himself had died. This sacrifice, and the sacrifices made by other doctors, nurses and orderlies, will be memorialized by a new park on Adelaide Street. Grasett Park will open in July.

XEGU5X5JI5C3RKQVJXFRQEAS44.png
LT4YCOZJTNAOFP7UB5NXFA5B5A.png

I can’t wait to see what the Malting Silos are eventually turned into. They have so much potential to be an iconic space on the waterfront. An event space or art gallery or even an indoor rock climbing space. Even a brewery or something would be awesome. We need a hub for people in this area to draw them in.

I can’t wait to see what the Malting Silos are eventually turned into. They have so much potential to be an iconic space on the waterfront. An event space or art gallery or even an indoor rock climbing space. Even a brewery or something would be awesome. We need a hub for people in this area to draw them in.

All of the above!

FYI: we’re currently tracking a June 2021 release of the conceptual design for the waterfront plaza space (by PFS Studio) that will link up each of the new promenade, Ireland Park, the Canada Ireland Foundation centre, and the rehabilitated malting silos. I’ll be sure to share details here for that virtual public meeting.

FYI: we’re currently tracking a June 2021 release of the conceptual design for the waterfront plaza space (by PFS Studio) that will link up each of the new promenade, Ireland Park, the Canada Ireland Foundation centre, and the rehabilitated malting silos. I’ll be sure to share details here for that virtual public meeting.
Thanks for doing this! It's nice to see a member of City of Toronto staff engaging with interested community members in this way.

Back