Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

One of my pics has been featured in a new rendering of The One:
Mizrahi_The_One_Portfolio01-min (1).jpg

37312900910_504bc78515_h.jpg

Sorry if this has already been answered, but what is the purpose of the blank areas every ~20 floors of the building, and why are they necessary here but not other residential buildings (even ones of similar size, like Pinnacle One Yonge)?

Thanks in advance,

Mechanical floors. Also, the cutouts help reduce swaying due to wind load:
The Toronto skyscraper designed by famed British architect Norman Foster has gone through major contour, building material and internal engineering alterations in light of the RWDI recommendations.

“We had to do quite a bit of aerodynamic shaping of the tower,” says Morava.

He points, for example, to a series of recessed rings interspaced up the model tower’s rise, which were added to Foster’s original design to diffuse wind loads.

I believe One Yonge also has mechanical floors throughout the building, but the architectural expression there is a bit different.

I'll bet by February most of the first floor will be finished!!!
...or as we can see demonstrated above us, that there's quite a bit of complex work to get to the first floor. So yes, Rome won't be built in a day here.

Also notes: Mr. Benito uses blue Christmas lights. 😲

If they added floors just to make the building higher in order to charge more, they would have filled those extra floors with units they could charge $2 million a pop for.
On paper they must have these dampers for engineering reasons but, arguably, their design and allocated space within a given building is heavily examined and thus often exaggerated relative to profit. Here are just a couple articles after a quick google search: "New York to Developers: Stop Using Empty Space to Make Your Buildings Taller", Bloomberg; "How Luxury Developers Use the ‘Void’ to Build Sky High", New York Times.

On paper they must have these dampers for engineering reasons but, arguably, their design and allocated space within a given building is heavily examined and thus often exaggerated relative to profit. Here are just a couple articles after a quick google search: "New York to Developers: Stop Using Empty Space to Make Your Buildings Taller", Bloomberg; "How Luxury Developers Use the ‘Void’ to Build Sky High", New York Times.
I apologize, and stand corrected. Unbelievable!

Back