Toronto 2180 Yonge | 247m | 65s | Oxford Properties | Hariri Pontarini

Is that based on anything? Height seems somewhat arbitrary to me. The real question is around density.

While density isn't unimportant, I'm not particularly concerned this will be redeveloped into Single Family Homes.

I tend to think the priority for any redevelopment here is to drastically improve the relationship to Yonge Street, which currently either lacks retail, or has it situated and setup poorly in terms of relating to Yonge.

Likewise, the same concern for how the development will relate to Eglinton.

Thereafter, its about enhancing the subway station which was already crowded pre-pandemic, and could use some expanded space in its mezzanine and its street connections..

Then about the broader public realm, then excellence in architectural design.

From there, the importance of environmentally sustainable design looms large (green roof, stormwater management, bird-friendly glass etc.)

After all of that, if we can maintain or enhance the office footprint; and add some residential, including affordable housing, along with a new park somewhere on site...........

While density isn't unimportant, I'm not particularly concerned this will be redeveloped into Single Family Homes.

Oh absolutely. I was only making the distinction that density is actually much more important than height from both the city and developers perspective. I expect to see a proper masterplan here with significant retail, office, and multi res.

Oxford are pretty poker-faced right now before the first virtual consultation coming up later this month, but here's a summary from their website:

What has happened since 2017?

Following the 2017 community engagement process, Oxford initiated a detailed assessment of the existing site conditions, with a particular focus on current and planned transit facilities (e.g. TTC subway, TTC bus and ECLRT). The transit facilities at Canada Square present unique, site-specific challenges for redevelopment and close coordination with the transit agencies (TTC and Metrolinx) will be required throughout the redevelopment process.

While many aspects of Oxford’s site assessment remain ongoing, it has been determined that the redevelopment will need to be phased to accommodate the active transit operations on the site. Further, the first phase of the redevelopment will occur at the north side of the site which will not be available until the ECLRT project is complete (currently anticipated in 2022).

Based on the anticipated completion date of the ECLRT project, and informed by the 2017 community engagement process, in the fall of 2019 Oxford initiated a process to engage a best-in-class design team for the Canada Square redevelopment. The design team was selected in early 2020 and master planning work was initiated.

In mid-2020, the project team began to reconnect with local community groups, picking up where the 2017 engagement process left off. As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, it is anticipated that planned community engagement meetings and events through the summer and fall of 2020 will be held virtually to ensure the health and safety of all participants. In addition, the project team has launched this website to allow broad community participation in the engagement process.

For more information about the events in 2017, please visit the Events page.

Different massing model perspectives of the Yonge & Eg area, without disclosing their density plans yet:

growth1.jpg
growth2.jpg
growth3.jpg

I know it's not a finished plan, but I don't like how small the towers look and midtown Toronto is new up and coming Urban Neighborhood. It would be a shame if they don't take advantage of the amazing location with a signature tall building line one Yonge.

I know it's not a finished plan, but I don't like how small the towers look and midtown Toronto is new up and coming Urban Neighborhood. It would be a shame if they don't take advantage of the amazing location with a signature tall building line one Yonge.

Those are just the towers on the current site, no?

Given the involvement of Pelli Clarke Pelli, I wonder if we will see some sort of signature office build here. The office market at Yonge and Eglinton is very tight right now from my understanding.

Interesting. I thought the suburban office markets were relatively weak compared to downtown? Would love to know more about this if you're able to provide more detail.

Given the involvement of Pelli Clarke Pelli, I wonder if we will see some sort of signature office build here. The office market at Yonge and Eglinton is very tight right now from my understanding.
One thing is office space generally, another thing is Triple A office space.

I'm very curious what Oxford will do here, because higher-end office space at Midtown locations have traditionally underperformed compared to Downtown and we haven't seen much new build of any office in the area, just the required office replacement.

Maybe Oxford is making a strong big city bet on the future of Yonge & Eglinton with the coming confluence of the Yonge and Crosstown subway lines. The question on my mind is "but will it lease up?".

At least there are some strong potential tenants. Canadian Tire head office will assuredly return given that CTREIT is Oxford's partner on this site. TVO and YMCA head offices may want to return, and I think it would be a smart location for the TTC head office to relocate to from their Davisville site, though the latter three might not want to pay the premium of being in the signature tower.

I'm not sure TVO and YMCA would want to lease AAA space.

Pulling in some city leases, like TTC would be smart. The city is currently undertaking its office space consolidation plan.

Crosstown will make the area much more desirable. I'd be interested to see who they manage to find as tenant here.

I struggle to believe there won't be a significant office portion without Pelli - they just don't do residential. Oxford has significant office replacement needs here if they demolish Canada Square in the first place, plus they may choose to add a bit of space.

It would be really neat to see a 200m office tower at Yonge and Eglinton.

What do I know though.

Interesting. I thought the suburban office markets were relatively weak compared to downtown? Would love to know more about this if you're able to provide more detail.
just looking at CBRE market reports. Yonge Eglinton is a tight market but relatively low rent due to its old office stock. I'm not sure how much demand there is for AAA new build space.

The big vacancies are in the outer 416 areas and older 905 stock like suburban Scarborough and Markham / Mississauga from my understanding.

I'm not sure TVO and YMCA would want to lease AAA space.

Pulling in some city leases, like TTC would be smart. The city is currently undertaking it's office space consolidation plan.

Crosstown will make the area much more desirable. I'd be interested to see who they manage to find as tenant here.

I struggle to believe there won't be a significant office portion without Pelli - they just don't do residential. Oxford has significant office replacement needs here if they demolish Canada Square in the first place, plus they may choose to add a bit of space.

It would be really neat to see a 200m office tower at Yonge and Eglinton.

What do I know though.
We'll you'll like this then...

At least there are some strong potential tenants. Canadian Tire head office will assuredly return given that CTREIT is Oxford's partner on this site. TVO and YMCA head offices may want to return, and I think it would be a smart location for the TTC head office to relocate to from their Davisville site, though the latter three might not want to pay the premium of being in the signature tower.

I expect Canadian Tire to move to a "hybrid" model with most staff working more days from home. Workspaces will be shared. This will significantly decrease the square footage required. That being said, some space being leased at Y-E Centre no longer be needed and incorporated somehow to Canada Square.

Back