Oakville The Randall | ?m | 12s | Rosseau | Brook McIlroy

innsertnamehere

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
In front of Planning Committee today. 12 storey building in downtown Oakville. This is absolutely towering for downtown Oakville - I wonder how this will end up shaking out from an approvals perspective. Normally the Town hates anything over 4 floors in the downtown, though they did just approve an 8 storey building on the other side of downtown a few weeks ago. I imagine they are asking for 12 storeys here as there is an existing 12 storey apartment building across the street.

150 randall.png

The execution could end up being very good, especially enjoy the ground level and the brick at podium level.

And of course it is great to see this kind of density and height proposed in downtown Oakville. I don't think it will be out-of-place though doubtless many locals will be up in arms about it.

What a hideous pile of garbage. Especially when compared to Randall Residences.

Added!

Included is this rendering from January 2022 Council, where ZBA passed:
View attachment 491241

Development Engineering Permit has been issued as of April 19, 2023.
I wandered around the site today again. You‘ll remember that the old, retired fire station kitty corner to this site is up for redevelopment, and a portion of the former civic pool that is part of the library/performing arts center is also in conversation, and that there is an existing 12 story apt block across the street. These sites all overlook Sixteen Mile and the river valley, are a block or more from the older, more historic areas along Lakeshore. As a developer I would be pushing for 12 or 16 stories to get the views and take advantage of the sites. And I do not think those heights would infringe on the older areas. I am sure the building above, when you look at the orientation, is set up to take advantage. if it comes to a vote, I would be more in favour then the mess that is rapidly becoming midtown.

Back