Mississauga Exchange District Condos | 232m | 72s | Camrost-Felcorp | Arcadis

DJI_0649.JPG
DJI_0653.JPG

This area is changing so quickly. I suppose at some point, 15-20 years from now, MCC will start encroaching on some of these adjacent SFH neighbourhoods.

Once all of the parking lots, plazas, and empty fields in MCC/Uptown are redeveloped into towers, it will be interesting to see what starts to happen. I don't think there is really a set precedent in Canada yet for the redevelopment of large neighbourhoods of $1m+ detached homes. I would imagine that due to strong NIMBY forces and rising detached home prices, it will be very difficult to redevelop these lands around MCC. Underused tower-in-the-park lands, industrial lands, and neighbourhoods with cheaper townhouses will likely be redeveloped first. Here are some areas I think they will focus on in the future once MCC/Uptown fills up, and redevelopment is required:
  1. Mississauga Valley Neighbourhood. Predominantly to undo the damage created by tower-in-the-park, similar to the St. James Town/Regent Park redevelopments in Toronto.
  2. Mavis Industrial Lands. This would start the elimination of the industrial lands in MCC and extend the downtown westward. It would probably also keep going down Burnhamthorpe over time.
  3. 403 Transmission Corridor. I would have not initially thought this to be an option, but since the SQ1 district will build all the way up to the 403, there might be interest in burying this section of lines and redeveloping the land to generate income.
  4. Huron Heights Neighbourhood. This would be easier to redevelop into towers since much of the stock of homes in the area are attached townhomes. The fields around the plaza will fill up long before this gets redeveloped.
  5. Fairview Neighbourhood. Most of the area is detached homes, but a large amount of the area, east of Palgrave, is much lower density, and would consequently be easier to buy up.
  6. Rathburn-Mavis Neighbourhood. This would be a harder redevelopment since all homes in the area are detached, but it would extend MCC density to Mavis, which could be beneficial once density reaches that point.
MCC Future Development.jpg

I actually think the Mavis Industrial Lands are developed first. I think I already saw some land sales in the past in that area that indicate that's the direction things are going.

I also think that the Fairview neighbourhood will see some activity sooner than later. I doubt that the "plan" as it were would be to leave Webb Dr and Kariya Dr unfinished, or for Fairview Public School and that Adult Education Centre to remain as underdeveloped parcels.

Nice use of your renderings in the above photo! 👍

I dont believe this was discussed however the renderings depict a grocery store at the base of the complex. They depict the newly renovated Loblaws look with the black subway tiles and distinct department fonts seen in stores such as the Bathurst/Lake Shore store or MLG store.

Interesting to see if Loblaw will indeed occupy this space.

Back