News   Apr 19, 2024
 376     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 569     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 950     3 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

The SRT is dying.......but maybe sooner than Toronto is ready for:

To ensure reliable transit service is maintained until the Line 2 extension enters service, various options are being assessed, including initiating an overhaul program to further extend the life of SRT vehicles or replacing the SRT service with bus replacement service using new buses to meet the transit service need along the SRT corridor until the extension is completed.

As someone who takes the SRT weekly it is not as bad from a customer perspective as they make it sound.

The ride is comfortable, the service is regular and the vehicles (on the surface) don't seem to be in that bad of shape. It's not as if the stations are crumbling, the track bed is failing and there are gaping holes in the side of cars.

When the CLRVs were about to be decommissioned they had rusted holes in the side of them and duct tape holding them together. The SRT is nowhere near that point.

As someone who takes the SRT weekly it is not as bad from a customer perspective as they make it sound.

The ride is comfortable, the service is regular and the vehicles (on the surface) don't seem to be in that bad of shape. It's not as if the stations are crumbling, the track bed is failing and there are gaping holes in the side of cars.

That's because they just finished a program for the SRT cars whereby they rebuilt all of their major systems. They should look and ride well.

The problem is that they are now so far past their prime and the service is so intensively used that they aren't going to stay like that for long, and so the TTC ALREADY has to start planning for their next refurbishment. This past one - started about 3 or so years ago - should last 6 or 7 years, which is still going to leave the TTC far short of when the B-D extension will start operating.

If there is a bright side, the next refurbishment - at least in theory - should not be so involved, as this one included some major (and much-needed) structural and mechanical work.

Dan

We could have a whole separate thread with screenshots of the worst bunching/headways.

One time there was a problem on the Yonge line so I sent to Shebourne to hop on a SB bus. Well according to the app (which was correct) they were all at the very south heading north. I walked to Richmond faster, observing the northbound bus congo line in the process.

Another problem is that the ETAs for the first stop or early stops in the route and totally messed up if a bus' GPS device isn't activated. I remember being in the station one time:

Next bus: 3 mins
Next bus: 2 mins
Next bus: Due
Next bus: 30 mins (WTF)

and then it showed up.

Hey this might be off topic (mods, please remove if so) but I remember seeing some graphics on this forum (or maybe somewhere else) where it was a bunch of the different transit vehicles of the TTC in a repeating diagonal image. Does anyone know what I'm referring to? and better yet, do you know where I might find them?!
THANKS!

Sorta like the images graphics below but in a repeating diagonal form

/ / / / / /
/ / / / / /
/ / / / / /

1603061316653.png

1603061332021.png

1603061354726.png
1603061361504.png

Source: https://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Operating_Statistics/2013.jsp

1603061008903.png

source: https://www.railforthevalley.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Canada-Rail-213-640x360.jpg

We could have a whole separate thread with screenshots of the worst bunching/headways.

One time there was a problem on the Yonge line so I sent to Shebourne to hop on a SB bus. Well according to the app (which was correct) they were all at the very south heading north. I walked to Richmond faster, observing the northbound bus congo line in the process.

Another problem is that the ETAs for the first stop or early stops in the route and totally messed up if a bus' GPS device isn't activated. I remember being in the station one time:

Next bus: 3 mins
Next bus: 2 mins
Next bus: Due
Next bus: 30 mins (WTF)

and then it showed up.

How's this for bunching?

I rode the Spadina LRT today.

For the first time in my memory we actually bypassed, without stopping 3 different stops, including Nassau, Willcocks and Harbord.

At any rate..........we arrive at the tunnel portal, to the station.

We don't even make it round the turn before we have to stop.

Seemed odd.....so I glanced at my watch.........

1'15 later, we moved 1 vehicle length forward.

2'45 later, we moved another vehicle length forward.

1'45 after that, we finally entered the station.

A 5'45 second wait, due to at least 3 vehicles in front of us, jammed up.

But there was next to no one exiting or boarding.

The wait in the tunnel was longer than the King to Sussex part of the trip.

This story doesnt surprise me in the least. It's time the TTC implements a double step-back crew system to streetcar operations, at least during the peak periods, because it's clear they cant get their collective heads out of their behinds when it comes down to scheduling.

I've seen this take place frequently in even worse corridors where streetcar traffic is mixed (ie: outside of Dundas West, Bathurst, and Broadview stations)

We should be glad at what kind of service we get today outside of COVID-19 as a very large number of US and Europe system would love to see it.

Have been to far too many cities of all size and rode the systems to shake my head how these people can deal with poor service and coverage. I have been on too many Canadian systems to do comparison between what we have in the GTA vs others to say we are very lucky to have the quality of service these years, let alone this year.

Our cost recovery is way higher than the US and fare's are very close. They get buses every 12 years while we are 15+ because of better funding for them. Some US systems have older buses as well.

We use buses for 30,000 riders while a number of systems have built LRT for 10,000 or less. The LRT run every 15 minutes.

Too bad we have Canadian politicians influenced by the Americans...

I find the comments from Torontonians funny in this video.

Only if the video showed Buffalo or Atlanta (which essentially has a cross-shaped subway system) will Torontonians begin to appreciate the TTC.

Only if the video showed Buffalo or Atlanta (which essentially has a cross-shaped subway system) will Torontonians begin to appreciate the TTC.

Ikr! Although tbh before I became interested in transit and transit projects, I thought the TTC sucked. If someone has only been using the TTC for their entire lives, they're bound to complain and glorify other cities that are doing way better. There's probably some Londoners complaining about how TfL sucks and simping for Tokyo's system, while we envy London's system, and then someone in Chicago envies Toronto's system. I guess it's all relative, but Toronto is easily the #2 city in North America when it comes to transit.

Heck, even some of our suburb cities (Mississauga, Brampton, Markham+RH) have a larger quantity of frequent service corridors and transit ridership than mid-size metro areas in the US with over a million people! It seems funny that I wait 10-15 minutes to catch a frequent bus near where I live in sad lonely Whitby while people in Portland/Dallas/Denver are waiting up to 30 minutes for an LRT/subway (Oh wait, that sounds a lot like some Viva lines lol)

The art of truth is the absence of absolutes.

Most transit systems, as with most things in life are neither perfect, nor terrible, not provably the best or the worst.

That said, if one is measuring service frequency, or service integration the TTC is no worse than the #2 system in the U.S. and Canada. A comparison to NYC is more complex, with vastly more stations and some 24-hour subway service, but greater service reliability issues, lower subway frequency, and less service integration. We might all envy the extent of their subway system, but not necessarily their commute experience.

For all of that, as noted in the post above, no one, anywhere, in any fashion should compare themselves w/their laggards, or even their peers.

You don't get better at anything by saying 'but I'm better than so and so...........or as good as the average'.

Its quite right, and quite normal, to compare one's self, one's transit system, school, long-term care home, public park, or business to someone, some place, that does it better.

Better 'overall' is to a great degree a subjective call. It has to be weighed with things like customer-facing price, government-facing price (if applicable); and the relative priority in which you hold a particular service.

However, where one can measure individual characteristics such as travel time per km, wait time for a vehicle, accessibility, reliability, or the offer of certain amenities (washrooms, air conditioning etc.), a list can be created which gives one a sense
of the relative offer of one place to another.

In that context, it makes sense for many U.S. systems to be compared with Toronto; while Toronto should look to Hong Kong, to Singapore, to Paris or Stockholm or Moscow asking about which areas we come up short in; and which upgrades to prioritize.

Last edited:
We would like to invite you/your organization to participate in the second and final round of meetings with city-wide stakeholders to discuss the TTC’s 2021 Annual Service Plan.

Since we last connected with stakeholders about the 2021 Annual Service Plan in September, we launched our public consultation, sharing information and asking for feedback about the emerging priorities we’d identified as well as proposed service initiatives for 2021. We have now refined the 2021 Annual Service Plan and are looking to share and hear stakeholders’ feedback on our final draft plan before it is presented to the TTC Board in December.

This second round of stakeholder meetings will be held virtually via Webex on November 10, 2020. We are holding two identical sessions so you can choose a time that works best for you

Session 1: Tuesday, November 10, 3:00 – 4:30 pm

Session 2: Tuesday, November 10, 6:30 – 8:00 pm

Click the link to register for the meeting:

ttcannualplan-stakeholdermeeting2.eventbrite.com

Instructions on how to join the meeting either online or by phone will be sent after registering. We will also post the links to the meetings on Eventbrite the day of the meetings.

If you know of any organized groups that might be interested in participating in the meeting, please share this invitation, and/or encourage them to get in touch with:

Back