News   Apr 18, 2024
 350     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.4K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2K     4 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

Do you think the city is still adding bike lanes this year?

I feel like Mt Pleasant has been forgotten somewhat. The new ward maps kinda makes Mt Pleasant the boundary between three wards now. It could really benefit from having bike lanes, especially between Davisville Ave and St. Clair Ave East.

While I would have hoped so, that seems increasingly unlikely. Approval by Council would likely be required, w/the next Council mtg at the end of this month, that leaves precious little time before the 1st snowfall.

But I reserve the right to be pleasantly surprised.

I feel like Mt Pleasant has been forgotten somewhat. The new ward maps kinda makes Mt Pleasant the boundary between three wards now. It could really benefit from having bike lanes, especially between Davisville Ave and St. Clair Ave East.

Mt. Pleasant was on any lists I'm aware of from staff or approved by Councillor's as requests for staff to consider this year.

It also would likely be seen to require revisiting Jarvis. While I would support that, I find it unlikely it will be on next year's list either.

Yonge
Avenue Road
Bloor/Danforth extensions
Donlands
Weston Road
Jane Street and Eglinton seem to top the list for next year; but that's not to say their couldn't be more. (or less)

A Temporary lane on Gerrard from River to Parliament should be added, to link up to bike lane before River and after Parliament. Why this city installs orphan, unconnected bike lanes baffles me. You’d never do that with roads or railways, one links to another, never orphaned.

Last edited:
It also would likely be seen to require revisiting Jarvis. While I would support that, I find it unlikely it will be on next year's list either.
Not necessarily. The stretch between Davisville and St Clair would connect with bike lanes on Moore Avenue and St Clair allowing for improved network connectivity. It's like what @Admiral Beez mentions above about unconnected infrastructure.

Plus the road conditions on the curb of Mt Pleasant through this stretch is in rather poor condition, lots of potholes where cyclists are cycling, if you try to avoid a large puddle you run into risk of being hit from behind by speeding car. The road width through here is definitely suitable for a slight road diet.

long overdue. There has been paint for this partially installed at the intersection with King Street for 5 or 6 years now. I've biked up Sumach the wrong way before thinking there was a contra-flow lane because of it.

Also, I just want to say how transformational of a year this year has been for cycling infrastructure in this city. I feel like Toronto finally has a half-decent cycling network that isn't shot full of key gaps.

Most residential streets would have motor vehicles crossing any yellow line because they are narrow. Expected and acceptable.
Most residential streets don't have yellow lines. Where there is a yellow line, it's expected that road users stay on their side of it.

Besides, my point was merely about optics. Don't promote a bicycle lane with a vehicle driving in it.

Most residential streets don't have yellow lines. Where there is a yellow line, it's expected that road users stay on their side of it.

Besides, my point was merely about optics. Don't promote a bicycle lane with a vehicle driving in it.

Double dare you to try to stay to the right of the yellow line in a BIG car!! A bicycle yes. A school bus no!

1602891791226.png

From link.

Back