Toronto Eight Cumberland | 170m | 51s | Great Gulf | a—A

Sept 27, 2020

20200927_100412.jpg
20200927_100422.jpg
20200927_100425.jpg
20200927_100434.jpg
20200927_100436.jpg
20200927_100445.jpg

Good to see this reach grade level, the density is going to be incredible once all these projects on this collective block are completed.

I counted 7 new towers under construction or proposed in the immediate area. I can’t name them all but I think I counted correctly.

I know that my comment is a little different than other one, but I want to express my opinion about its architecture. It's not the ugliest building in the city, but its look will be boring and monotonous. This boring skyscrapers will hide unfortunately the stunning 1 Yorkville building. To be honest, I prefer the original design to the current one. The previous design was more interesting and more creative than the final design and it fitted well with 1 Yorkville stunning design. I am so sad that the majority of new condo towers have a so boring architecture like this one. It will not be a beautiful addition to the skyline like 1 Yorkville or 1 Bloor east. You can compare the two designs. The first one :
15186-47159.jpeg
And the actual one : 
8-cumberland-rendering-3.jpg
8+Cumberland+Design+Concept+800x1422.jpg
15185-63958.jpg

^^^ Sorry, but the previous design was hideous kitsch more appropriate for Nur-Sultan/Astana, Kazakhstan than Toronto. Also, 1 Yorkville could hardly be described as "beautiful" after being value-engineered within an inch of its life. For a look at how 1 Yorkville could have turned out, look no further than Prestige/Pinnacle One Yonge under construction now.

It's important to appreciate materiality--ie, high-quality vs. value-engineered materials--and design evolution--ie, refined/resolved vs. fussy/gimmicky. Also, try not to get too hung up on renderings. How buildings are executed in the real world is what matters.

Last edited:
I see people taking photos and looking up at 1 Yorkville every time I pass that intersection. People obviously like what they see.

I see people taking photos and looking up at 1 Yorkville every time I pass that intersection. People obviously like what they see.
Urban Toronto readers/viewers aren't exactly "people." We're not the average person on the street. We're a lot more interested in architecture and design than the average person and, generally, we're a lot more informed and have a more sensitive eye for architecture and design than passersby looking up from the sidewalk. And, since we follow the evolution/devolution of designs from early proposals to final designs very closely here on UT, we know what could have been. So, just because "people" are taking pictures, doesn't mean the building's any good.

In the case of 1 Yorkville, I'd say it looks pretty good in very specific lighting conditions, like in full sun in the late afternoon. Otherwise, it's meh. If it were executed in real life as promised in the renderings, specifically without the crappy window wall, then maybe it could've been considered beautiful.

Last edited:
Urban Toronto readers/viewers aren't exactly "people." We're not the average person on the street. We're a lot more interested in architecture and design than the average person and, generally, we're a lot more informed and have a more sensitive eye for architecture and design than passersby looking up from the sidewalk. And, since we follow the evolution/devolution of designs from early proposals to final designs very closely here on UT, we know what could have been. So, just because "people" are taking pictures, doesn't mean the building's any good.

In the case of 1 Yorkville, I'd say it looks pretty good in very specific lighting conditions, like in full sun in the late afternoon. Otherwise, it's meh. If it were executed in real life as promised in the renderings, specifically without the crappy window wall, then maybe it could've been considered beautiful.
Err...I'm not sure that qualifies us as experts on this matter by any stretch. As our views are still fairly subjective and beholden to confirmation bias. So I like to say we're average folks who are more into architecture for a myriad of reasons. But speaking for myself, this is certainly not my field of expertise.

Err...I'm not sure that qualifies us as experts on this matter by any stretch. As our views are still fairly subjective and beholden to confirmation bias. So I like to say we're average folks who are more into architecture for a myriad of reasons. But speaking for myself, this is certainly not my field of expertise.
No, we're not experts, most of us aren't anyway, but we're a lot more informed than the average Joe/Jane on the street, who might be impressed by a building that many of us here on UT would consider crap because of our greater depth of knowledge. Experts, no. Well-informed, yes.

No, we're not experts, most of us aren't anyway, but we're a lot more informed than the average Joe/Jane on the street, who might be impressed by a building that many of us here on UT would consider crap because of our greater depth of knowledge. Experts, no. Well-informed, yes.
So you're a snob? Who only counts their own opinion?

So you're a snob? Who only counts their own opinion?

I don't think he used the royal "we". The building is relentlessly grey and banal, and I know because it dominates the view from my couch. From what I have seen of a 550 sq ft apartment for sale there at 700K+, that banality extends to the interior.

I don't think he used the royal "we". The building is relentlessly grey and banal, and I know because it dominates the view from my couch. From what I have seen of a 550 sq ft apartment for sale there at 700K+, that banality extends to the interior.
So you're pissed because it blocks your view?

Back