News   Mar 28, 2024
 580     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 426     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 759     0 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

The only way I can see this working is if the city put these things at every intersection
View attachment 269803

To only allow bikes through and force cars to go back to the main road.

Because if the shared spaces that were implemented taught me anything its that the cars in this city are hellbent on using side streets to drive around.
The key thing is that through traffic for cars is not permitted. Sometimes they have removable barriers for emergency services, but usually they just design the through-interruptions so that emergency services can still make their response time targets. Just have filtered barriers at intersections or so on so pedestrians and cyclists are not inconvenienced. It's much more effective than a speed bump every 30m.

Item added to agenda of Infrastructure and Environment Ctte.

Letter from Councillor Colle requesting bike lanes and patios on Yonge from south of St. Clair to Lawrence be added in 2021

Said Meeting is currently underway.

What happened to the proposal of Danforth style patios and bike lanes down to Bloor? Did it disappear and Layton pulled out? That would be a very weak move.

“Therefore, we are asking that Transportation Services make the investigation of temporary bike lanes on Yonge Street, between Bloor Street and Lawrence Avenue, a priority for Phase 2 of ActiveTO alongside a review conducted over the fall and winter that would include public consultation with key stakeholders. Both of us are looking forward to collaborating on this together and we invite all Councillors with borders along Yonge, as well as across the City, to support this initiative to get Yonge Street to be as safe and vibrant as possible.”

Apparently upgrades to the Rosedale Valley multi-use path are in the offing.

I asked someone who should know was told.......

A better trail, lighting and rest area(s)...

Too bad though that its not ............road removal, creek daylighting, a better trail and rest areas.............(I can be ambitious, can't I?)

Glad to hear on a new trail going down the Rosedale Valley. What is the estimated time line?

Was told, soon, hopefully.

My impression (may be erroneous) is that design is being worked on now; but construction budget isn't fixed in stone yet.

It's a pretty good path at the moment, it just needs a bit of TLC and some minor upgrades which, based on Northern Light's description, sounds like what were getting. Hopefully the scope also includes some repairs to the path itself; in a number of places, the tree roots under the path have created some pretty significant bumps (rode it a few weeks ago and was nearly flung off my bars in a couple spots) which are difficult to see because it's so heavily shaded.

They should have painted it as hashed if they didn't want people to confuse it as a bike lane.

Hashed line means more paint will be used. More paint means more money will be spent, and the penny-pinchers bureaucrats and politicians can't have that. That's why we see weeds growing along the streets, no money to pull them out.

weeds-compositejpg-1.jpg

From link.

Someone flew their drone across the length of the Montreal REV on St. Denis, to capture the current construction progress on the "cycling highway network". My favourite are the curb islands in the middle of the street, which slows cars down and allows pedestrians to cross safely. The city's plan is to wrap up the entire 8.6 km route by Oct 30 - though the timing is awkward because it's right at the start of snow season...

FYI the Don East Trail Phase 2 opening has been delayed because the city can't get wood. Btw, I think the 'hell' was a typo, but its kind of fitting

Hell Rob,

Yes, you are right, the opening of Phase 2 was aimed to be announced mid-September. However due the low supply of wood, the fabrication of railings are still pending. Due to COVID-19, many people are undertaking home renovations etc. which has resulted in very low supply of wood. In the interim our team may be looking into a temporary solution so that the trail opening is not further delayed.

When it is officially open we will be letting everyone know via our website and newsletter. Please check back on our website for an official opening announcement of Phase II in the Project Updates tab:

https://trca.ca/conservation/green-infrastructure/east-don-trail-project/news/

If you have any more questions, please don’t hesitate to e-mail us back.

Apparently upgrades to the Rosedale Valley multi-use path are in the offing.

I asked someone who should know was told.......

A better trail, lighting and rest area(s)...

Too bad though that its not ............road removal, creek daylighting, a better trail and rest areas.............(I can be ambitious, can't I?)

Some housing for the people living under the viaduct and a general cleanup of the mickeys, syringes, and other litter around Bloor Street would also be good.

Back