Toronto Cricket Park Residences | 30.5m | 8s | Clifton Blake | Studio JCI

Several condo buildings in the Entertainment District and King West have done well with attracting restaurants. While I think North York City Centre has been the best example of a thriving retail scene among new buildings. Many buildings like the Grand Triomphe complex are fully tenanted and feature of variety of eateries along with other uses, and also in smaller unit formats too.

I think a part of it has to do with the timing. When a building like this takes over the whole block it immediately removes 11 retail units and has to try to make up for that loss on opening day. It makes sense that shoppers and banks are so appealing. I wonder what the primary factors are that prevent landlords from adding density on their own? Does zoning or parking minimus get in the way? Or is it simply that big developers have deep pockets and it's easier to sell? It's funny this building would be great on a parking lot, but the total loss of a fine grain retail strip is so disappointing to me. I'm veering off topic, but are there any zoning advocacy groups in Toronto? Something like CycleTo?

Several condo buildings in the Entertainment District and King West have done well with attracting restaurants. While I think North York City Centre has been the best example of a thriving retail scene among new buildings. Many buildings like the Grand Triomphe complex are fully tenanted and feature of variety of eateries along with other uses, and also in smaller unit formats too.
NYCC does have a budding small-bay retail scene, but it was long time in gestation. The units are condo-retail up there, and while all looks good now, it wasn't that way for years post project completion.

NYCC does have a budding small-bay retail scene, but it was long time in gestation. The units are condo-retail up there, and while all looks good now, it wasn't that way for years post project completion.

Yep, I remember making the trek over to Empress Walk to watch movies in my late high school days over a decade ago, there was not much street life at all north of NYCC station. Actually most of the retail only existed within the mall or along the existing low-rise buildings on Yonge between Sheppard and Finch.

Apart from being on the subways line, the accumulated critical mass of all the condos in the area that have sprung up through the years has certainly helped. Along with cultural elements such as businesses that cater to residents of the Korean and Chinese community, especially international students.

The development will have multiple/numerous retail units with 14 foot ceilings, good visibility from the street and a revised public walkway - don't assume the developer isn't interested in seeing smaller retailers thrive with more updated, functional space based on what's submitted to the city - what is submitted is more for working through planning issues not to establish the final configuration of retail

The development will have multiple/numerous retail units with 14 foot ceilings, good visibility from the street and a revised public walkway - don't assume the developer isn't interested in seeing smaller retailers thrive with more updated, functional space based on what's submitted to the city - what is submitted is more for working through planning issues not to establish the final configuration of retail
By any chance, do you know how this is going? I saw many of the old retail stores opened for business after the lockdown was lifted.

By any chance, do you know how this is going? I saw many of the old retail stores opened for business after the lockdown was lifted.

Committee of Adjustment approved this on June 17, 2021, with conditions.

1629324091565.png

1629324116307.png

1629324142176.png

1629324188744.png

1629324222912.png

Last edited:

Back