News   Apr 23, 2024
 238     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 451     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 1.3K     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Wilkie, Daniel R., house, 432 Sherbourne St., w. side, between Carlton & Wellesley Sts. 1908 TPL
Wilkie, Daniel R., house, 432 Sherbourne St., w. side, between Carlton & Wellesley Sts. 1908  ...jpg

Interior
interior.jpg

432 Sherbourne.jpg

Wonder if the bricks were painted because they had deteriorated so much that they couldn't find replacement bricks to match the old bricks?
IMO it was a fashion to paint brick. The house next door had their yellow brick corners painted white. My father did that to our house back in the day...1960’s.

IMO it was a fashion to paint brick. The house next door had their yellow brick corners painted white. My father did that to our house back in the day...1960’s.

Most likely it was because of the soot covering the bricks. Painting the bricks was the cheapest "remedy". The soot came from coal furnaces and boilers, which generally were replaced by oil or natural gas burners by the 1950's or so.

Most likely it was because of the soot covering the bricks. Painting the bricks was the cheapest "remedy". The soot came from coal furnaces and boilers, which generally were replaced by oil or natural gas burners by the 1950's or so.
I well remember the soot. Paint doesn’t stick to soot. The “cure” for soot then was unbridled sandblasting, which degraded the brick.

Just saw this photo on Twitter, posted by the Old Toronto Series ( from the archives), this is Bathurst, looking south at Davenport.

1599968298348.png

Can't get quite the same shot from streetview..............but close'ish.

1599968451430.png

I know this corridor from the odd Saturday at Wychwood Farmer's Market......and walking downhill to the coffee shop, then Fiesta Farms..........before heading home laden w/groceries!

Last edited:

Back