Toronto 3326 Bloor West | 183.1m | 55s | CreateTO | Adamson

Why would 60+ floors here be pushing it?
Just because there is a subway line here, doesnt mean we should be seeing 60-70 story towers built everywhere along the line, or in Etobicoke City Centre in general. You have to consider to existing neighborhood characteristics, the infrastructure present in the surrounding area, etc..

30-40 stories is much more appropriate in general on this site.

Just because there is a subway line here, doesnt mean we should be seeing 60-70 story towers built everywhere along the line, or in Etobicoke City Centre in general. You have to consider to existing neighborhood characteristics, the infrastructure present in the surrounding area, etc..

30-40 stories is much more appropriate in general on this site.
Can you explain why 30-40 stories is much more appropriate?

Why would 60+ floors here be pushing it?

Here's one possible reason:

1598756972482.png

From: https://buildingtheskyline.org/tag/construction-costs/

ITs shows that cost per ft2 rises beyond 55 floors pretty much everywhere.

While Looking at NYC it rises substantially beginning at 35 floors

And Shanghai shows continual increases based on height from less than 15 floors.

That's strictly capital costs.

But operating costs also rise w/height.

The notion that endless height is good must end.

If a typical ranch-bungalow is almost always a waste of space in a high demand urban center...........

Buildings much over 40 floors are almost always vanity projects that make housing less affordable rather than more.

Density is good; but only to a point.

Nuance in construction, as with everything else, is valuable.

I think we were expecting that once MiWay buses moved to Kipling (about 11 weeks ago now) that the TTC would move its remaining three bus routes out the the exterior bays at the end of the old terminal here so that they could begin tearing it down. That has not happened. Anyone know what's in the TTC's capital spending plans for building the new Islington bus terminal? I'd love to see something happen there so that the whole existing terminal can come down and we can get going with transforming this corner.

IMG_3908.jpg

IMG_3907.jpg

I think we were expecting that once MiWay buses moved to Kipling (about 11 weeks ago now) that the TTC would move its remaining three bus routes out the the exterior bays at the end of the old terminal here so that they could begin tearing it down. That has not happened. Anyone know what's in the TTC's capital spending plans for building the new Islington bus terminal? I'd love to see something happen there so that the whole existing terminal can come down and we can get going with transforming this corner.

View attachment 308535View attachment 308536

From the 2021 TTC Capital Budget, analyst notes:

1616954877161.png

1616954932585.png

Attachments

• 1616954856604.png
    1616954856604.png
    4 KB · Views: 154
51 floors!! Etobicoke is finally growing up!

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't really understand why the building furthest west doesn't have at-grade retail like the others. We should be pushing for continuous retail experience along Bloor Street.
With a couple of bridges to cross under, I suppose they don't see the area being attractive enough to engender a successful shopping strip too far from Islington.

Back