News   Apr 22, 2024
 803     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 268     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 681     0 

VIA Rail

OBRY travels right beside the Caledon Ski Club. There's also Kelso :)

I mean I also thought about these on the Orangeville Line to Brampton GO but there just isnt the population over there yet.

Richmond Hill Line to RHC would really be the best imo.

Although thinking outside of Toronto other potentials:

1. Ontario Nothern Railway
2. Vancouver Island Railway
3. Halifax commuter train

My favourite option for what to do with the RDCs is still what VIA had actually planned to do with them: run a standalone RDC service on the London-Kitchener-Toronto corridor and reroute the loco-hauled trains from Sarnia via Brantford. This would have cut more than an hour off the Sarnia-Toronto journey time.

Diagrams I made of the service patterns described in the 2016 corporate plan:

"Current" services (2016)
via_plan0-jpg.86889

"Year 1" services (proposed for 2017):
via_plan1-jpg.86890

The only part of the plan which was actually achieved was the extra service between Toronto and Ottawa.

My favourite option for what to do with the RDCs is still what VIA had actually planned to do with them: run a standalone RDC service on the London-Kitchener-Toronto corridor and reroute the loco-hauled trains from Sarnia via Brantford. This would have cut more than an hour off the Sarnia-Toronto journey time.

via_plan0-jpg.86889

via_plan1-jpg.86890

The only part of the plan which was actually achieved was the extra service between Toronto and Ottawa.

As a Sarnia boy who moved to Toronto at 18, and had to take that train before I got a car, I agree completely! They used to have a Bradford routing and cut it and the train ride got significantly longer.

via_plan0-jpg.86889

via_plan1-jpg.86890

One idea I've toyed with is to interleave the lines from Sarnia and Windsor through London. Essential most trains leaving Sarnia and Windsor travel the direct London to Toronto route but some travel the London-Kitchener-Toronto route.

One idea I've toyed with is to interleave the lines from Sarnia and Windsor through London. Essential most trains leaving Sarnia and Windsor travel the direct London to Toronto route but some travel the London-Kitchener-Toronto route.

That makes sense, though to have "most" trains from Sarnia going via Brantford and "some" via Kitchener you'd need a minimum of 3 trains, which is 3 times more than we currently have...

via_plan0-jpg.86889

via_plan1-jpg.86890

I have 2 requests. (I may have more eventually...)

1) Can you show what the proposed HFR look like?

2) Can you do this for the whole Via system?

I have 2 requests. (I may have more eventually...)

2) The Corridor is pretty much the whole VIA system. The rest of the network has only a single train per day or less, so my service map would just be the same as the ordinary network map.

1) There aren't yet any specifics on the service under HFR, so it would have to be based on my own fantasy service patterns. If you'd asked a couple weeks ago I'd probably have done it, but now my summer holiday is ending so I probably won't get around to it.

There aren't yet any specifics on the service under HFR, so it would have to be based on my own fantasy service patterns.

Supposedly, 15 trains per day on Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal and 18 trains per day on Montreal-Quebec. Based on this article:

I'm guesssing that Kingston-Toronto, Kingston-Ottawa and Kingston-Montreal will all be at 4-6.

Out of curiosity what did you use to draw those line diagrams?

There is really no point. The scales are different with every line outside the Corridor being less than daily.

Last edited:

OpenOffice Draw. Definitely not the best tool for the job but it's free and already on my computer. Adobe Illustrator would be a far better tool.

2) The Corridor is pretty much the whole VIA system. The rest of the network has only a single train per day or less, so my service map would just be the same as the ordinary network map.

1) There aren't yet any specifics on the service under HFR, so it would have to be based on my own fantasy service patterns. If you'd asked a couple weeks ago I'd probably have done it, but now my summer holiday is ending so I probably won't get around to it.

1) I know, and that is kinda the point. If it were drawn on a weekly basis, it would show just how horrible anywhere outside the Corridor really is

2) See below

Supposedly, 15 trains per day on Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal and 18 trains per day on Montreal-Quebec. Based on this article:

I'm guessing that Kingston-Toronto, Kingston-Ottawa and Kingston-Montreal will all be at 4-6.

There is really no point. The scales are different with every line outside the Corridor being less than daily.

See above for it.

Back