Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

I may have missed the boat, but has there been any discussion of using battery technology to make the Brampton section wire-free? This is surely going to be a requirement for parts of the Gatineau-Ottawa link that is being planned to the northeast.

Trains have already been procured and are being built. So, no. Unless Brampton wants to buy a whole fleet of new trains.

^ I think the bridge is being widened. Update: from the June 2017 drawings from the Metrolinx's Hurontario LRT page.

1598469877970.png

1598470086185.png

Last edited:
Are the LRT tracks running on a separate ROW across the 407?
^ I think the bridge is being widened. If you look at Metrolinx's Hurontario LRT page the latest track plans should be there. For context, here's the existing bridge.

Drum mentioned the 407 piers are for the new 407 on ramp. I guess with the on-ramp moved off the main bridge, the middle lane gets freed up for transit down the centre.

407 bridge that will have a guide-way for the LRT
50229701606_6605b68811_b.jpg

50229921732_628c7f829c_b.jpg

50228995998_d65a4b1c5f_b.jpg

50229857782_4553b91416_b.jpg

50229858502_666f0130c2_b.jpg

Are the LRT tracks running on a separate ROW across the 407?

407 bridge that will have a guide-way for the LRT

Just for complete clarity for @Transportfan 's question, the guideway will be in the centre, correct? So the construction in the 407 median is to widen the bridge for the car lanes/ramp lanes, right? I didn't have a chance to measure the existing bridge width and compare it to the drawing posted above.

Just for complete clarity for @Transportfan 's question, the guideway will be in the centre, correct? So the construction in the 407 median is to widen the bridge for the car lanes/ramp lanes, right? I didn't have a chance to measure the existing bridge width and compare it to the drawing posted above.

Also depends upon what the actual width of the traffic lanes they will use. Currently, arterial road traffic lanes are not designed for the posted speed limit, but for the "safety" of speeders doing twice the posted speed limit (or more).

1_0.jpg

From link. Mississauga used 3.5m as a "standard" width and 3.75m for trucks. (Maximum truck wide is 2.6m for refrigerator trucks, see link.)

Standing in the middle of the existing bridge, it not wide enough to support an LRT in the middle. Only when I looked over the side of the bridge at the work on the barrier did I see the pier support that very close to the bridge. It was then I said to myself that they were planning to built a new off ramp so the LRT can be built on the bridge. Even the 403 will not support an LRT and why a new bridge is being built for it.

The 401 bridge was rebuilt with provision for an LRT in the middle.

Reading the drawing, it is showing that the bridge needs to be widen with the yellow and purple markings.

The current speed limit on the road will be a lot lower than it is today in the next 5 years.

Last edited:
As part of the Hurontario LRT project, work has advanced to widen the underpass at Highway 407 to create a new centre and independent deck to carry the LRT guideway. To ensure the underpass can support this weight, crews are driving prefabricated piles into the ground to add further support to the structure.

As part of the Hurontario LRT project, work has advanced to widen the underpass at Highway 407 to create a new centre and independent deck to carry the LRT guideway. To ensure the underpass can support this weight, crews are driving prefabricated piles into the ground to add further support to the structure.

Interesting, I'd have thought that LRT has a lower per axle weight than a transport truck, though I suppose the fact that it's longer (having more axles than a truck, plus future coupled pairs) increases the overall load on the span. Does anyone know if they're planning for embedded track here or if they'll use ballasted like ION did for Northfield Dr over highway 85? My assumption is that ballasted track adds less weight to the bridge than embedded.

Back