News   Apr 24, 2024
 175     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 420     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 455     0 

TransPod Hyperloop

If the Hyperloop is not believed by most engineers technically feasible then fine but that is all the more reason why TC should study it.

No. This is the definition of government waste. And I say that as a military member who draws a paycheque from the crown. I would fight idiocy like this in my workplace. You don't need to blow tens or hundreds of thousands of taxpayer dollars to come up with an order of magnitude estimate to tell you how much bullshit there is here. If they need a consultant to do this, then we have serious issues of technical competence at Transport Canada.

Hyperloop keeps coming back as a potential alternative to traditional HSR and if TC studies it and finds that it is not technical feasible or safe then it will put an end to the conversation once and for all.

This reminds me of Trump claiming that he put the controversy of Obama's birth certificate to bed by getting Obama to release it. Total BS. There is nobody who seriously works in transportation that thinks there's a business case for Hyperloop in our lifetimes. Anybody that does invest in it, uses a ton of student labour and treats it as a science project. You don't need a consultant to catalogue that. You need a second year summer student to write a report.

As far as a TC Hyperloop study just being another way for the government to stall any HSR between Toronto & Montreal, there is no threat.

Every dollar, every minute given to this is taking away from doing something on the Corridor. I'll bet if you email Transport Canada tomorrow and ask them why they haven't done anything about the Corridor in four years of Trudeau's premiership, they'll email you all about their great Hyperloop study.

. Everyone on this forum knows that for all the talk and endless studies, The Corridor will never get true high speed service in our lifetimes

Who cares about High Speed? I just want full speed HSR to happen before I retire in another 25 years. We can't even do that, because government's of every stripe work hard to find excuses instead of buckling down and actually building something.

So high speed rail is already obsolete?

Well, insofar as nearly every technology is obsolete by the time it reaches production as R&D has started working on the new model.

High speed rail continues to have a strong business case for construction in certain areas. Virgin Hyperloop may or may not provide a competitor in the future which can turn a higher profit (TransPod, if they produce something of value, will be acquired).

Last edited:
Hyperloop proposals have actually gone backwards. They are just slowly devolving back into a Maglev. Most of them have already disowned original concepts like the turbo molecular pump in front. This video from the American Rail Club really lays out some of the history:

Hyperloop is very unlikely to work (putting it charitably). Notable that Musk is not working on it himself. It is interesting what he is doing with the Boring Company and 'loop' (specifically not hyper). Running autonomous people movers in small tunnels in cities. We'll see how the Las Vegas project turns out ( currently under construction).

Hyperloop proposals have actually gone backwards. They are just slowly devolving back into a Maglev. Most of them have already disowned original concepts like the turbo molecular pump in front. This video from the American Rail Club really lays out some of the history:

That video confirmed what I already suspected of hyperloop. How is it economical? Hyperloop looks to be just as expensive to construct (if not more) as HSR, except it carries fewer passengers. Looks like an absolute money pit. How many pods have to be constructed and operating just to match how many people a high speed train can move? If hyperloop was as good as the media portrays it as, why aren't people tripping over themselves to invest in it?

That video confirmed what I already suspected of hyperloop. How is it economical? Hyperloop looks to be just as expensive to construct (if not more) as HSR, except it carries fewer passengers. Looks like an absolute money pit. How many pods have to be constructed and operating just to match how many people a high speed train can move? If hyperloop was as good as the media portrays it as, why aren't people tripping over themselves to invest in it?
It's truly shameful that governments keep falling for "OOOH SHINY" things like hyperloops, rather than just building things that work like HSR. Although I'm sure that's mostly due to the oversized influence of wealthy investors and their lobbyists.

It's truly shameful that governments keep falling for "OOOH SHINY" things like hyperloops, rather than just building things that work like HSR. Although I'm sure that's mostly due to the oversized influence of wealthy investors and their lobbyists.
I don't really think it's because of weathy investors more just the promise of it being built with out funds from the government and it will be built on time without any delays or problems despite the fact that no one has used that they type of technology before.

Back