Toronto 100 Queens Quay at Sugar Wharf | 117.34m | 25s | Menkes | B+H

Isn't this type of cladding going to be problematic for bird collisions?

1596227081416.png

Isn't this type of cladding going to be problematic for bird collisions?
Possibly, yes. The bird-friendly requirements of the Toronto Green Standard require visual markers on glazing for the first 12 metres above grade, which is where reflections of trees and foliage cause the most bird strikes. According to the architectural plans, this building does use a bird-friendly glass on the majority of the podium. For the first 12 metres, this building incorporates bird-friendly treatments for 87% of the exterior glazing, which meets the requirement for a minimum of 85%, but only just barely. Unfortunately, there are no requirements for glass above the 12-metre mark (except where the building has exterior vegetation), so there is still a risk of bird strikes higher up.

Toronto requires the markings up to 12 metres on ALL new buildings of some size'r'other and up. (The markings must go higher if there is adjacent higher tree canopy.) FLAP has not being pestering the City to go higher than 12 metres, so I suspect that 12 metres has shown to be high enough to achieve the intended effect.

Right! Any developers needing examples of beautiful glass for their next projects... look no further then this page. Great shots and glass comparisons. Reflectivity goes a long way. Other colours of these types of glass would also be great in the future. I’m still for an all deep purple building myself.

IMG_5858.JPG
IMG_5854.JPG
IMG_5850.JPG

It wasn't that long ago that we could see the lake in a major way from here. Now just a sliver on the left that will be gone sooner than later.
IMG_5849.JPG
IMG_5833.JPG
IMG_5829.JPG

Back