Toronto Eglinton Line 5 Crosstown West Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

They are free in Montréal and were not a success at all. There were plans of building more, like bike rails in metro stations but their usage have been way under expectations.
Probably due to a lack of cycling infrastructure, i assume?

Probably due to a lack of cycling infrastructure, i assume?
Not really, more like stolen bikes. People prefer BIXI now.
During the rebuild of Victoria park station they added an inclosed bike storage area, from what I can gather from information from when I last looked at it you have to sign up with the city of Toronto to get a code to use it. Since I live within in walking distance to it I never really bothered after that.

During the rebuild of Victoria park station they added an inclosed bike storage area, from what I can gather from information from when I last looked at it you have to sign up with the city of Toronto to get a code to use it. Since I live within in walking distance to it I never really bothered after that.

The powers-that-be do their best worst to discourage cycling and e-biking. For example, here in North America we require bike helmets for the under 18's, and for all if e-biking.

The powers-that-be do their best worst to discourage cycling and e-biking. For example, here in North America we require bike helmets for the under 18's, and for all if e-biking.

The NL information is buried somewhere in here:

The Netherlands had an average 2,150 cyclist hospital admissions for head/brain injuries per year from 2003-2007. Per-capita travel by bicycle was 2.5km/day.

Australia had about 1,122 serious head injuries in Australia in 2005/06 for cyclists. Per-capita travel by bicycle was 0.1km/day in that time period.

Australia has a 25% higher population, but even still it's quite clear Australia has far higher number of hospital admissions per km cycled than Netherlands despite most of Australia having mandatory helmet laws at that time. These injury rates were down significantly from the '80's before helmet laws were in place.

I don't have Canadian (or Ontario) numbers but I expect they're much closer to Australia's than NLs.

Short list of bidders is out for the Eglinton West LRT contract.

Likely to be awarded around this time next year.

curious on what the decision making process is. What do they have to review that will take almost a year especially since most of the contractors are well known and have done past jobs?

curious on what the decision making process is. What do they have to review that will take almost a year especially since most of the contractors are well known and have done past jobs?
Maybe the feds will send in their covid money and this thing can get bumped up the list just to rub salt on Scarboroughs transit wounds.

The process tyically goes as follows:

Request for Expressions of Interest (RFEOI) - Potential consortia (different joint ventures are assembled for each project by various companies, each with an applicable expertise in their field (ie construction operations, engineering, tunnelling, etc)). Each consortium submits documents supporting their expertise, etc. (i.e. a resume). The field of potential proponents is narrowed to the most qualified - this is where the Province/Metrolinx is at now. This is important because a bid proposal can cost several hundreds of thousands of dollars to prepare.

Reqest for Proposals (RFP) - The qualified bidders are invited to submit detailed proposals for the project and how they meet the specifications required by the Province/Metrolinx in the RFP. These will take several months for the bidders to prepare. For a design, build, finance contract it would include all of those aspects, so detailed design and costing (for a fixed price contract) would be prepared by the proponent - i.e. a room full of binders.
In responding to the RFP, each proponent will show how it does or does not meet the requirements (including pricing and costs), specfications and functionality required by the RFP, allowing an "apples to apples" comparison of the bids.
Proposals may also contain alternate submissions or options (separately priced) which deviate from the 'base proposal' under the RFP.
The submitted proposals would then be evaluated by Province/Metrolinx (again, months to do) and compared to one another for costs and benefits. Province/Metrolinx may have to go back to each proponent for clarification of elements in each proposal. Province/Metrolinx would then select a successful proponent with whom to negotiate a contract.

Contract Negotiation - Once a successful proponent is selected, the final contract needs to be negotiated with the proponent (again, this can take additional months). The contractual terms will be negotiated by the legal teams and the design and technical specifications will be finalized by the engineering teams and attached as schedules to the contract (although some contracts allow for ongoing design work on the fly after construction has started, but it would be within the fixed price). This is also where there may be some negotiations and "value-engineering" to get the project into the government-approved funding envelope (ie within budget). The proponent may also contribute additional financing (at a cost) if government sources are not sufficient. Any deviation from the agreed scope would be a Change in the Work and would impact price (this is where contractors try to add costs).

For example, here's the contractual structure for Vancouver's Canada Line, where the proponent (InTransitBC) provided $657 million in financing:

f4YuzgQ.png

Last edited:

Back