Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
^That looks a lot like Renault's logo
That it does, wonder if it might cause any issues? Probably not?

Not a fan of the type though, it looks a little goofy.

That being said, I like the diamond motif- it seems almost tailor-made for the building and the two work well together as a corporate statement.

Nice stuff MetroMan, thanks.

Your second one for sure... I'd stuff the ballot box on this. Logo on top (no typography) and then let them scream CIBC as loud as they want at grade. Heck skywrite CIBC every day... but just crown this jewel with the diamond.

For the most part, green roofs in Toronto (after a decade) contain whatever the birds drop off that is willing to grow in shallow very dry soil.

Shrubs and wildflowers like you've shown generally don't like shallow very dry soil. You'd need to actively maintain a garden like that with a watering system (and associated maintenance) and much larger concrete supports; these would eliminate the carbon benefits. The original plantings are a placeholder until nature takes place but that takes a bit of time.

The roof of the Elementary Teachers' Federation of Ontario on Isabella has changed considerably from what was originally installed. The grasses and thistles (which count as wildflowers) growing on it now were not planted by the gardeners; they are the local (native or adopted) species which are happy in that environment. It's not terribly pretty but it is a native green roof with carbon benefits.
Image for illustration:

1596392510266.png

I appreciate the argument of allowing nature to take it's course and adjust to the conditions. I do wonder though if it could be worth it to make these green roofs a little bit deeper to accommodate a greater variety of species (and add resiliency to periods of dry weather/winter seasons), and perhaps incorporate some sort of soil filtration/water recycling system for the building.

Nice stuff MetroMan, thanks.

Your second one for sure... I'd stuff the ballot box on this. Logo on top (no typography) and then let them scream CIBC as loud as they want at grade. Heck skywrite CIBC every day... but just crown this jewel with the diamond.

Let's not get too overconfident. CIBC can still screw this up...👀

Screen Shot 2020-08-02 at 4.06.01 PM.png

Last edited:
I don't understand why we use grass for green roofs instead of native shrubs and wildflowers.

See: https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/shabby-public-realm.18471/page-49#post-1577792

We should try and give habitat to wildlife whenever we can. The bees and butterflies have no problem flying up 10 or so storeys to reach many green roofs around the city.

One person in that thread said the city didn't maintain it properly and the patch is now mostly weeds. So perhaps there won't be as many savings as one might think, given that maintenance is still required, even if it's not mowing.

I think it should just be a red diamond, the splash of color while still staying restrained would be welcome to this area.

...I gotta feeling they're not going to change the logo or brand so it would suit this building though, for right or wrong. Perhaps, they'll redesign it in the near future with less a emphasis hotdog and mustard colour scheme...one can surely hope.

...I gotta feeling they're not going to change the logo or brand so it would suit this building though, for right or wrong. Perhaps, they'll redesign it in the near future with less a emphasis hotdog and mustard colour scheme...one can surely hope.

No, they're definitely changing their logo. They submitted the application in January and were recently granted the trademark.

It's just a matter of how ostentatious they're going to go with branding the towers. Given the quality of the building itself, I have faith that it'll be in good taste and use high quality signage.

No, they're definitely changing their logo. They submitted the application in January and were recently granted the trademark.

It's just a matter of how ostentatious they're going to go with branding the towers. Given the quality of the building itself, I have faith that it'll be in good taste and use high quality signage.
Oh, forgive me...I missed that part of the conversation. So ignore what I said, and thus I sit correct. :(

Back