Toronto 16 York | 154.83m | 32s | Cadillac Fairview | a—A

^ Yes the LED strip has already been tested on the residential section of the podium a while back. I'm not sure why they turned it off.

Because it was so bright it was keeping the residents up at night. I hope they keep the strip off permanently. It's awful.
It runs the under side of the perimeter of the canopy so not sure how anyone could see it from their suites. The one on the section around 16 seems to have a diffuser on the light. Much softer. Hope they do the same to the section around ice

It runs the under side of the perimeter of the canopy so not sure how anyone could see it from their suites. The one on the section around 16 seems to have a diffuser on the light. Much softer. Hope they do the same to the section around ice
I was talking about the residents in the neighboring buildings. ICE towers have been bad neightbours in many ways.

Am I the only one who is not that sensitive to light at night?

To be fair though, I can't sleep when it's too dark...so I am probably posting this entirely in the anecdote.

I was talking about the residents in the neighboring buildings. ICE towers have been bad neightbours in many ways.
True, I would assume infinity residents are the ones that see the lights. MLS and Ten have non residential podiums taller then the ice canopy. I will say though, I can imagine it will be not so nice to live in infinity lower levels facing the ice courtyard

True, I would assume infinity residents are the ones that see the lights. MLS and Ten have non residential podiums taller then the ice canopy. I will say though, I can imagine it will be not so nice to live in infinity lower levels facing the ice courtyard

Actually the MLS buildings are affected by the lighting at the top of 16 York. Think Kenny Rogers chicken.

Am I the only one who is not that sensitive to light at night?

To be fair though, I can't sleep when it's too dark...so I am probably posting this entirely in the anecdote.
It is the same for me. Did you grow up in the City by chance?

I grew up with a bedroom facing the lights and noise of a major arterial street. When I go to the suburbs or countryside, I have trouble sleeping with it being so quiet. Conversely, I have had friends who grew up in the suburbs comment that they have trouble sleeping with the lights/noise of downtown.

It is the same for me. Did you grow up in the City by chance?

I grew up with a bedroom facing the lights and noise of a major arterial street. When I go to the suburbs or countryside, I have trouble sleeping with it being so quiet. Conversely, I have had friends who grew up in the suburbs comment that they have trouble sleeping with the lights/noise of downtown.

I grew up in Scarborough and spent a lot of time in Port Perry during the summer months. The few times I slept over at my work (a condo building) I could not get any proper sleep. The noise off York Street and lights in the surrounding office towers made it difficult. In Scarborough it is peaceful and I am out like a light.

I grew up in Scarborough and spent a lot of time in Port Perry during the summer months. The few times I slept over at my work (a condo building) I could not get any proper sleep. The noise off York Street and lights in the surrounding office towers made it difficult. In Scarborough it is peaceful and I am out like a light.
when you love downtown you expect to see light and hear noise. That’s part of living down here. I tend to like looking at bank logos and signs right outside my window.

I think the light strip's fine if it's dimmed to a reasonable brightness, as maybe to provide a bit of wash lighting on the canopy rather than being an accent strip.

York St Sidewalk now open in front of 16.
736D62EB-9FC0-4951-873C-0D7901E999B9.jpeg
65FFBB83-9A28-4E14-A532-3849AB0ED86F.jpeg
4A44F418-25D4-4795-9ACE-010A020B00C4.jpeg
0BA87E69-FC83-42CD-92C3-471DA934DD97.jpeg
4AB190E4-DE7B-4FAE-91F3-2433C21C934C.jpeg
093F7997-F245-48F0-B2B6-9CD208FF7866.jpeg

Proper shots of 16 York shot this evening, showing the progression of exterior elements. The lines at this intersection are pretty amazing! Especially with the strip light on the underside of the canopy as well as vertical lines of the ceiling lights inside the lobby.
Shots by me.

DUS01587 copy.jpg
DUS01553 copy.jpg
DUS01569 copy.jpg
DUS01575 copy.jpg
DUS01570 copy.jpg
DUS01572 copy.jpg
DUS01563 copy.jpg

Back