News   Apr 19, 2024
 402     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 725     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 749     1 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

From Becky Katz Twitter: Danforth is changing!

1594736453579.png

From link.

"Under Canada’s Constitution Act, the provinces and territories have exclusive jurisdiction over the building and maintenance of national highways. Local and municipal roads are under the jurisdiction of municipal governments. The federal government administers a number of federal funds to assist with road infrastructure projects, many of which are structured through bilateral cost-sharing agreements with specific provinces, territories or municipal governments for specific projects. Most of the monies for these various funds come from consolidated revenue, which is then allocated through a budgetary process. However, part of the federal gas tax revenue is earmarked for municipal infrastructure projects under the Federal Gas Tax Fund.

Provincially, the general practice is not to tie fuel taxes to highway or road infrastructure projects. In most provinces, expenditure on highway infrastructure projects is allocated under a government budget from the general revenue rather than from a particular tax source. Public-private partnerships have also been utilized to fund major road infrastructure projects."

Maybe it is time as a way to combat climate change that the federal funds currently used to assist with road infrastructure projects be allocated towards pedestrian and cycling infrastructure instead.

Amazing! Now if they could only figure out how to stop cars from going the wrong way, southbound on Shaw via Dupont.

At least 15-20 cars per day go the wrong way.

Oh, don't get me started: I think the number is actually significantly higher than 20, and I have complained ad nauseam to the councillor's office; they told me that have lodged these complaints with Transportation, which has repeatedly insisted that more signage is not necessary (also do not get me started on how ineffective, retrograde, and generally harmful the Transportation Department is), despite the overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

This is great! I live on Langford, where this picture is taken from. Upon seeing the post, I immediately left to see it in person. From what I saw, westbound from Jones to Ferrier (west of Carlaw) is marked, and eastbound from Gough to Pape. I'm hoping the increased number of cyclists using the sidewalk will use the bicycle lanes. In some sections there barely is any sidewalk left to walk along with almost every restaurant opening/expanding their patio space and the assortment of street furniture.

That is another total no-brainer to be made permanent when this is all over.

They all are, really. Some clearly have more potential for backlash than others; but all make sense; as do a great more that have yet to be proposed!

From link.

"Under Canada’s Constitution Act, the provinces and territories have exclusive jurisdiction over the building and maintenance of national highways. Local and municipal roads are under the jurisdiction of municipal governments. The federal government administers a number of federal funds to assist with road infrastructure projects, many of which are structured through bilateral cost-sharing agreements with specific provinces, territories or municipal governments for specific projects. Most of the monies for these various funds come from consolidated revenue, which is then allocated through a budgetary process. However, part of the federal gas tax revenue is earmarked for municipal infrastructure projects under the Federal Gas Tax Fund.

Provincially, the general practice is not to tie fuel taxes to highway or road infrastructure projects. In most provinces, expenditure on highway infrastructure projects is allocated under a government budget from the general revenue rather than from a particular tax source. Public-private partnerships have also been utilized to fund major road infrastructure projects."

Maybe it is time as a way to combat climate change that the federal funds currently used to assist with road infrastructure projects be allocated towards pedestrian and cycling infrastructure instead.

No they're not mutually exclusive

Is this the first time we've seen blue in the city of Toronto?

Believe so, and it actually makes me wonder if that blue strip is related to the curb/patio extension rather than the bike lane (it also looks narrower than the CoT minimum width); it's tough to see from the perspective of that photo, but it looks like they may have painted guiding lines for the bike lane to the left of that blue strip.

Back