News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 754     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.2K     3 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

Also, I find they don't get close enough to the intersection. I'm not sure why they stop short, but with the current setup I can see drivers cutting into the cycle track to make their turns.
There's at least a handful of instances where these, or similar concrete barriers, have been damaged because of turning vehicles. Sherbourne/Richmond and Queen's Park/Hoskin come to mind.

There's at least a handful of instances where these, or similar concrete barriers, have been damaged because of turning vehicles. Sherbourne/Richmond and Queen's Park/Hoskin come to mind.
Better a piece of concrete than a cyclist. Anyway, I seriously doubt a car could cause appreciable damage to a solid concrete block beyond some scuffing unless the vehicle was going very quickly...

Better a piece of concrete than a cyclist. Anyway, I seriously doubt a car could cause appreciable damage to a solid concrete block beyond some scuffing unless the vehicle was going very quickly...
I'd wager they were hit by larger, heavier vehicles. They're a great addition but I'm always looking forward to the next iteration.

Councillors Fletcher and Bradford have written to the Infrastructure and Environment Ctte seeking direction to staff to protect all intersections along the Dundas East bike lane as interim step towards redesigning said lanes as Cycle Tracks.

Also, they have asked that staff be directed to establish a new bike lane/cycle track corridor N-S to connect Cosburn to Danforth.

They don't specify a preferred road, but it would almost certainly be Donlands. Noted in the letter is that many cyclists begin their journey btw Donlands and Pape.

Last edited:
Also, they have asked that staff be directed to establish a new bike lane/cycle track corridor N-S to connect Cosburn to Danforth.

They don't specify a preferred road, but it would almost certainly be Donlands. Noted in the letter is that many cyclist begin their journey btw Donlands and Pape.

A Donlands bike lane should go further and connect to the Leaside bridge too, rather than stop short at Cosburn.

The Bradford/Fletcher letter, as motion, has passed.

Additional protection forthcoming for Dundas Bike Lane, this summer; with report back on timeline for next steps for a new N-S bikelane, likely on Donlands.

A Donlands bike lane should go further and connect to the Leaside bridge too, rather than stop short at Cosburn.

Agreed. Though breaking the request into two makes sense.

Because at O'Connor, Donlands has angled parking in front of the retail.

The bike lanes there will require its removal and replacement with parallel parking.

That will likely cut parking spaces by in/around 2/3.

I'm totally supportive; but one can't be unaware, that even if Fletcher is willing to plow through, a mixture of opposition, plus time for design/reconstruction would delay the southern portion of any lane by at least a year.

I expect the motion was crafted this way specifically to avoid a headache and get it done.

Also, I find they don't get close enough to the intersection. I'm not sure why they stop short, but with the current setup I can see drivers cutting into the cycle track to make their turns.

If they are dotted at the intersection, they are allowed. Solid line, no.

If they are dotted at the intersection, they are allowed. Solid line, no.
I'm aware of the law and the interruption of the cycle track for turning is a separate issue I have with certain intersections on Richmond. However, the picture posted by @ADRM which started this discussion has a solid line and as well as a sign indicating vehicle traffic should yield to the cycle track and so my comment should be interpreted as being critical of the concrete placement in the solid line situation.

From CycleTo: https://www.cycleto.ca/news/growing-activeto-bike-lanes

Painted/Buffered (But not protected) bike lanes should be coming next week to Huntingwood from VP to Brimley; and to Wilmington from Sheppard to Finch.

The Danforth cycle tracks are due to roll out the week of July 20th.

Paint now in on Shaw. Would love to see much more of this sort of filtering across the city.

9AA8EA57-FBAC-4D56-B66C-58B8082B5038.jpeg

Back