News   Apr 24, 2024
 606     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 828     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 543     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

Back to Covid for a moment.

Today's stats are mostly flat, with a couple of notes.

Upside:

Number of people in ICU in Ontario continues to decline with only 31 patients remaining in ICU in the province (for Covid)

Downside:

A moderate uptick in new cases; entirely because of Windsor-Essex and almost certainly related to migrant workers. (86 out of 170 cases province wide were in Windsor-Essex, compared to 55 in all of Toronto and Peel)

Sigh.

Need to get this issue nipped in the bud, now!

Every farm where there's a problem, people need to be isolated. Now, now, now, now!

Where there is no problem, yet; workers still need more appropriate and far less crowded accommodation.

Also testing needs to get out in front of any problem and not be reactionary.

Last edited:
Government determines the number of medical school graduates, and their tuition (currently deregulated to the university level, but wasn't when I was in University and that can be reversed)

Medical school admissions were cut by the Rae government to cut physician services costs, on the premise that more doctors meant more fee-for-service billing.

I find that logic strained even in an F for S model.

Be that as it may; I would rather see increased medical school admissions; up to 2 additional medical schools in Ontario as well; and then appropriate control of costs through a shift towards salaried care and modernized F for S billing where applicable.

York U has long coveted a medical school and should get one; as should Waterloo with the latter being given a specific mandate to focus on medicine and technology.

Part of the issue, which I am admittedly not completely familiar with, is the access and qualifications of foreign-trained doctors. I have two nieces; one was medically educated in Ireland, the other in Canada but interned in the US. Both had to jump through extra hoops before they could be certified in Ontario. I realize that there is a need to ensure standards of practice and education, but it's not like they came from U of Uzbekistan. It strikes me as a lot of turf protection.

Another issue is staffing of small town/rural communities. I would like to see some type of incentive, perhaps in the form of partial tuition reimbursement, in return for a x-year 'posting' to smaller locations. Similar to ROTP, it is a contractual agreement. Many small communities have 'physician recruitment' programs but they are limited in what they can offer.

Police investigating after racist, anti-mask tirade at Mississauga supermarket goes viral

July 8, 2020

Police say they’re investigating a nearly four-minute cellphone video that appears to show a man hurling anti-Asian and anti-mask rhetoric towards T&T Supermarket employees in Mississauga, Ontario.

The video, posted to YouTube, has been viewed more than 140,000 times by Wednesday evening.

Update:

1594393556425.png

Canada should withhold payment to who after corona ends unless they reform.

Pretty much force their hand.

Join with UK australia and NZ and others.

It's about being better prepared for next time as I feel pandemic response was horrible from them

Of course hold feet to our govt fire for our own failures as well.

Last edited:
Canada should withhold payment to who after corona ends unless they reform.

Pretty much force their hand.

Join with UK australia and NZ and others.

It's about being better prepared for next time as I feel pandemic response was horrible from them

Of course hold feet to our govt fire for our own failures as well.

Haha, the UK - they are in no position to talk about the COVID response from anyone.

AoD

Last edited:
From ProPublica:

AoD
The hospitals in Florida are filling up, but hey, Disneyworld opens tomorrow ....

The hospitals in Florida are filling up, but hey, Disneyworld opens tomorrow ....

I know right, it's one of the biggest WTF. Magic Kingdom might get a dose of reality soon.

Also can you imagine someone traveling from out of state going there?

AoD

Last edited:

Back