News   Apr 18, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 8.8K     2 

AC Flt 621 Anniversary

lenaitch

Member Bio
Reaction score
We are just past the 50th anniversary (July 5, 1970) of the crash of DC-8 AC Flight 621 into a farm field in what is now the City of Brampton. A friend was working with the City on a memorial event that obviously had to be downgraded to virtual and, for some reason, was truncated from one hour to about 12 minutes. Another friend was one of the, if not the, first responder on scene. A scene of total devastation which he described a "eerily quiet" with only the sound of a few small spot fires and the flapping of debris in the breeze. 109 killed. The Woodbridge arena was used as a temporary morgue.

There is now a memorial garden at the site which is registered as a cemetery because of the likelihood of buried remains.

We are just past the 50th anniversary (July 5, 1970) of the crash of DC-8 AC Flight 621 into a farm field in what is now the City of Brampton. A friend was working with the City on a memorial event that obviously had to be downgraded to virtual and, for some reason, was truncated from one hour to about 12 minutes. Another friend was one of the, if not the, first responder on scene. A scene of total devastation which he described a "eerily quiet" with only the sound of a few small spot fires and the flapping of debris in the breeze. 109 killed. The Woodbridge arena was used as a temporary morgue.

There is now a memorial garden at the site which is registered as a cemetery because of the likelihood of buried remains.

If I recall correctly someone went back to the site maybe a decade or so ago and found that there is still extant human remains (nevermind aircraft debris).

Wait - we actually had a thread on UT: https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/air-canada-flight-621-crash-in-brampton.7308/

More on the human remains issue:

Kind of surprised (and disgusted) by the amount of handwashing by the powers that be and the callous attitude towards it.

AoD

Last edited:
If I recall correctly someone went back to the site maybe a decade or so ago and found that there is still extant human remains (nevermind aircraft debris).

Wait - we actually had a thread on UT: https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/air-canada-flight-621-crash-in-brampton.7308/

More on the human remains issue:

Kind of surprised (and disgusted) by the amount of handwashing by the powers that be and the callous attitude towards it.

AoD

You are correct. The angle of impact was steep so the main impact crater was quite deep. The normal freeze/thaw cycle slowly works items to the surface. Small pieces of aircraft debris have been found as well as bone fragments that I believe were shown to be human.

Read the CVR transcript from the crash of the two month old DC-8. It is chilling. The memorial, as well as the Air India 182 memorial at Humber bay, are worth a visit.

Some photos from my visit to the 621 memorial in July of 2015.
WP_20150729_10_16_41_Pro.jpg

WP_20150729_10_17_49_Pro.jpg
WP_20150729_10_17_58_Pro.jpg

Read the CVR transcript from the crash of the two month old DC-8. It is chilling. The memorial, as well as the Air India 182 memorial at Humber bay, are worth a visit.

The pilots messed up. In any case, early jet flights are (relatively) shockingly accident prone.

AoD

The pilots messed up. In any case, early jet flights are (relatively) shockingly accident prone.

AoD
It's actually more complicated than that. There was a big disconnect between what the Air Canada Ground School training department and pilots believed in terms of when the ground spoilers could be activated and actual scenarios in which the ground spoilers were able deploy.

As is Peggy's Cove (Swissair Flt 111) if you are down that way. A few years ago on a bike trip we stopped into the Flight 93 National Historic Site in rural Pennsylvania. It is quite compelling.

Was at the SR111 memorial in 2008. I just can't do any of the 9/11 stuff since it affected me badly. I lost my job, lost my home and had a personal connection to the plane that crashed into the pentagon. Maybe some day I will get there but 19 yrs later and it is still as fresh to me as the day it happened.

Sr111 memorial:
_7064041.JPG

AI182 Memorial:
IMG_0582.JPG

Remembering the 109 lives lost on the 52nd anniversary of the crash. Photos from last year.
DJI_0802.JPG
DJI_0810.JPG
DJI_0816.JPG

Back