News   Apr 17, 2024
 310     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 282     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.7K     1 

Amazon Fulfillment Centre Scarborough (6351 Steeles Ave East, Manulife, Broccolini, 1s, Ware Malcomb)

PMT

Member Bio
Reaction score
Link to Dev App site: http://app.toronto.ca/DevelopmentAp...3067411&isCofASearch=false&isTlabSearch=false

Broccolini has been awarded the mandate for the construction of another fulfillment centre for Amazon in Ontario. After the successful development and construction by Broccolini of Amazon's 1 million-square-foot fulfillment centre in Ottawa, the American multinational turned once again to Broccolini for the development and construction of their latest fulfillment centre which will be located in Scarborough, Ontario.

This new state-of-the-art fulfillment centre will have a surface area of 1 million square feet and will create more than 600 full-time jobs with comprehensive benefits. When construction is complete, associates at this new robotics facility will pick, pack and ship small items to customers, ranging from toys and baby products to small electronics.

Construction of the Scarborough Amazon fulfillment centre began this past August 2019 and Amazon's scheduled move in date is slated for August 30th, 2020.

"The new Scarborough fulfillment centre is the 2nd 1 million-square-foot facility that Broccolini will build for Amazon in a span of 2 years. We are honoured and proud that Amazon has turned to us once again as a reliable and trusted partner. This speaks to the success of our collaboration for the development and construction of the facility in Ottawa," said Michael Broccolini, VP of Business Development & Finance at Broccolini.

Site Plan:

Rendering:

Link to Dev App site: http://app.toronto.ca/DevelopmentAp...3067411&isCofASearch=false&isTlabSearch=false

Site Plan:
View attachment 207677

Rendering:
View attachment 207678

I realize it's a utilitarian warehouse. Still, how blah. What's wrong with more windows, why shouldn't the workforce get to see daylight?

Also this sad sack thing is right next to Rouge Park.......(relatively) and immediately next to one of the tributaries of the Rouge. Such an incongruity to me with the site context. Sigh....

I realize it's a utilitarian warehouse. Still, how blah. What's wrong with more windows, why shouldn't the workforce get to see daylight?

Also this sad sack thing is right next to Rouge Park.......(relatively) and immediately next to one of the tributaries of the Rouge. Such an incongruity to me with the site context. Sigh....
It better not get too hot in the summer. There was an Amazon fulfillment centre in the American South where employees died of heat exhaustion.

1593874199964.png

1593874212983.png

1593874227841.png

View attachment 255571

View attachment 255572

View attachment 255573

That roof in 2020 is just so disappointing. No greenroof, no PV, no cool roof.

AoD

That roof in 2020 is just so disappointing. No greenroof, no PV, no cool roof.

AoD

Agreed!

Which immediately made me think of the Toronto Green Roof by-law; and the Toronto Green Standard

Below is the relevant section of this application.

Certainly, it appears non-compliant on its face; though the boxes checked seem to indicate a 'cool roof' and solar panels neither of which are in the render.

1593882071720.png

Also note:

1593882742873.png

Once again, we see the Cool Roof referenced; though the solar panels are unmentioned here.

Below is a link to the Green-Roof by-law page which includes how to handle an exemption request. Not clear if that was made here:

This is the link to the report approved by Council. I see no mention of exemptions.

Attachments

• 1593882833802.png
    1593882833802.png
    14 KB · Views: 260
Adding some perspective to what this Fulfillment Centre is all about. This is considered to be a "last-mile" hub for Amazon, so not a typical Amazon distribution centre per-se. Goods from the typical larger Amazon Fulfillment Centres will be sent to smaller last-mile hubs such as this, sorted, and ultimately sent out for delivery.

Back