News   Apr 24, 2024
 963     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 623     0 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

.. don't worry, the truss bridge over the French River will remain. It just underwent rehab a few years ago and will continue as a local route.

I miss the Moon River truss bridge. At least the French River one will remain - including the access to the French River Provincial Park and visitor centre.

Bit of a story behind the original Moon R. bridge. The original Hwy 103 (later 69) alignment was to be approx. 100yd to the east but they couldn't find bedrock at a reasonable depth so had to move it (the current 400 is on the old 2-lane alignment. It was apparently a deep sand pocket. You can still see the intended alignment in sat photos.

Found this web page from BOT Construction that better explains what they're doing on the QEW between Trafalgar and Winston Churchill.

Key Elements:

• Widening of the QEW over 1.6km for future HOV lanes
  • Reconstruction of 2 interchanges - QEW/Ford Drive and QEW/Hwy 403
  • Demolition of 4 structures - QEW eastbound and westbound over Hwy 403 and QEW eastbound and westbound over Ford Drive
  • 2 new structural steel structures for QEW over Ford Drive
  • 2 new rigid frame structures for QEW over Hwy 403
  • Rehabilitation of 6 structures (Upper Middle Road/Hwy 403 eastbound; Hwy 403 westbound/Upper Middle Road; Hwy 403 eastbound/ Ford Drive ; Hwy 403 west bound/Ford Drive)
  • Reconstruction of on/off ramps (QEW westbound from Ford Dr. over Joshua Creek; Hwy 403 eastbound to Ford Dr. over Josh Creek)
  • Resurfacing of Hwy 403
  • Excavation, grading, sewers, electrical, structures, surfacing and signage

Found this web page from BOT Construction that better explains what they're doing on the QEW between Trafalgar and Winston Churchill.

Key Elements:

• Widening of the QEW over 1.6km for future HOV lanes
  • Reconstruction of 2 interchanges - QEW/Ford Drive and QEW/Hwy 403
  • Demolition of 4 structures - QEW eastbound and westbound over Hwy 403 and QEW eastbound and westbound over Ford Drive
  • 2 new structural steel structures for QEW over Ford Drive
  • 2 new rigid frame structures for QEW over Hwy 403
  • Rehabilitation of 6 structures (Upper Middle Road/Hwy 403 eastbound; Hwy 403 westbound/Upper Middle Road; Hwy 403 eastbound/ Ford Drive ; Hwy 403 west bound/Ford Drive)
  • Reconstruction of on/off ramps (QEW westbound from Ford Dr. over Joshua Creek; Hwy 403 eastbound to Ford Dr. over Josh Creek)
  • Resurfacing of Hwy 403
  • Excavation, grading, sewers, electrical, structures, surfacing and signage

Too bad there's no 403 West to QEW East ramp.

Bradford Bypass update:

The provincial government is proposing a regulation to exempt select Ministry of Transportation projects from the requirements of the Environmental Assessment Act, subject to conditions for environmental protection: the Bradford Bypass and several Ministry of Transportation Provincial Transportation Facilities class environmental assessments (Class EA) projects. The full list of projects is included in the Environmental Registry link below. MECP is seeking input on these proposed amendments during a 45-day comment period, closing on August 22, 2020. Please refer to https://ero.ontario.ca/notice/019-1883

Slight off topic but having driven through the awkward intersection of hwy's 28 and 62 in Bancroft for the second time I'm wondering if this can't be improved somewhat.

1) Shifting a portion of hwy 62 from it's co signing with MIll street to be cosigned with Hastings street starting at the intersection with Newkirk rd. A new bridge would be built over the York (?) river and Hastings street widened to provincial highway standards.

2) a round about installed at the intersection of hwy 28, Station st, and Chemaushgon rd's

Attached is an attempted image of my suggestion.
bancroft.jpg

The Station street / Chemaushgon Road intersection is very confusing if you've never been there before. I worked at one of the Ontario Travel Information Centres in my younger years and was trying to explain to a group how to get to a camp past the airport. I think I left them more confused than they came in.

The Station street / Chemaushgon Road intersection is very confusing if you've never been there before. I worked at one of the Ontario Travel Information Centres in my younger years and was trying to explain to a group how to get to a camp past the airport. I think I left them more confused than they came in.

No kidding!

From what I know the original bridge will go from 6 lanes to 4 lanes one-way. The current bridge does not have any shoulders so I would assume the travel lanes may be widened a bit and have shoulders. The innermost lane could be HOV as well who knows?

The new span would be built with a similar width as the original, so 4 lanes + shoulders, reconfigurable to 6 tight lanes (3 each way) while the old span is rehabilitated.

Bradford Bypass update:

Something about cutting the environmental protections and as mentioned in the article above about expropriations fast tracking sounds like a good way to end up endlessly in court over these decisions. Especially, when it comes to free and informed consent with Indigenous people's; I foresee that forgoing these may actually end up with more time spend in courthouses unnecessarily in the name of 'fast tracking' and doing something. While I think the Bradford Bypass would be a good addition to connect the 400 and 404; as long as its the farthest connector piece allowed. I feel like we end up in these back and forth of Government 1 cuts regulations and then something bad happens; government 2 adds the protections back plus more which slows everything down again. Rinse and repeat.

Back