News   Apr 18, 2024
 998     3 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 302     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 667     1 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

^I’m told that one of the West Harbour trains has been an L2 consist the last couple of days.
But seriously, would this convince Metrolinx that it would be possible to have way shorter consists to have some mid-day or weekend service where none exist or even service some routes that currently are un-serviced?

L2 = two locomotives.

Nope... loco and 2 coaches. Same nomenclature intended as L6, L10, or L12.

Over the years GO has had all sorts of train lengths, generally 3 cars was as low as they ever went, but they ran their DMU’s as 2-car trains in the early years. The question is whether it’s more convenient to standardise consist lengths versus constantly pulling them apart, and having to manage more complex cycling of a variety of consists versus one size fits all.

Right now with COVID, GO has a surplus of equipment and far fewer runs in their schedule, so cycling isn’t an issue. The 2-car train is more a statement of just how far ridership has fallen.

- Paul

I didn’t think it was ever going to happen anymore as the platforms are marked for 6-car consists and higher for the accessible platform to line up with the right coach.

Such a train would only legally accept two bicycles as they are prohibited from the accessibility coach and the newer train cars (cabs included) have lower level lavatories, making bikes allowed only through one door.

I'm confused...the current GO schedules show no train service to West Harbour.

Mea culpa - here's the photo. Seems it wasn't a revenue train, just an equipment move. The location made me believe it was a West Harbour train.

- Paul

Would this be a good go bus routing for connecting the rer + transit hub stations together? I think this could be something that could actually happen once rer is complete
88C2937C-A591-4ABA-B85C-D72CA1BE2B8E.jpeg

Would this be a good go bus routing for connecting the rer + transit hub stations together? I think this could be something that could actually happen once rer is completeView attachment 254707
The part from Pearson to Rutherford is reasonable but I don't think anyone would take the whole trip with the long detour around Rutherford and Pearson going from Unionville to Kipling.
Also, the portion from Person to Kipling will be in direct competition with TTC.

I would divide them into the following routes, connecting Go lines further from Union:

Unionville - Richmond Hill Centre - Rutherford - Bramalea - Lisgar
Unionville - Richmond Hill Centre - Bramalea - Lisgar
Oakville - Lisgar - Mount Pleasent

The part from Pearson to Rutherford is reasonable but I don't think anyone would take the whole trip with the long detour around Rutherford and Pearson going from Unionville to Kipling.
Also, the portion from Person to Kipling will be in direct competition with TTC.

I would divide them into the following routes, connecting Go lines further from Union:

That’s actually better to divide them. I think we could have an express route skipping rutherford and maybe or maybe not serving the 407 station in that branch, although it does make sense to serve it anyways because of how unnecessarily big and overdeveloped the station is. Also hopefully a Kitchener/Guelph-Hamilton (or Aldershot) routing could also happen as well to fully complete the direction connections (maybe as all one bus route, going from Kitchener to Guelph then express to the Hamilton area)

But what about the Kipling regional hub though. Metrolinx said they were gonna have go buses serving the area but what routes exactly?

But what about the Kipling regional hub though. Metrolinx said they were gonna have go buses serving the area but what routes exactly?
From Kipling, one can already take TTC 123 to Long Branch, Miway 109 to Square One, TTC 900 to Pearson, TTC 927 to Humber. No one really knows what Metrolinx is planning.

No, service to 407 etr station is sufficient. No need to take such a detour to go to rutherford. Besides if go ever gets around to building concord go than you can stop there

How about adding Renforth Station to the Milton GO buses and TTC 427 expresses? A lot fewer additional service hours with a lot of the same benefits the new route would have. It does seem that GO is rather found of adding additional infrequent routes over tweaking their existing services to do more and running better frequencies though.

Back