News   Apr 19, 2024
 466     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 9.5K     2 

Yonge-Dundas Square/Sankofa Square (Brown + Storey Architects)

Meh, as Christopher Hitchens says, free speech laws are a rod for your own back- and that one shouldn’t take refuge in the false security of consensus.

Just post a police officer or two nearby, if things get pushy, then have them deal with it.

Anyways, I wonder what sort of impact the physical gentrification (screens + redevelopment) and the simultaneous civic de-gentrification (increased rowdiness) is going to have on YD Square’s place in the urban psyche?

Only one or two police officers? I want a whole garrison damnit!

I work close to Yonge-Dundas Square but normally avoid it for a variety of reasons. Today at lunch hour I decided to take a stroll over there for the first time since the outbreak and it was an eerie experience. With all the shoppers, students, and tourists gone, basically the only people left were a handful of homeless, mentally ill, and addicts aimlessly ambling about, often glaring at me with empty expressions like I was trapped in some sort of hellish zombie-apocalypse landscape. I kept imagining myself with a worn out shotgun slung across my back like Bruce Campbell in Army of Darkness.

I thought I might even get mugged for carrying 2 packs of highly visible toilet paper...

I walked through the area early Monday evening and the vibe had definitely changed. With the few remaining open retail outlets now closed at 8 or earlier, being out after dark is now something I reconsider. Before, I was relatively comfortable among the crowds at any hour.

IMG_3839.jpg

How about renaming Yonge-Dundas Square to Hubbard Square?

It would be named after TWO Toronto well known (or should be better known) personalities.

William Peyton Hubbard, politician, inventor, baker, coachman (born 27 January 1842 in Toronto, ON; died 30 April 1935 in Toronto). Hubbard was Toronto’s first Black elected official, serving as alderman (1894–1903, 1913) and controller (1898–1908), and as acting mayor periodically. A democratic reformer, he campaigned to make the city’s powerful Board of Control an elected body. Hubbard was also a leading figure in the push for public ownership of hydroelectric power, contributing to the establishment of the Toronto Hydro-Electric System. See link.

Frederick Langdon Hubbard (1878–1953) was Chairman of the Toronto Transportation Commission from 1929 to 1930. He was the first African Canadian to serve on the TTC board (first as Commissioner and later as Chairman). Born in Toronto in 1878, Hubbard was son of a high profile African Canadian and Toronto politician William Peyton Hubbard and son-in-law to the first African Canadian licensed to practice medicine in Ontario Anderson Ruffin Abbott (married to daughter Grace Isabell Hubbard). Hubbard died in 1953.
See link.

Would be appropriate to name "Dundas Station" after "Hubbard Square Station", where one of the Hubbards was a Chair for the TTC.

How about renaming Yonge-Dundas Square to Hubbard Square?

It would be named after TWO Toronto well known (or should be better known) personalities.

William Peyton Hubbard, politician, inventor, baker, coachman (born 27 January 1842 in Toronto, ON; died 30 April 1935 in Toronto). Hubbard was Toronto’s first Black elected official, serving as alderman (1894–1903, 1913) and controller (1898–1908), and as acting mayor periodically. A democratic reformer, he campaigned to make the city’s powerful Board of Control an elected body. Hubbard was also a leading figure in the push for public ownership of hydroelectric power, contributing to the establishment of the Toronto Hydro-Electric System. See link.

Frederick Langdon Hubbard (1878–1953) was Chairman of the Toronto Transportation Commission from 1929 to 1930. He was the first African Canadian to serve on the TTC board (first as Commissioner and later as Chairman). Born in Toronto in 1878, Hubbard was son of a high profile African Canadian and Toronto politician William Peyton Hubbard and son-in-law to the first African Canadian licensed to practice medicine in Ontario Anderson Ruffin Abbott (married to daughter Grace Isabell Hubbard). Hubbard died in 1953.
See link.

Would be appropriate to name "Dundas Station" after "Hubbard Square", where one of the Hubbard was a Chair for the TTC.

Personally I suggest we rename it "It's hip to be"

I saw someone on twitter suggested Diversity Street and it surprisingly fits really well. Diversity Square. Yonge and Diversity. Royal York and Diversity. Diversity Street East. One of those rare times a name that is kind of tossed around which sounds like a jab/joke ends up working really well.

How about keeping the name as is? I'm tired of this woke culture

this isn't so much as woke as it is doing the right thing. don't bestow honour on those that run opposite of our ideals. If you can't handle changing a street name for the sake of nostalgia, how can you claim to have ideals in the first place if they're so easily set aside? Integrity matters.

I saw someone on twitter suggested Diversity Street and it surprisingly fits really well. Diversity Square. Yonge and Diversity. Royal York and Diversity. Diversity Street East. One of those rare times a name that is kind of tossed around which sounds like a jab/joke ends up working really well.

While I am for name changes, there has to be a a well thought out process to ensure we are not not just jumping on the bandwagon here.

Dundas St may have been named after a person who did some atrocious things but it's not exactly Mengele Street or Mussolini Square.

Okay, a pile of posts have been deleted.

It appears that a bunch of you have no idea what trolling means, or you're just trying to get away with it anyway: you're writing incendiary posts for the hell of it, knowing that they are going to rile people up, and get a flame war going. Yes, it is possible to have an opinion that's not in line with today's prevailing headwinds, but you need to find a way of making your point respectfully. If you are incapable of acting respectfully because your contempt overwhelms you, then it would be better if you didn't post. If you want a real discussion, then don't use dismissive terms like 'woke culture' that just trigger others. Don't insult others. Don't swear at each other. Don't introduce topics that aren't even tangents, (they're just ranting). Those things will get you banned.

EDIT: Thread now reopened.

Last edited:
...I feel embarrassed that Mr. 42 had to send us all to a corner there. : (

Back