News   Apr 19, 2024
 39     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 448     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 783     3 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Who will pay for the redesign, extras and materials? Developers value engineer everyday and what was not promised on feature lists or contracts, are not obligated to be added in. Sure its sensible, but you would be naive to say that its as easy to sign off. Shelters are not off the shelf for this project. Design, permitting and tendering takes time. With the thousands of backlogs at the city right now, just getting a shelter approved for permit can take months, especially given the current climate. You can tender at the same time but it will cost just as much time to sign the contract.

So yea it'll take an architect and engineer about a months total worktime to design from scratch (AFTER all the various concepts have been weeded out), but everything else behind the scenes in a bureaucratic institution takes much more.

You do not need to design a transit shelter from scratch, or even design them. You buy them from a specialized company/factory that will produce it to order.

Sorry to break to you. Outdoor transit shelters are so mundane you can buy them off Alibaba.

Last edited:
You do not need to design a transit shelter from scratch, or even design them. You buy them from a specialized company/factory that will produce it to order.

Sorry to break to you. Outdoor transit shelters are so mundane that you can by them off Alibaba.

With the Conservatives in both city hall and Queen's Park, they'll "sort from 'low' to 'high'" and select the lowest price. Ignoring everything else.

Sorry to break to you. Outdoor transit shelters are so mundane that you can by them off Alibaba.
How about power to your beautiful heaters. Theyre not magically going to be in place. You still need to give them a design concept to work around and bid for the job. Please tell me what model they are using for the ect right now. I am interested to see the web page on it

Who will pay for the redesign, extras and materials? Developers value engineer everyday and what was not promised on feature lists or contracts, are not obligated to be added in. Sure its sensible, but you would be naive to say that its as easy to sign off. Shelters are not off the shelf for this project. Design, permitting and tendering takes time. With the thousands of backlogs at the city right now, just getting a shelter approved for permit can take months, especially given the current climate. You can tender at the same time but it will cost just as much time to sign the contract.

So yea it'll take an architect and engineer about a months total worktime to design from scratch (AFTER all the various concepts have been weeded out), but everything else behind the scenes in a bureaucratic institution takes much more.
Well of course Metrolinx would/should be paying up for the extra costs associated with the enhanced shelters. The costs which in all honesty, aren't as significant as what some people think it could be.

Metrolinx literally picked the dollar store version of shelter design. To go from a dollar store shelter, to let's say a Walmart version isn't all that significant.

Well of course Metrolinx would/should be paying up for the extra costs associated with the enhanced shelters. The costs which in all honesty, aren't as significant as what some people think it could be.

Metrolinx literally picked the dollar store version of shelter design. To go from a dollar store shelter, to let's say a Walmart version isn't all that significant.

It's like ordering the cheapest possible washroom fixtures for bathrooms that you will not be using, but getting gold-plated fixtures for your own. They would both work the same.

trump-toilet-1024x538.jpg

From link.

How about power to your beautiful heaters. Theyre not magically going to be in place.

Wires have been invented btw. And magical particles called 'electrons' run through them. And each station is hooked up to them. Unbelievable I know.

You still need to give them a design concept to work around and bid for the job.

Joking aside, each of these kinds of stations is never designed from scratch. Unless you pull in a Zaha Hadid-type architects to create the design concepts. even then, they could just pull the basic components from existing designs. Even then, the initial design concepts will never include things like wiring.

Please tell me what model they are using for the ect right now. I am interested to see the web page on it
Of course the Crosstown team didn't order their things from Alibaba... So I won't be able to pull a specific listing from there. (Also note that the page I shared were for bus stops.)
You fail to see my point (that these stations are not complex nor bespoke, therefore the outdoor station designs could have been easily improved for a marginal cost) and I have no idea how to deliver the message...

Yes I know that Doug has put the Eglinton West LRT extension underground for those ridiculous reasons. The post I was responding to seemed to claim that the Crosstown that is currently under construction was put underground by him.
Ohh ok. There was always an underground section on the crosstown because of how narrow some parts of Eglinton is. What Rob Ford wanted was the WHOLE thing or at least 70% of it underground. That faced a lot of backlash because of how expensive and senseless that would be when if you've been on Eglinton, you would know how wide the roads can get on certain parts and it would only make sense to put some of the LRT line above ground.

Yes I know that Doug has put the Eglinton West LRT extension underground for those ridiculous reasons. The post I was responding to seemed to claim that the Crosstown that is currently under construction was put underground by him.
No really that ridiculous now that we know TO wants to turn Eg West into a streetcar. I don't necessary agree it should be fully underground but some grade separation is needed which the city wants to avoid.

No really that ridiculous now that we know TO wants to turn Eg West into a streetcar. I don't necessary agree it should be fully underground but some grade separation is needed which the city wants to avoid.

I hate to say it too. But it really did 'prove him right all along.'

I wish the other councilors pushed for an elevated guideway for the eastern section. We could have had a Skytrain/REM-like system even using the Flexities.

I

I wish the other councilors pushed for an elevated guideway for the eastern section. We could have had a Skytrain/REM-like system even using the Flexities.
I think the most realistic place to test elevated is Sheppard which would also facilitate a conversion of the subway.

I

I think the most realistic place to test elevated is Sheppard which would also facilitate a conversion of the subway.

I'm not sure how it was going to be made into a streetcar, the estimated speed was close enough to the parallel section of Line 2. A few grade separations would be good though, such as Jane and Kipling, as well as a more direct route to the airport.

I'm not sure how it was going to be made into a streetcar, the estimated speed was close enough to the parallel section of Line 2. A few grade separations would be good though, such as Jane and Kipling, as well as a more direct route to the airport.
The city was planning on making each intersection an at-grade crossing. That along with the combination of the stupidity in their refusal to activate signal/transit priority would have significantly reduced speeds. It wouldn't have been as slow as a streetcar due to the stop-spacing, but it would've be damn near close (ie: more comparable to speeds on The Queensway ROW).

Back